X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
    Especially when peoples agenda is clearly only to come here and disrupt the thread, and have no desire to purchase the SSP-800.
    Agreed. alebonau is just another rebel rouser. There are a few other Denon AVP-A1HD owners that have come here to talk about the pro's and cons as it relates to the processor topic and have shown much more classé in the process. I respect that kind of feedback and encourage it. This thread is a means to disseminate information regarding the SSP-800. People should feel free to take the information and do what they want with it. To beat up on the messenger just because he's passionate about what he learns lowers the integrity of the thread. This is supposed to be fun, no? :roll:
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• alebonau
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
      Agreed. alebonau is just another rebel rouser. There are a few other Denon AVP-A1HD owners that have come here to talk about the pro's and cons as it relates to the processor topic and have shown much more classé in the process. I respect that kind of feedback and encourage it. This thread is a means to disseminate information regarding the SSP-800. People should feel free to take the information and do what they want with it. To beat up on the messenger just because he's passionate about what he learns lowers the integrity of the thread. This is supposed to be fun, no? :roll:
      oh its pretty clear to me classéman what your agenda is, as was the case when you came over to the denon AVP thread purely for trolling over on avs. the moderators clearly did not tolerate even one word of it. :roll:

why not stick to some facts in this thread for a change and be the messenger ?. thats what I came to this thread for on my cousins behalf. rather than the sales propaganda and your own highly opinionated ideals that you keep pumping into it ! makes it very hard sorting the fact from the fiction.

If you do indeed want to act as a messenger why take example from sikoniko's ssp800 review thread,

he's doing a wonderfull job being just that the messenger over there.
      "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

En garde, :lol:

This is becoming very belligerent for a hobby, mine is better than yours and so on.....

We should all take a deep breath and chill, it is difficult to be objective as this is very subjective hobby in the first place as our ears are all different and our perception of good music vs bad is also different. Same as taste when I listen to what my kids listen to sometime I could care less what system it's own it sound horrible to me but they love it. Same with food or smell senses they are called not exact science!!!

My problem is with people become intolerant and are always criticizing others because they have different opinions. In medieval times they would burn them to the stick as heretic because they shared their opinion.

Some people say Audyssey is junk because Classé decided to leave it out of the SSP-800!! So why is it that Onkyo/Integra, Denon/Marantz and NAD offer it on their AV along with Silicon Optix Realta HQV, I guess they don't test anything and just want to slap names on their boxes.

To me it is not because Classé decided to forgo technologies that these technology are crap, it just means that for what ever reason Classé decided not to include these technologies Audyssey, THX, Silicon Optix....

So let's us all stop the bashing and compare the SSP-800 to the Denon AVP1 or Integra and for those who cares and pick the best one suited to your needs. That is what I intend to do soon hopefully if Classé stop delaying the release.

PS: I sure hope that the Classé SSP-800 will sound better for me in my system as I love the design and it would go well in my system, but having said that if the Denon AVP1 sound better then that is what I will buy.
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

I respect what you are saying wettou. I agree. I am not saying Audyssey is crap by any means. I'm just saying that it isn't a deal breaker for me to not go with the SSP-800. There are some things it does that is questionable to me. But, to each their own.
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Z Man
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by wettou

This is becoming very belligerent for a hobby, mine is better than yours and so on.....

We should all take a deep breath and chill, it is difficult to be objective as this is very subjective hobby in the first place as our ears are all different and our perception of good music vs bad is also different. Same as taste when I listen to what my kids listen to sometime I could care less what system it's own it sound horrible to me but they love it. Same with food or smell senses they are called not exact science!!!

My problem is with people become intolerant and are always criticizing others because they have different opinions. In medieval times they would burn them to the stick as heretic because they shared their opinion.

Some people say Audyssey is junk because Classé decided to leave it out of the SSP-800!! So why is it that Onkyo/Integra, Denon/Marantz and NAD offer it on their AV along with Silicon Optix Realta HQV, I guess they don't test anything and just want to slap names on their boxes.

To me it is not because Classé decided to forgo technologies that these technology are crap, it just means that for what ever reason Classé decided not to include these technologies Audyssey, THX, Silicon Optix....

So let's us all stop the bashing and compare the SSP-800 to the Denon AVP1 or Integra and for those who cares and pick the best one suited to your needs. That is what I intend to do soon hopefully if Classé stop delaying the release.

PS: I sure hope that the Classé SSP-800 will sound better for me in my system as I love the design and it would go well in my system, but having said that if the Denon AVP1 sound better then that is what I will buy.
            Very well put, and what you've said is something I think we all can agree on.

Seth
            My Martin Logan Theater
            My DVD Collection
            My CD Collection

Comment

• alebonau
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

well said wettou,

live and let live ..... VIVE LA DIFFÉRENCE as they say.

very much agree on what you have posted and your approach

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by alebonau
                oh its pretty clear to me classéman what your agenda is, as was the case when you came over to the denon AVP thread purely for trolling over on avs. the moderators clearly did not tolerate even one word of it. :roll:
                The opportunity presented itself so I staged the maneuver. Admittedly it wasn't an entirely mature move on my part but you got the message and that was the intent. You'll notice that I haven't been back.

why not stick to some facts in this thread for a change and be the messenger ?. thats what I came to this thread for on my cousins behalf. rather than the sales propaganda and your own highly opinionated ideals that you keep pumping into it ! makes it very hard sorting the fact from the fiction.
                As the messenger I've given the facts. I've also expressed some enthusiasm along the way. Is that so bad? I have found audio nirvana in Classe', why wouldn't I sing the praises? If you were as happy with the Denon and MF I'm sure you'd reveal those pleasures as well. Heck, I think that would be something I would like to know. If you had expressed any doubts do you think I would feel more or less optimistic? The fact is the SSP-800 is the best achievement in audio that Classe' has done thus far. I cannot say for certain that it's better than anything else that someone else has done but so far it's looking like it could be.

