This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • merlinus
    • Feb 2008

Thanks to both of you for the responses -- much appreciated!

After viewing the SACDs available at Acoustic Sounds, I am not ready to settle for only CD two-channel, and yet want superb audio.

So what's a poor boy to do....
    merlin

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Well one can always use analogue for SACD, That is what I do with my Integra Reserach RDC7 and Sony XA777ES SACD player. Yes it means 6 RCA cables but it works very well.
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by wettou
        Well one can always use analogue for SACD, That is what I do with my Integra Reserach RDC7 and Sony XA777ES SACD player. Yes it means 6 RCA cables but it works very well.
        I did that with various players and the Meridian 861 but it doesn't hold a candle to direct digital in A/B comparisons.

Kal
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• style
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2006

Ssp800

Hi,

the B&WGroup Switzerland say me that the upgrade for the SSP800
          will be available with decoder for DDplus and DTS master too.

Ssp800 display in a new menu will appear with new possibilities
          of decoding (sound) and more!

SSP800 available in Switzerland from May / June and who buy the version now will receive the update free.

(Aet master or dd plus with compression (PCM) see zipped files for
          Computer code for new sound)

Omar

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by stubie
            I do take into account (not bank on) "what if" scenarios when considering whether a device is suitable for me. I attempt to look ahead to what I'm likely to want to use any particular device for, so that its useful life is as long as possible. In this case the "what if"s are not some "pie in the sky" abilities. They're capabilities that lots of (supposedly) lesser devices have.
            Don’t you think Classe is doing the same thing? From their point of view they are looking at what will appeal to the majority of its customer base while staving off obsolescence and realize a profitable ROI over the lifecycle of the product. If the abilities bred into a product are there primarily for marketing speak, which seems to be the message of the day, then you are doing yourself a disservice buying into it. Once should evaluate true performance delivered from the hardware and the media not datasheets alone.

By your logic, why bother with HDMI 1.3? How much current content has/uses deep colour, or makes use of the full xvYCC YCbCr code range? I think it's realistic to expect that something like xvYCC will be made use of, and there are output devices that can use it, so it's something I'll plan ahead for, hence I want HDMI 1.3. I'll apply similar logic to other aspects of what my pre-amp/processor requirements are.
            Indeed, why bother? What purpose does it (HDMI 1.3) serve really? Right now DeepColor is a pipe dream for pre-recorded media (of any kind) and the HD specifications would have to be rewritten to accommodate it. For someone keeping tabs on future prospects then I wouldn’t expect you to invest to heavily into the new format (Blu-ray).

Unless you have plans to produce your own content with video equipment that can exploit the 1.3 specification then what do you have that HDMI 1.1 doesn’t already provide? Nothing. Yes, I know it has the ability to bit-stream DSD and the HD audio formats but what does this do that can’t be done equally or better by other means? Nothing.

I think prudence should dictate the appropriate course of action when evaluating choices for improving the content we listen to. Do I see value in something like HDMI 1.3? Yes, of course, but only under proportional measure.

SACD and DVD-A are only less relevant (or irrelevant) if you ignore that SACDs and DVD-As do already exist, and people already own them, and want to get the best out of them. There are plenty of high quality choices around for stereo only listening. The hope was that with the SSP-800 there'd finally be something at that level for multi-channel audio - something without all the usual compromises that seem to come with it.
            From where I stand, given that SACDs are almost exclusively intended for the classically inclined, and virtually excluding the rest of the world, fair and equal treatment in turn seems apropos, IMO.

There will always be compromises to multi-channel music from the media selections available to the setup in your home. Some companies are going to major lengths to simplify the complexities but the results are too varied and often disappointing.