If you do indeed want to act as a messenger why take example from sikoniko's ssp800 review thread,

he's doing a wonderfull job being just that the messenger over there.
                Dan is fortunate to have that perspective and I respect his input. His feedback shows some support for the theory which has promising implications. :P

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

So far the Classe' piece has been questioned for dropping certain features. I think it would be more interesting to know whether the Denon would have received the same interest had it not included the features as well yet charge the same price. Could it stand on it's own merits? Would people look at it differently? I suspect Onkyo/Integra would benefit more from that, were it the case, than Classe' would.

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

I have mixed feelings about this. Yes subjectivity is a factor but when does it enter the picture? Subjectivity is influenced by many factors outside of personal observations. For instance price has a huge influence on subjective conclusions. Tolerance is another. So when is the line drawn?

The majority of people have an equal capacity to observe things. There will be slight variations in what a person can observe given their physical abilities but on the average they will be similar. That's why annual exams were created to establish a set of norms. However, the way people process that information can very significantly and that can impare real ojectivity. The subjective formula takes more into consideration than just what the data provides. Conditional factors like budgets and acceptance are two variables that will influence the subjective equation.

Using a simplistic example, I think most people will agree that a rose smells better than lantana. It stands to reason as they are not of the same class. But when you compare a rose to something that is of similar class, say a petunia, then it becomes more difficult to distinguish better. Still most people would agree that a rose still smells better. But once you put the rose in a vase add decorations and give it a price tag the rose takes on a different kind of smell.

The same could be said of audio. Some components will sound better than others. Only the perception of that quality will change, but not because it isn't really better, but because it's not better in the ways one would expect or want. I think that a matter of taste only truly becomes important once a certain level of achievement is reached.

Rotel makes great stuff and it does a fairly good job at reproducing music but Classe' is better. Why? In a word, sibilance. Rotel has a case of it whereas Classe' doesn't or it does to a far lesser degree so as not to be detected. Ayre also makes great stuff and it does an excellent job of reproducing music but again Classe' is better. Why? In a word, fatigue. Ayre is crisp whereas Classe' is smooth.

In the first case there is no question that Classe' sounds objectively better than Rotel. In the second case it's questionable that Classe' sounds objectively better than Ayre. It could be that the Ayre would appeal to me more had it been paired with a different brand of speakers. In this case the observation is clearly more subjective. System induced sibilance is indicative of poor design. Fatigue could be a byproduct of distortion levels present in a design or simply a physical hypersensitivity to the product of the sound.

So while I agree that it's a matter of taste, taste is a learned experience. If you've only been exposed to chocolate pudding and have never tried chocolate mousse then you will never really know what tastes good. For the money I'll take the pudding but the mousse is still better. That's real objectivity.

Comment

• Oddiophile
                      • Jul 2008

Hi all,

I am new to this forum so bear with me.

I have been following this thread with considerable interest as I believe it might shed some light on a particular dilemma that I may have.

At present, I have a B&W/Classe CAM-400 system with a Lexicon MC-12B processor. This processor has served me extremely well but is getting a bit long in the tooth (circa 2001). As yet, Lexicon has not revealed a new flagship processor and even if and when they do, I am worried that it will be much too expensive or that it will not do the job. Therefore, I am looking at alternatives with the Classe SSP-800 probably at the top of the list.

Several features that are superb in my current Lexicon are:

1. Surround synthesis from 2-channel modes via Logic 7. Lexicon may well be the best at this.

2. Easy-to-use user interface.

3. Excellent EQ which does the right thing by attacking decay at the lower frequencies (less than 250 hz)

4. Very good bass management.

I know the SSP-800 will almost certainly be a superb processor. However I am wondering how the SSP-800 will do in those areas in which the Lexicon MC-12B excels.

I am particularly concerned about the ability to derive surround channels from 2-channel recordings as (like most of us) I will have a huge collection of 2-channel CDs for a long time. Has anyone had a chance to hear what the SSP-800 can do in this respect? What is known about the Classe music modes and how are they derived?

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Jim

Comment

• RebelMan
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Oddiophile
                        1. Surround synthesis from 2-channel modes via Logic 7. Lexicon may well be the best at this.

3. Excellent EQ which does the right thing by attacking decay at the lower frequencies (less than 250 hz)

I know the SSP-800 will almost certainly be a superb processor. However I am wondering how the SSP-800 will do in those areas in which the Lexicon MC-12B excels.

I am particularly concerned about the ability to derive surround channels from 2-channel recordings as (like most of us) I will have a huge collection of 2-channel CDs for a long time. Has anyone had a chance to hear what the SSP-800 can do in this respect? What is known about the Classe music modes and how are they derived?
                        Welcome to the Club Jim. :T

Some of your questions can be answered now but some will have to wait.

1.) The SSP-800 includes Dolby Pro Logic IIx which is similar to Logic7. It's a tossup between the two but a slight consensus seems to favor the former. I suppose the most obvious difference between the two occurs when steering information sent to the rear channels drifts in front of the listener (Logic7) when it is expected to flow from behind (DPLIIx) with some sources. You may favor DPLIIx or you may not considering your deep familiarity with Logic7. Regardless you are covered.

2.) This is highly subjective. Some people like navigating nested GUI menus some don't. I found the new interface mostly intuitive when I encountered it at first. However, some things were cryptic and there were occasions when firmware fixes and/or feature updates added, removed or rearranged the location of items making simple tasks more or less cumbersome. The changes ended up being more logical in the menu hierarchy but it took some time to become reacquainted with the slightly modified interface. It wouldn't have been an issue had they published a new guide alongside the update. Classé was made aware that it would have been much less frustrating had they.

3.) Little is know at this time about the built-in RC feature other than what has already been stated. I suspect early adopters will shed more light on this area in time. I am anxious to explore this facet of the SSP-800 myself and hope to provide some feedback on it soon.

4.) The first generation Delta Series processors had capable bass management support that could also be automated. I would have liked to have seen more granularity in the settings. As with RC, it remains to be seen how flexible bass management will be in the SSP-800. Unfortunately, the recent demo at Definitive Audio was not conducive to experimenting with the features hidden in the user interface so details about them will have to wait until field reports are published. This was an area I specifically hoped sikoniko could look into but the presentation had hands on restrictions in place to minimize interruptions.

Classé will include custom music modes in the SSP-800 similar to what they did in the SSP-300 and SSP-600. I tried them on for size but hardly use them at all. I've been without my SSP-300 to long to recall how they faired in particular but I suppose they will be similar in the SSP-800. Maybe some first generation owners can chime in until some feedback on the SSP-800 is available. If you can hold tight for a couple more weeks I might be able to get you an answer first hand.

Comment

• alebonau
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Oct 2005

Hi all,

I am new to this forum so bear with me.

I have been following this thread with considerable interest as I believe it might shed some light on a particular dilemma that I may have.

At present, I have a B&W/Classe CAM-400 system with a Lexicon MC-12B processor. This processor has served me extremely well but is getting a bit long in the tooth (circa 2001). As yet, Lexicon has not revealed a new flagship processor and even if and when they do, I am worried that it will be much too expensive or that it will not do the job. Therefore, I am looking at alternatives with the Classe SSP-800 probably at the top of the list.

Several features that are superb in my current Lexicon are:

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Jim
                          hi jim having owned gear with logic7 capability for many years, I can tell you now PLIX is no comparison with the 7.1 surround field logic 7 is able to create. ask any past or present lexicon/HK owner and they'll tell you the same.

A recent discovery to me has been PLIIx + THX and THX ultra2 processsing on my denon avp that I have found to produce a result that surpasses the 7.1 surround field logic 7 is able to achieve from a 2ch source

I am not sure why classe havent got THX/THX ultra 2 certification for the 800 as they have for the previous ssp300 and 600 models but if they do as sinoko has indicated they perhaps might do, then perhaps there will be a an option to meet your needs.

Comment

• Z Man
                            • Jan 2008

hi jim having owned gear with logic7 capability for many years, I can tell you now PLIX is no comparison with the 7.1 surround field logic 7 is able to create. ask any past or present lexicon/HK owner and they'll tell you the same.

A recent discovery to me has been PLIIx + THX and THX ultra2 processsing on my denon avp that I have found to produce a result that surpasses the 7.1 surround field logic 7 is able to achieve from a 2ch source

I am not sure why classe havent got THX/THX ultra 2 certification for the 800 as they have for the previous ssp300 and 600 models but if they do as sinoko has indicated they perhaps might do, then perhaps there will be a an option to meet your needs.
                            I agree, PLIIx + THX and THX ultra2 are pretty awesome.
                            My Martin Logan Theater
                            My DVD Collection
                            My CD Collection

Comment

• RebelMan
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Jim, you might find the following links helpful. They do a fairly job of explaining the technical aspects of DPLII/IIx and how that translates into the listening room.

Dolby Surround Pro Logic II - The Technology and the Sound

Pro Logic IIx: What it Is, How it Works, and a Comparison with Other Formats

Comment

• wettou
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • May 2006

Classé SSP-800 vs Denon AVP1, Yamaha Z11, Pioneer SC9, Integra... ...

In my quest for a new pre/pro I was looking at numerous sites with feed back from customers on many pre/pro and AVR in the price range of $5,000 - $7,000. I found that all of them have problems with this and that, including the Silicon Optix, amplification, false specs as to watt per chanels and more than anything very very lousy customer support!!!

Onkyo being the worst of course the cheapest of all.

For that alone it might make my decision a lot easier and get the Classé SSP-800. At least I know first hand that, I can speak with a Classé customer service or technician in Canada and if there is a problem they will take care of it. I did that when I first bought my amps as one was making funny noises and it was replaced immediatly. Go Classé keep up the good customer service

Now if only I could hear the SSP-800 :T

What did we do before the net!!!
                                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• RebelMan
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

I agree. Many that have frequented this forum will know that my enthusiasm for Classe' doesn't end with the audio capabilities of their products. It begins there. In my search for the perfect component I also consider its price, company vision, corporate solvency, industry impact and legacy, and perhaps most important customer service for receiving support or offering feedback. Classe' is like a Marine, they are among the few and the proud in the world of hifi class companies.

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                    • Jul 2008

THX Certification and Surround Modes

Hi all,

I asked Classe via B&W in Massachesetts about THX certification and what the Music Plus and Movie Plus modes mean.