I'm sorry, I don't get the connection. Perhaps you could elaborate?
            DVD was graced with a number of storage capacities like DVD5 up to DVD18 supporting dual layers and dual sides and the requirement to utilize DD and the optional dts. In practice compromises were made like the convenience of not having to flip the disc and the overuse of low bit-rates to make room for senseless advertising. Eventually, some discs like the Superbit discs brought back AV quality to it roots with improved sight and sound, albeit minor, but it wasn’t accepted on a wide scale. Point being, having the capacity to provide top performance by maxing out the specifications in hardware does nothing to the software that fails to support it. If you followed what you said about planning for the future then you never would have bought into the idea of owning a DVD player because the media didn’t full support the specification.

If the capabilities end up being similar to the DAE-6D (which does do Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD) then it still won't support 192/24 MPCM, though its specs, like for the DAE-7, do imply it could do stereo 192/24 - but I would like confirmation of that.
            We will know soon enough what is in store for MPCM upgrade. As for how this pertains to content, NOTHING supports 24/192 resolution across multiple channels, not even DSD.

Of course I am. From my point of view, and as selfish as it sounds, that's all that matters to me in this case
            Then why question the motives of others? LOL

There are non-PCM mastered SACD titles.
            There are a few, relatively speaking.

It's certainly true that having good clean power, low jitter, balanced topology, a quality isolated analog signal path etc. makes a big difference. But it also helps to have the best source material you can. In fact, the better the rest of the system, the more likely deficiencies in the source will be noticed/heard.
            Of course as does the contrary point that devices flaunting a few head turning specifications does not imply commensurate performance. Having the compatibility to play SACDs in their native tongue (DSD) does not ensure optimal performance. Though the numbers only game is certain to ensure the marketing department’s continued tenure.

I don't consider that MPCM (96/24 or otherwise) is meant to primarily be for video sources. DD/DD+/TrueHD and DTS/DTS-HD MA, etc. are intended primarily for video. MPCM on some Blu-ray discs is likely there because of a lack of access to a TrueHD/DTS-HD encoder at the time, or the expectation that many players/processors don't have TrueHD/DTS-HD decoding ability yet, but they still wanted to show off how much better Blu-ray could be than previous DD/DTS, and also not be out-done by HD-DVD. Unlike HD-DVD, both TrueHD and DTS-HD decoding are optional with Blu-ray, so not having the ability to decode either lossless format would be possible or even probable for early players. But PCM is mandatory, so that was used to provide lossless/uncompressed audio. With growing TrueHD/DTS-HD decoding support, MPCM for Blu-ray movie soundtracks may become less common.
            Your considerations are speculative. The inclusion of MPCM on the SSP-800 is certainly not intended for anything but video sources. It’s true that Blu-ray specifies 16/44.1/48 LPCM as being mandatory but it leaves the selection of channels and resolution up to its authors. Meanwhile, Dolby/dts have defined their requirements for optimal HD audio at 24/96. If 24/96 MPCM audio wasn’t intended as the echelon for HD video sources then industry support from hardware manufactures would be fleeting.

The reality is we as enthusiasts are at the mercy of the studios to exploit the MPCM specifications as they have been outlined. To date none of the studios have delivered on all accounts and it is unlikely they will. We can only hope they will. For now it seems that achieving 24/96 is simply too much to ask but whether a studio chooses LPCM or the lossless forms of Dolby or dts, the choice is simply a means to an end. The selection only becomes relevant when the transfers from the original master recordings differ.

Frankly, I consider music being played on a system that goes beyond a 2.0 configuration of full range monitors too distracting and gimmicky not to mention the enormous difficulty that is involved in getting it to sound authentic. My level of appreciation stops with reproduction of a live performance or studio recording with two (maybe even three speakers) that simulates the act (not the room) in real time and within the natural acoustics of my listening space. I simply have no interest in reproducing the same reverb and transient decay from the original venue. While the lure of an existential experience may be too over powering for some to overcome I don’t see virtual teleportation as having any real purpose. I aim to experience “you are there” from close range not as if I were sitting in the back of the room. If I wanted to experience audience participation then I would purchase a ticket. Perhaps others see it this way too and perhaps why Classe’ chooses to initially support 24/192 2.0-PCM rather than 24/192 MPCM for audio only sources.

Ideally something like the SSP-800 would do decoding of all DD and DTS formats, since (so the theory goes) it will have superior signal processing, bass management, speaker delay etc. (which of course should be able to be applied to MPCM too), perhaps even just a better quality/precision DD/TrueHD/DTS/DTS-HD decoder (though wouldn't it all just be whatever MDS provide to any/all of its customers?). It also improves consistency for things like decoding volume levels (it's amazing the differences I've heard between various DTS decoders) and application of dialog normalisation, and other format specific abilities, between different source devices. So there is incentive to always use bitstream to the pre-amp/processor. I don't think I've used my DVD players' DD or DTS decoding ever - just send the bitstream straight to the pre-amp/processor, and I expect that's how things will eventually play out once TrueHD/DTS-HD decoders in pre-amps/processors/receivers are de rigueur, and so for video, using MPCM would become uncommon - it would be the exception.
            It would be ideal as well as convenient for the SSP-800 to do all of the decoding but some lack thereof doesn’t preclude it’s usefulness nor its ability to perform optimally. It’s equally amazing the number of false conclusions formed from the number of missteps I have seen executed in the evaluation of various decoders and sound systems in general.

So the use of MPCM then becomes primarily for multi-channel music. Since S/PDIF hasn't been able to carry multi-channel high-res audio (at least in some music-industry approved copy protected form), those who want digital from an SACD player have been stuck with barely supported i.Link (almost always with DSD streams), and those who want full-res digital from DVD-A have been stuck with, err... nothing (without DVD-A player modification). MPCM (or DSD) over HDMI finally gives us a standard/supported method for multi-channel digital transport of high-res music to a pre-amp/processor/DAC. I see this as the primary use for MPCM.
            If this were true then the SSP-300 and SSP-600 would have fully adopted the MPCM standard that formed years ago with the advent of DVD-Audio and HDMI 1.1. MPCM music trailed on the coattails of DVD-Video which lead to the self-serving purpose of creating another revenue stream for its creators. It didn’t work but rather fragmented and weakened an already delicate situation for audiophiles as music downloading was beginning to catch on. MPCM real purpose is to reinvigorate the market place for video enthusiasts. Sony after all made LPCM mandatory for Blu-ray not SACD.

Unfortunately, since the SSP-800 won't (initially) support TrueHD or DTS-HD MA, the use of MPCM for video will be much more common than it really should be. Simply because the SSP-800 won't have TrueHD/DTS-HD decoding, MPCM support becomes a requirement for video. Perhaps this is why Classé would consider support of MPCM to be primarily intended for video (though DTS-HD could be 192/24 for 2 channels and the Blu-Ray spec allows for TrueHD at 192/24 for 6 channels, neither of which the SSP-800 would cope with).
            Perhaps, but neither Dolby TrueHD nor dts-HD MA support 24/192 so there no point for Classe’ or anyone for that matter in doing so.

For those of us who would be intending to use (high-res) MPCM for music, I'd like to see it done properly with 192/24 support. The DACs are there to support it. Without it, "The SSP-800 makes no compromises" isn't exactly true is it?
            NO ONE is doing multi-channel 24/192 music “properly”. The DVD-A specification is limited to 24/96, the advanced codecs are limited to 24/96 and SACD is theoretically limited to 20/192 when transcoded to MPCM. The SSP-800 makes no compromises to the music. But people insisting on reproducing hires hall effects may feel overlooked. Most manufacturers and content providers cater to two-channel music loving aficionados, including yours truly, and perhaps for good reason.

That depends. If everyone else knew the McLaren F1 was governor limited, then it might not have quite the same appeal.
            Not possible. You know as well as I that there’s more to a high performance sports car than just raw horse power.
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Stevebez
              • Oct 2003

Ths sounds like a a wonderfull piece of kit ... but as with all things technology they will never be everything to everybody... inevitably something will fall short somewhere - there are just too many bases to cover...