Here is the reply:

"At Classe, we recognize THX's historical role in assuring that electronic components met reasonable performance standards. However, THX has become standard in a wide range of components, some of which do not deliver the quality of Home Theater experience that Classe customers expect. Furthermore, our experience has been that THX guidelines are sometimes contrary to the quality of performance we want to deliver. As a result, we feel that the value of THX certification has diminished and we have chosen not to seek certification for the SSP-800.

Movie Plus produces stereo output in all available speakers. The output is proportioned with a 60% center width and a 50/50 front to surround distribution. Approximately 15% of the total output is directed to the rears when used.

Music Plus also produces stereo output in all available speakers. The output is proportioned with a 25% center width and a 70/30 front to surround distribution. Approximately 15% of the total output is directed to the rears when used.

The SSP-800 is currently not available at any dealer but we continue to make progress currently estimate that we will begin shipments this month. However we have significant back orders which will limit availability during the first ninety days."

Hmmmm

Jim

Comment

• beden1
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2006

Hi all,

Movie Plus produces stereo output in all available speakers. The output is proportioned with a 60% center width and a 50/50 front to surround distribution. Approximately 15% of the total output is directed to the rears when used.

Music Plus also produces stereo output in all available speakers. The output is proportioned with a 25% center width and a 70/30 front to surround distribution. Approximately 15% of the total output is directed to the rears when used.

Jim
                                      Last night, I was reading on AVS about how the new Marantz pre-pro will not send the new high def lossless codecs out in 7.1. I wonder if this means that the SSP800 will, or is this statement of theirs unrelated?

I guess you still can't assume anything in todays fast changing technological environment!

Comment

• sikoniko
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by beden1
                                        Last night, I was reading on AVS about how the new Marantz pre-pro will not send the new high def lossless codecs out in 7.1. I wonder if this means that the SSP800 will, or is this statement of theirs unrelated?

I guess you still can't assume anything in todays fast changing technological environment!
                                        Your statement is a bit ambiguous. I watched the SSP-800 with DTS-MA in a 7.1 system and all channels were active. Can you elaborate?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

Can you elaborate? Not all HD sources are encoded with 7.1 tracks. In fact only a handful are. Did they mention the sources?

Comment

• wettou
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • May 2006

Thank you Oddiophile for the clarifications, as I said earlier may be after Cedia. It should be a good holiday season!!

I thought this was a cool description:
                                            Classe announced 10-ch processor/preamp SSP-800
                                            The SSP-800 has been designed to accommodate the latest digital source and display devices with HDMI as the de facto connection standard. More than a simple switcher, the SSP-800 serves as an HDMI 1.3a repeater, negotiating video resolution between source and display and both taking digital audio off of and putting it onto the HDMI signal path. The SSP-800 can be said to be a multichannel preamp/processor that has been optimized for digital audio and video interconnections.

The surround sound processor is the core of a high-end home theater system. It directly connects to almost every other component in the system and can either limit or reveal their true potential. Starting over two years ago, the Classe Design Team began an extensive evaluation of the new breed of high definition audio and video technologies. Their research served as the inspiration for a new challenge: the creation of the definitive SSP—a surround sound processor to set the standard as the high definition era dawns. The result is the SSP-800, Classe’s statement preamp/processor.

The SSP-800 was conceived with pure performance as its raison d’être. It can seamlessly weave audio and video into a faithful reproduction of the original master, reproducing music and movies exactly as the artists imagined. It was created by people who are uniquely qualified, having both the technical skill and aesthetic judgment to bring performances to life.

In recent years the development of high definition audio and video has accelerated, rendering many relatively new home theater components incompatible or obsolete. The early adopter’s quest for the latest technology is never cheap or without risk. But those who sought out the highest quality components have been able to relax and enjoy them. They know that the latest technology is rarely a threat to genuine quality.

When a new component is released which wraps important new technologies in a package of superior quality, it is time to sit up and take notice. The introduction of the SSP-800 is just such an occasion, when enthusiasts should consider upgrading their systems.

The SSP-800 is a ten-channel preamp/processor, offering both balanced and single-ended connections for all channels. Audio Digital Signal Processing (DSP) is handled by a Texas Instruments-based platform which operates in 64-bit double precision. It uses floating point arithmetic for all audio signal calculations to ensure the most accurate results possible. All bass management filters, level adjustments and parametric filters also benefit from the added precision. To ensure the SSP-800 retains its value and competitive edge, the Classe Design Team has designed the DSP onto a replaceable module to accommodate a planned future upgrade. The new HD audio codecs may be decoded inside many Blu-ray (or HD DVD) players and output lossless, bit-forbit on HDMI as multichannel PCM. A new dual DSP module is being designed specifically to decode these new codecs inside the SSP-800. When available, it will be offered free of charge to original owners of the SSP-800.

Superior audio performance is achieved by combining this powerful DSP with balanced topologies, advanced component parts and meticulous circuit layout. A dedicated linear power supply using a low-noise toroidal transformer powers the analog audio circuits. Digital and control circuits are powered by their own dual-output, lownoise, high-current switching supply.

High quality digital-to-analog converters and output stage components are configured to ensure exceptional dynamic range and resolution. Audio circuits are isolated from video and control circuits by optocouplers and low voltage differential signal (LVDS) pathways. Digital and analog circuits and grounds are isolated from each other among and within circuit boards.