Personally I would say Classe cover pretty much all the bases I would need and more ... so in terms of that I am blown away... cannot say I can commit the funds yet though

Who knows what next codec will come along that will need a different processor etc (at least thats upgradeable - but again thats only usefull if an upgrade is actually provided)

In my experience with equipment that attemps to cater for an upgrade path always fall short as invariably, somewhere in the signal / processing chain, some core hardware element is not compatible in some repsect or other with a new technology....

I admire what Classe is trying to do here... and its very tough developing a comprehensive unit with technology changing daily...

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                From where I stand, given that SACDs are almost exclusively intended for the classically inclined, and virtually excluding the rest of the world, fair and equal treatment in turn seems apropos, IMO.
                Fair and equal? The reason that there are many classical SACD releases is that enough of the classical marketplace buys them and that makes them attractive to the producers. The problem with the rock/pop market is that the number of people who care about sound quality is proportionately microscopic, being diluted by the vast ocean of mindless headpounders. If you want to lay the blame somewhere, don't put it on those who do what is right. Put it on those who don't.

Kal
                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

I would agree with Kal the SACD market thrives in the classical area because the Classical aficionado are willing to buy and listen to high quality music. I love pop and rock but it hurts my ears when I listen to an ipod MP3 files on a decent pair of speakers.
                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• merlinus
                    • Feb 2008

May I suggest you take some time to peruse the offerings at Acoustic Sounds? I discovered enough jazz and rock SACDs, in addition to classical, to make my mouth water, and changed my plan to purchase the Classe CDP-202 because it does not support that format.

And some of the MCH disks have sent me in search of a way to incorporate that option as well.

As always, YMMV!
                    merlin

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by merlinus
                      May I suggest you take some time to peruse the offerings at Acoustic Sounds? I discovered enough jazz and rock SACDs, in addition to classical, to make my mouth water, and changed my plan to purchase the Classe CDP-202 because it does not support that format.

And some of the MCH disks have sent me in search of a way to incorporate that option as well.

As always, YMMV!
                      What does YMMV stands for, also what SCAD player do you have! I want to upgrade my SACD which now only has Analogue out I would like one with HDMi DSD support.

Comment

• merlinus
                        • Feb 2008

YMMV = Your mileage may vary. In other words, your experience may be different from mine.

I do not have an SACD player, hence my enquiries. My CD player is a 17-year-old Sony C77ES.

I recently upgraded my system to 5.1 with B&W speakers and Classe CA-5100 amp, and am awaiting delivery of an SSP-800. I am using an NHT loaner processor from my dealer for now.
                        merlin

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                          Fair and equal? The reason that there are many classical SACD releases is that enough of the classical marketplace buys them and that makes them attractive to the producers. The problem with the rock/pop market is that the number of people who care about sound quality is proportionately microscopic, being diluted by the vast ocean of mindless headpounders. If you want to lay the blame somewhere, don't put it on those who do what is right. Put it on those who don't.
                          Or it could be the only viable market place to sell classical releases; it's not the most popular genre you know. It also seems to me that most SACD titles come from indie labels where the competition for shelf space is scarce and production costs are more manageable. Coupled with "audiophiles" that don't mind paying the premiums and you perpetuate the niche market but only for the esoteric.

I'm slightly more fortunate than some in that SACDs haven't totally abandoned the Jazz genre but it's still too frustrating to find the works from most of the artists that I truly enjoy. That could be because they are still largely produce by the major labels mostly interested with the business of selling more songs and with less interest in selling better quality. Or maybe it's because people that had an interest in the hires format slowed their investments because the quality most of the time wasn't there thus deterring continued production. Which ever the case maybe, the lack of quality from hires formats continues even for your preferred genre to some extent. I still find it a little disheartening, don't you?

I'm not so sure I fully concur that the rock and pop group careless about quality. I do, however, think they care more about compatibility, availability and costs. I'm not looking for blame but when the only group that complains about hires capable equipment falling a little short is the same group that assumes music transfers to hires media, which itself falls short on ideal specifications, will be unrealized with said equipment, it gets my dander up.

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

Well it would just be nice if Classé who is marketing to audiophile were to support the best high music resolution formats, SACD (DSD).

As I said before if a company like Oppo can do it why not Classé!

OPPO DV-980H universal DVD player,
                            Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, OPPO Digital designs and markets high quality digital electronics that deliver style, performance, innovation, and value to A/V enthusiasts and savvy consumers alike. The company's attention to core product performance and strong customer focus distinguishes it from traditional consumer-electronics brands.

Of course idealy it would be even better all digital format on a flash drive, iTune uncompressed or Studio Master file may be one of these days! :P

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by merlinus
                              YMMV = Your mileage may vary. In other words, your experience may be different from mine.

I do not have an SACD player, hence my enquiries. My CD player is a 17-year-old Sony C77ES.

I recently upgraded my system to 5.1 with B&W speakers and Classe CA-5100 amp, and am awaiting delivery of an SSP-800. I am using an NHT loaner processor from my dealer for now.
                              Interesting, I have not ordered the Classé SSP-800 yet I am still on the fence between the Classé and the Denon Pre/pro!

Let me know which SACD you are evaluating! I have been looking at the

Comment

• merlinus
                                • Feb 2008

Marantz DV9600. It has multi-channel SACD, DVD-A and CD in addition to video.

I saw it for $1200 (USD) at musicdirect.com.
                                merlin

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2006

Or it could be the only viable market place to sell classical releases; it's not the most popular genre you know. It also seems to me that most SACD titles come from indie labels where the competition for shelf space is scarce and production costs are more manageable. Coupled with "audiophiles" that don't mind paying the premiums and you perpetuate the niche market but only for the esoteric.
                                  I have been told by a number of producers that the SACD offerings are marginally profitable or marginally unprofitable but they do it (1) to attract audiophiles with marginal interests in their repertoire, (2) the minority of classical listeners who care about it, and/or (3) because they believe that multichannel is the future and they need to record it and promote it.
                                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• RebelMan
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Well it would just be nice if Classé who is marketing to audiophile were to support the best high music resolution formats, SACD (DSD).
                                    I agree that it would be nice to have full support for all digital formats. Still one should maintain a realistic perspective that partial support of the formats is not the exception but rather the (sufficient) rule.

There are only about a thousand DSD (20% all told) recorded discs. The bulk of SACDs are re-encoded PCM transfers and many of these do not support more than a couple channels and when they do go multi-channel it's up to 24/96 not 24/192. The SSP-800 supports 24/192 resolution in two channels and 24/96 for multiples which is more than satisfactory but to some it puts the SSP-800 in a bad light compared to the "lesser" guys. There's no logic in possessing hardware that could playback in 24/192 and touting the feature as though it is making a real difference to the content one owns when in fact the majority of content doesn't support it. If the converse were true, then it would make sense to fault the SSP-800 but like it or not this is not the situation.

Anyone that would consider sacrificing real audiophile performance across the board for the slight likely hood that another 96KHz of sampling on a few discs is going to endow their ears with an aural revelation indicates some contempt for the hobby. The listener is no longer interested in sound quality but rather theoretical sound quantity. I suspect one of the reasons why Kal hasn't replaced his Meridian 861 RSC with the DSD enabled Integra DTC-9.8 is because he needs Trifield processing to support his growing library of two-channel SACDs and to keep his 802D center full and happy.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

I have been told by a number of producers that the SACD offerings are marginally profitable or marginally unprofitable but they do it (1) to attract audiophiles with marginal interests in their repertoire, (2) the minority of classical listeners who care about it, and/or (3) because they believe that multichannel is the future and they need to record it and promote it.
                                      Okay, but let's add that (4) the Internet has facilitated them with the means to market. :W

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2006

Okay, but let's add that (4) the Internet has facilitated them with the means to market. :W
                                        And, for that, we are grateful. ;x(

Kal
                                        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2006

I suspect one of the reasons why Kal hasn't replaced his Meridian 861 RSC with the DSD enabled Integra DTC-9.8 is because he needs Trifield processing to support his growing library of two-channel SACDs and to keep his 802D center full and happy.
                                          Wrong.