Throughout the SSP-800 there are examples of HD technology executed at the highest quality level. It is the combination of advanced technology and genuine quality that sets the SSP-800 apart. And while technology and quality give the SSP-800 its intrinsic value, we measure its true worth first on the test bench and then in the sound room.
                                            MUSIC FIRST

Music listening remains the most reliable method of judging sound quality. In fact, no surround processor can accurately reproduce movie sound if it fails to reproduce music properly. At Classe, our first priority is developing components that perform exceptionally well with music. We then turn our attention to processor decoding capabilities and developing features that enhance flexibility and in-room performance.

With musical performance as its benchmark, the SSP-800 was conceived as a high-performance multichannel preamplifier. For two-channel listening both balanced and single-ended analog sources may bypass all analog-to-digital, DSP and digital-to-analog stages. Alternatively, the full range of processing capabilities including bass management and parametric equalization is available for both analog and digital sources.

The SSP-800 changes the game by doing what no preamp/processor has done before: it performs as well with music as a dedicated stereo DAC and preamplifier. The secret of its breathtaking performance lies not in some new parts or special features, although it has many. What sets the SSP-800 apart is the depth of experience never before brought to bear on a multichannel design.

Analog to Digital

Modern source components are increasingly optimized for use with digital interconnections and the SSP-800 capitalizes on this trend. Older surround processors are typically equipped with a vast array of analog inputs. These have been minimized in the SSP-800 and largely replaced by digital connectors. Four HDMI 1.3a (High Definition Multimedia Interface) inputs for audio/video sources are supplemented by standard SPDIF (coax) and EIAJ (optical) digital inputs for audio. HDMI is the connection standard adopted for high definition A/V sources. An HDMI cable may carry 1080p HD video signals and uncompressed multichannel LPCM digital audio as well as the latest HD audio codecs (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio) and certain control signals. Several versions of HDMI have been introduced, each surpassing the other in bandwidth and support for additional features. While the hardware used to transmit and receive on HDMI may be labeled by its version number (the SSP-800 uses version 1.3a for all HDMI inputs and outputs), there will be differences among products’ actual capabilities.

The SSP-800 uses HDMI 1.3a primarily to support the component’s long life in an evolving market. As new sources emerge, the SSP-800 offers the potential for transferring more information into and through its circuitry. For example, the video signal path supports 36-bit Deep Color video, even though Blu-ray Discs are only 24-bit video sources. In general, the bandwidth of components and circuitry in the SSP-800 is sufficient to accommodate all current and proposed next-generation AV sources.
                                            Touchscreen Control
                                            and more

Classe Delta series components were the first A/V products to offer touchscreen control. Since then, touchscreen control has become an integral benefit for other consumer electronics products. Touchscreen control is more reliable and infinitely more flexible than the older style controls using push-buttons with fixed-segment displays. The SSP-800 is custom installation friendly. It is equipped with bi-directional RS-232 control and status, rear panel IR, front panel IR transmitter/receiver, CAN BUS and DC triggers.

REAL WORLD APPLICATIONS

In addition to quality and technology, the SSP-800 has flexibility built in. Its ten-channel design creates the possibility of configuring two channels for additional subwoofers or as mirrors of the front left and right channels for bi-amplifying the front left and right speakers. Alternatively, these two channels may be devoted to delivering audio to a separate room or system, with source selection shared with the main theater and either fixed or variable output.

Five-band parametric equalization is provided for each of the ten channels to help tune the system to its environment. Classe has elected to offer the system EQ as a manual feature. While several automated systems are available on the market, the complexity of room acoustics guarantees that no automatic system can achieve consistent, optimum results. Our experience is that the best results are obtained by combining measurements with human judgment. The filters used in the EQ are rendered accurately by our processor, which uses floating point arithmetic operating in 64-bit double-precision.

The wealth of knowledge applied to the SSP-800 design and the inspiration for its execution do not come from a textbook—they come from the passion and dedication of those who have spent their lives in the pursuit of higher performance. Classe presents the SSP-800—the definitive preamp/processor— for those who share our singular passion for performance.
                                            Last edited by wettou; 09 July 2008, 23:42 Wednesday.

Comment

• beden1
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                              Your statement is a bit ambiguous. I watched the SSP-800 with DTS-MA in a 7.1 system and all channels were active. Can you elaborate?
                                              From the AVS Forum: no 7.1 post processing on the Marantz AV8003

"So today I have spent more time listening to this processor. Listening to CDs in pure direct 2-channel mode was very rewarding, impressed there so far. I watched a couple of TrueHD and DTS Master 5.1 tracks and was also impressed with the level of detail and clarity.

BUT now that I have listened to more HD 5.1 audio I can say that the lack of rear surrounds is HUGE. The whole back of the theater seems "dead" without them, sound travels from the fronts to the sides and then nothing behind, almost seems like all of the sound is coming from the front and no surround present. Switching to dolby digital 5.1 and adding 7.1 post processing makes the entire soundfield come alive and envelope the listener like it should.

When I speak with my rep about the heat, buzzing and others, I will ask him if they plan a firmware update to allow 7.1 post processing."

More clarification:

The following is the response I got directly from Marantz in regard to Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS MasterHD.

"It absolutely decodes those formats. The info you are concerned with means that surround "post-processing" is not available when decoding those formats - for example you cannot apply PL2X or "Multichannel Stereo" to a True HD or HD Master signal. These modes, while available in virtually all other scenarios, are usually applied after the fact to music or non surround content (like regular cable tv) to create a surround effect. What the AV8003 does in the case of True HD etc is play back the signal it is sent perfectly - ie if the soundtrack is 7.1 youget 7.1, if the soundtrack is 5.1 you get 5.1 and so on."

So, no 7.1 by postprocessing for 5.1 signals inputed as HBR.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2005

So the Marantz WILL process 7.1 HBR tracks it just won't allow post-processing of 5.1 HBR tracks into 7.1 channels. Not quite what beden1 was alleging.

The SSP-800 will post-process 5.1 PCM tracks into 7.1 channels but whether the dual-DSP board would allow that with 5.1 HBR encoded tracks will need to be confirmed. It ought to and I suspect it will otherwise it would be significant mark against onboard decoding.

Comment

• rompower
                                                  • May 2008

Cedia 2008.. is in september Hope they won't wait this event to hit the market!

Comment

• alebonau
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Oct 2005

Hi all,

I asked Classe via B&W in Massachesetts about THX certification and what the Music Plus and Movie Plus modes mean.

Here is the reply:

"At Classe, we recognize THX's historical role in assuring that electronic components met reasonable performance standards. However, THX has become standard in a wide range of components, some of which do not deliver the quality of Home Theater experience that Classe customers expect. Furthermore, our experience has been that THX guidelines are sometimes contrary to the quality of performance we want to deliver. As a result, we feel that the value of THX certification has diminished and we have chosen not to seek certification for the SSP-800.

The SSP-800 is currently not available at any dealer but we continue to make progress currently estimate that we will begin shipments this month. However we have significant back orders which will limit availability during the first ninety days."

Hmmmm

Jim
                                                    probably not a biggee its not THX certified like the previous classe models, as there is a lot of fine gear that is not thx certified. But what it does mean is that with no certification for the ssp-800, there will also be no THX or THX ultra 2 capability or processing/post processing. Which I know will be to the dissapointment of atleast one current classe owner potentially considering this unit.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Oct 2005

From the AVS Forum: no 7.1 post processing on the Marantz AV8003

"So today I have spent more time listening to this processor. Listening to CDs in pure direct 2-channel mode was very rewarding, impressed there so far. I watched a couple of TrueHD and DTS Master 5.1 tracks and was also impressed with the level of detail and clarity.

BUT now that I have listened to more HD 5.1 audio I can say that the lack of rear surrounds is HUGE. The whole back of the theater seems "dead" without them, sound travels from the fronts to the sides and then nothing behind, almost seems like all of the sound is coming from the front and no surround present. Switching to dolby digital 5.1 and adding 7.1 post processing makes the entire soundfield come alive and envelope the listener like it should.

When I speak with my rep about the heat, buzzing and others, I will ask him if they plan a firmware update to allow 7.1 post processing."

More clarification:

The following is the response I got directly from Marantz in regard to Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS MasterHD.

"It absolutely decodes those formats. The info you are concerned with means that surround "post-processing" is not available when decoding those formats - for example you cannot apply PL2X or "Multichannel Stereo" to a True HD or HD Master signal. These modes, while available in virtually all other scenarios, are usually applied after the fact to music or non surround content (like regular cable tv) to create a surround effect. What the AV8003 does in the case of True HD etc is play back the signal it is sent perfectly - ie if the soundtrack is 7.1 youget 7.1, if the soundtrack is 5.1 you get 5.1 and so on."

So, no 7.1 by postprocessing for 5.1 signals inputed as HBR.

seems a particualr quirk for the marantz units however there are other units without this kind of limitation. But yes the proof of this kind of thing is defintely in the pudding

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by rompower
                                                        Cedia 2008.. is in september Hope they won't wait this event to hit the market!
                                                        If they are able to ship by the end of the month, and you follow the time-line for how much longer it will take to reach customers in Europe, then CEDIA / September is reasonable to expect for international orders to start...

Comment

• beden1
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2006

So the Marantz WILL process 7.1 HBR tracks it just won't allow post-processing of 5.1 HBR tracks into 7.1 channels. Not quite what beden1 was alleging.
                                                          I'm not sure the word "alleging" fits here, as I was only mentioning what I had been reading about the Marantz unit the night before. Last night I found the response from Marantz, which I included, and served to clarify the point of it's capabilities.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2005

I'm not sure the word "alleging" fits here, as I was only mentioning what I had been reading about the Marantz unit the night before. Last night I found the response from Marantz, which I included, and served to clarify the point of it's capabilities.
                                                            Without the benefit of crossreferences to confirm the information (no links were supplied), the description ...the new Marantz pre-pro will not send the new high def lossless codecs out in 7.1.... was written as a firm assertion. It was seen as an questionable statement (or misunderstanding) invoking the request for more clarification.

Comment

• beden1
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Oct 2006

Without the benefit of crossreferences to confirm the information (no links were supplied), the description ...the new Marantz pre-pro will not send the new high def lossless codecs out in 7.1.... was written as a firm assertion. It was seen as an questionable statement (or misunderstanding) invoking the request for more clarification.
                                                              Wow, Seriously? I think you may be taking yourself too seriously of late. I remember getting lectures in college, but, I graduated a long time ago. :rant:

Sorry I didn't follow your protocall to the tee!