I do not know of many 2channel SACDs in my collection of some 2000+! I acquired a few of the original Sony reissues, probably no more than 6-10 of them. I listen primarily to mch SACDs or to CDs or to FM. For the latter two, Trifield is often useful, but not always.

So, I keep the Meridian because it does everything within its spec superbly. And now that I can feed SACD to it via 3xS/PDIF, its repertoire is greatly expanded.

Note, too, that the Meridian is in the music system (with its 5" LCD screen) while the Integra is, currently, in the HT system (with its 50" plasma). :W
                                          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• merlinus
                                            • Feb 2008

I listen primarily to mch SACDs
                                            Do you listen to these in surround sound, with fronts plus sub, or ???
                                            merlin

Comment

• RebelMan
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

And now that I can feed SACD to it via 3xS/PDIF, its repertoire is greatly expanded.
                                              What are you using for the source player and how are you splitting the signal?

Note, too, that the Meridian is in the music system (with its 5" LCD screen) while the Integra is, currently, in the HT system (with its 50" plasma). :W
                                              Remind me, which one is in CT?

Comment

• wettou
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • May 2006

Wrong.

I do not know of many 2channel SACDs in my collection of some 2000+! I acquired a few of the original Sony reissues, probably no more than 6-10 of them. I listen primarily to mch SACDs or to CDs or to FM. For the latter two, Trifield is often useful, but not always.

So, I keep the Meridian because it does everything within its spec superbly. And now that I can feed SACD to it via 3xS/PDIF, its repertoire is greatly expanded.

Meridian player do you use! Do you have experience with any other?

I am looking to upgrade my Sony

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2006

What are you using for the source player and how are you splitting the signal?
                                                  Oppo 980H with a mod from http://www.switch-box.com/Home.html

Remind me, which one is in CT?
                                                  The big(ger) screen.

Kal
                                                  Kal Rubinson
                                                  _______________________________
                                                  "Music in the Round"
                                                  Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                  http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2006

Meridian player do you use! Do you have experience with any other?

I am looking to upgrade my Sony
                                                    I am using several players but, so far, the only one that does the 3xS/PDIF is an Oppo.
                                                    Kal Rubinson
                                                    "Music in the Round"

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

Oppo 980H with a mod from http://www.switch-box.com/Home.html
                                                      Very slick! So you actually have two Oppo 980H's, one for each system (HDMI for HT and 3xS/PDIF for MCH)?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Mar 2006

Very slick! So you actually have two Oppo 980H's, one for each system (HDMI for HT and 3xS/PDIF for MCH)?
                                                        At present, a modded 980 for audio system and a stock 983 for the HT.

Kal
                                                        Kal Rubinson
                                                        "Music in the Round"

Comment

• wettou
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • May 2006

Cool, I might just do the same thing, the cost is not so prohibitive so it make sense.

I sent an email to Oppo to let them know that when they design their Blu Ray Player it should be the 983+ SACD (DSD)+ Blu Ray with DD Tru Audio and DTS Master Audio

Also my dealer mentioned that the Classé SSP-800 is still on schedule for May 1st!

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2006

I sent an email to Oppo to let them know that when they design their Blu Ray Player it should be the 983+ SACD (DSD)+ Blu Ray with DD Tru Audio and DTS Master Audio
                                                            I hope so but it seems unlikely.
                                                            Kal Rubinson
                                                            "Music in the Round"

Comment

• wettou
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • May 2006

They were very polite and said they will keep it in mind, we will see! I would pay $1000 for such a player, cheap compared to Denon

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2006

They were very polite and said they will keep it in mind, we will see! I would pay $1000 for such a player, cheap compared to Denon
                                                                Frankly, considering the cost and size of the Oppos, stacking a pair (or more) is a comfortable solution for me.
                                                                Kal Rubinson
                                                                "Music in the Round"

Comment

• wettou
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2006

Hello Kal,

I think I might just go the same route, so which Oppo do you recommend for SACD! I know for video the 983.