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2005

I think you are being a little too sensitive here. You misunderstood or were mislead by what was said on the other board. It happens sometimes. No biggie. 8)

Comment

• wettou
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2006

The ssp-800, there will also be no THX or THX ultra 2 capability or processing/post processing. Which I know will be to the disappointment of at least one current Classé owner potentially considering this unit.
                                                                  Yes very unfortunate especially since they had the SSP-600 and SSP-300 that had the THX capabilities, but if we believe the rumors it does n't matter since the SSP-800 will walk on water, I wonder if it will work on my pool :P

Comment

• Hberg
                                                                    • Apr 2008

Yes very unfortunate especially since they had the SSP-600 and SSP-300 that had the THX capabilities, but if we believe the rumors it does n't matter since the SSP-800 will walk on water, I wonder if it will work on my pool :P
                                                                    So we can continue to have the wit and wisdom, I would recommend unplugging the unit before testing it with your pool.
                                                                    "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• wer4ccsn
                                                                      • Apr 2008

Great News!

Hello all great people out there -
                                                                      I'm new to this forum and also new to the Classe (thanks to Rebelman!)family which I'm very proud.
                                                                      I just called my dealer regarding the pre-order of the SSp-800 and he toll me
                                                                      (My salesman) that Classe started shipping SSP-800's today! He toll me that I will be receiving my SSP-800 next week by Friday or Saturday!
                                                                      I thought I let you all know this.
                                                                      Have everyone a great weekend, and thank you all for your support and help throughout this great forum, specially Rebelman!
                                                                      Hasta la vista my friends!
                                                                      Carlos

Comment

• rompower
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2008

wer4ccsn... Unfortunately, I doubt...

Comment

• wettou
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                          • 3389

Originally posted by wer4ccsn
                                                                          I just called my dealer regarding the pre-order of the SSp-800 and he toll me (My salesman) that Classe started shipping SSP-800's today! He toll me that I will be receiving my SSP-800 next week by Friday or Saturday! I thought I let you all know this. Carlos
                                                                          Let us know when you get it.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Aug 2003
                                                                            • 2299

Originally posted by wer4ccsn
                                                                            Hello all great people out there -
                                                                            I'm new to this forum and also new to the Classe (thanks to Rebelman!)family which I'm very proud.
                                                                            I just called my dealer regarding the pre-order of the SSp-800 and he toll me
                                                                            (My salesman) that Classe started shipping SSP-800's today! He toll me that I will be receiving my SSP-800 next week by Friday or Saturday!
                                                                            I thought I let you all know this.
                                                                            Have everyone a great weekend, and thank you all for your support and help throughout this great forum, specially Rebelman!
                                                                            Hasta la vista my friends!
                                                                            Carlos
                                                                            My dealer did not reflect the same news, sadly. I hope you get yours by next weekend and are able to report back your observations. Please keep us updated on the status. We all are anxious for 800's to make it in peoples hands. It has been almost a month since I last heard the SSP-800, and I am going through withdrawals!

Comment

• wettou
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2006
                                                                              • 3389

I believe we are now looking at August maybe! That is why I heard from my dealer, I will call Classé in Canada and see what they say!!:T

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jul 2008
                                                                                • 173

Hi everyone,

I just thought I would give you this link to a review of the Denon AVP-A1HDCI audio/video processor. It makes for interesting reading and hopefully will make for some good discussion relevant to this thread.

Jim

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2006
                                                                                  • 3389

Thank you, I also saw that the new Lexicon MC12 review is going for $14,000, it will be interesting to see how the Classé stacks up against Lexicon and Meridian!

Interesting downside:

"The Downside: there is a lot about the Lexicon MC-12 HD that isn’t going to sit well with many consumers trudging through the home theater marketplace.
                                                                                  - For instance, it doesn’t up-convert analog video signals to digital, nor does it scale video to 1080p/24. However, it gets around this in two ways by offering you more HDMI inputs than you’re likely to need right now, even if you have three different HD disc spinners and a DVR, by letting your respective players do all the video trickery if need be.

- It doesn’t have support for the latest uncompressed multi-channel audio formats, although Lexicon has assured me that they’re working on it. "sounds familiar"

- The remote isn’t as flashy as I felt it should be for a product costing as much and looking as good as the Lexicon MC-12 HD does, but it is functional and does work, even outside of line of sight in some cases.

- Lastly, it’s not the greatest audiophile processor you’re going to find, although I can’t imagine many customers truly listening to music through the MC-12 HD,!!!! for they’re bound to have entire systems dedicated to that already.

Like I said, the Lexicon MC-12 HD is purpose-built, you’re buying it for your dedicated home theater, and as a dedicated piece, it is wonderful.

"$14,000 for just home theater!!!! That is what I have always said if the processor does amazing with music HT is a cake walk. Apparently not the other way around?"

- The remote is functional, it clearly does not look as if it has any right being mated to a $14,000 processor. It is cleanly laid out and shockingly familiar right out of the box. It dawned on me why: it’s the same remote that comes packaged with many of today’s processors from Outlaw Audio on up. It is, for lack of a better description, a generic universal remote with a brand name logo screened along the bottom. Does it work? Yes, and it works well, but for the money, I was expecting something so much more.

On the up side LexiconMC12B has things that Classé SSP-800 doesn't have:

- "Auto EQ set-up, I can say that, while not as dramatic as the Audyssey EQ, the effects are still welcome and appropriate, improving the sound quality for the better across the board"

- THX Ultra 2 and THX Surround EX standards

- six HDMI inputs and one output

- 12 HD’s balance audio outputs vs 10

Also I think the Classé looks much nicer RebelMan any comments on where do you think the Classé SSP-800 will smoke the Lexicon!:idea:

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Oct 2006
                                                                                    • 1676

One dealer I have done business with for many years in building my other system has suggested looking into the Anthem D2. I just started reading about this pre-pro, but, investigating all of these available units is starting to be as demanding as researching for a Phd dissertation.

Again, in the interest of exploring all options, (and since we are in a waiting mode anyway for the launch of the SSP-800) has anyone had experience with the Anthem D2 to comment on either way . . . as a possible contender for the Classe SSP-800?

Comment

• style
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Feb 2006
                                                                                      • 1562

The Anthem D2 wit the new room correction EQ is sure a very good gear.

no words. Great sound, great scaler from gemmun inside, upgrade possible...
                                                                                      mo the same accurate steel, finished like SSp800 but is a very, very nive pre/pr.

And at today avaible!!!

In Switzerland the price fromn the D2 is approx. the same from the Classè!!!!!

my friend have the D2 buyed and Rotel powerampli attaced: the sound is
                                                                                      really amazing!

Omar

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jul 2008
                                                                                        • 173

Thank you, I also saw that the new Lexicon MC12 review is going for $14,000, it will be interesting to see how the Classé stacks up against Lexicon and Meridian!

Interesting downside:

"The Downside: there is a lot about the Lexicon MC-12 HD that isn’t going to sit well with many consumers trudging through the home theater marketplace.
                                                                                        - For instance, it doesn’t up-convert analog video signals to digital, nor does it scale video to 1080p/24. However, it gets around this in two ways by offering you more HDMI inputs than you’re likely to need right now, even if you have three different HD disc spinners and a DVR, by letting your respective players do all the video trickery if need be.

- It doesn’t have support for the latest uncompressed multi-channel audio formats, although Lexicon has assured me that they’re working on it. "sounds familiar"

- The remote isn’t as flashy as I felt it should be for a product costing as much and looking as good as the Lexicon MC-12 HD does, but it is functional and does work, even outside of line of sight in some cases.

- Lastly, it’s not the greatest audiophile processor you’re going to find, although I can’t imagine many customers truly listening to music through the MC-12 HD,!!!! for they’re bound to have entire systems dedicated to that already.

Like I said, the Lexicon MC-12 HD is purpose-built, you’re buying it for your dedicated home theater, and as a dedicated piece, it is wonderful.

"$14,000 for just home theater!!!! That is what I have always said if the processor does amazing with music HT is a cake walk. Apparently not the other way around?"

- The remote is functional, it clearly does not look as if it has any right being mated to a $14,000 processor. It is cleanly laid out and shockingly familiar right out of the box. It dawned on me why: it’s the same remote that comes packaged with many of today’s processors from Outlaw Audio on up. It is, for lack of a better description, a generic universal remote with a brand name logo screened along the bottom. Does it work? Yes, and it works well, but for the money, I was expecting something so much more.

On the up side LexiconMC12B has things that Classé SSP-800 doesn't have:

- "Auto EQ set-up, I can say that, while not as dramatic as the Audyssey EQ, the effects are still welcome and appropriate, improving the sound quality for the better across the board"

- THX Ultra 2 and THX Surround EX standards

- six HDMI inputs and one output

- 12 HD’s balance audio outputs vs 10

Also I think the Classé looks much nicer RebelMan any comments on where do you think the Classé SSP-800 will smoke the Lexicon!:idea:
                                                                                        Because the review of the Lexicon MC-12HD came out recently, it could make it appear as if it is Lexicon's new flagship processor. Why this review took so long to come out is beyond me.

Actually the Lexicon MC-12HD has already been out for just over 2 years. It was designed as an interim response to custom installer demand to provide HDMI switching and, via a software upgrade, 1080P. So, comparisons between the MC-12HD and some of the newer processors such as the SSP-800 and the Denon are probably not quite as useful as they might have been.

However, according to one of Lexicon's VPs, Lexicon is working on a redesigned flagship SSP. THAT is the one we should be talking about--if and when it comes out. They had better move quickly or they will be losing market share to the likes of Classe.

Lexicon is extremely secretive about their product launches. To even find out that they are working on something is like pulling hen's teeth. However, based on their track record, they often announce something just before CEDIA so if they are going to do something soon we might just hear about it as early as August. That will make for a very interesting comparison when it comes out.

Jim

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2006
                                                                                          • 1676

Originally posted by style
                                                                                          The Anthem D2 wit the new room correction EQ is sure a very good gear.

no words. Great sound, great scaler from gemmun inside, upgrade possible...
                                                                                          mo the same accurate steel, finished like SSp800 but is a very, very nive pre/pr.

And at today avaible!!!

In Switzerland the price fromn the D2 is approx. the same from the Classè!!!!!

my friend have the D2 buyed and Rotel powerampli attaced: the sound is
                                                                                          really amazing!

Omar
                                                                                          Thanks Omar.

I was reading an AVS Forum discussion that has been quite active regarding the D2, and many seem to be happy with the room equalization and video optimization, as well as the sound quality. Some of the participants in the thread include Kal Rubinson, who apparently is either testing or owns one. I just never heard one in action, and consider the advice on this board to be more familiar. The Anthem D2 is made in America which is a plus, and it seems to have most if not all of the newest feature sets. The price seems to be around that of the Classe SSP-800.

I also don't know how the service is at Anthem, as the service at Classe is very good.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                                            • 3139

Probably in the area that counts most, music. :P

I need to touch briefly on the subject of product launch. Classé is closely working with some of its dealers to ready the SSP-800 for primetime. It is possible that some customers will have access to these pre-production units before the code has been made final. If this phase of product readiness goes well, the SSP-800 will be released to manufacture for final code and quality assurance checks and will ship immediately thereafter. The time is near!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"