Have you tried Kaleidescape, is it as good as the Oppo for upscaling video?
                                                                  Last edited by wettou; 13 April 2008, 16:06 Sunday.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2007

Interesting, I have a few questions:

- What is the price, still $8,000 US
                                                                    - Has Classe made a press release or brochure available?
                                                                    - Will they upgrade the SSP-800 to support Dolby Digital Tru HD and DTS Master Audio?
                                                                    Will the upgrade be free? When will it be available?

Thanks
                                                                    We just received a letter that was sent to dealers about the SSP-800. Classe stated that the upgrade to the processors (that will include internal DD+, Dolby TrueHD, dtsHD HR and dtsHD MA decoding) will be free when it becomes available.

It is on schedule to ship at the beginning of May and it's still $8000.00 US. There wasn't any lit yet, but it's coming.

Eric

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2006

I think I might just go the same route, so which Oppo do you recommend for SACD! I know for video the 983.
                                                                      Depends on how and to what you connect it.

Have you tried Kaleidescape, is it as good as the Oppo for upscaling video?
                                                                      I have not idea what that is.

Kal
                                                                      Kal Rubinson
                                                                      "Music in the Round"

Comment

• Minardi2
                                                                        • May 2007

Per HifiGuyMi's post above

Here is the text of the Classe info he was talking about. And don't ask me where I got it. :W

The SSP-800 is nearing completion, with North American shipments scheduled to begin in May. Upon its release, we expect it to be the best high-end preamp/processor available at any price.

There is a lot of uncertainty surrounding the new HD audio formats, such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. It remains unclear to almost everyone exactly which players and processors can decode what signals, or where and how they’ll be decoded so it is worth stating something you can tell a customer without equivocation: if you want to capture every advantage from the new HD audio and video formats, purchasing the SSP-800 is a no-risk proposition.

The SSP-800 will be among the first high-end SSPs to offer full HDMI 1.3a repeater functions and its DSP module is upgradable. In fact, a custom dual-processor is being developed to allow decoding of both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio at the highest fidelity possible. While DSP chips capable of decoding these codecs do exist today, none have the horsepower required to do everything we require of a Classé preamp/ processor.

Naturally, designing a system with dual DSPs which must work together is a complex project which takes some time. Since customers with players capable of decoding and outputting the new formats on LPCM will get substantial benefits using the SSP-800 with the current single-chip DSP, there is no reason to withhold the preamp/processor from the market. Our intention is to offer the upgrade to SSP-800 owners at no charge as soon as it is ready. A simple field upgrade is planned where modules are swapped and new software is loaded.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                          • 3139

Originally posted by Minardi2
                                                                          Krell is releasing their upgrade to the S-1000 about the same time the 800 is coming out. I'm looking forward to getting both pieces and the companies respective five channel amps home for a demo to compare them to each other and my resident Krell Showcase gear.
                                                                          Have these plans changed given the dealer announcement you were privy too? :W

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2007
                                                                            • 1532

Kal,

The Kaleidescape is a media server for movies and music (it's very cool). They are planning on having BD capability in the not to distant future.

Eric

Comment

• wettou
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2006
                                                                              • 3389

Originally posted by Minardi2
                                                                              Krell is releasing their upgrade to the S-1000 about the same time the 800 is coming out. I'm looking forward to getting both pieces and the companies respective five channel amps home for a demo to compare them to each other and my resident Krell Showcase gear. :W
                                                                              I can't wait to hear your report comparing the new Krell with the Classé!

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2006
                                                                                • 3389

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                                                                Kal, The Kaleidescape is a media server for movies and music (it's very cool). They are planning on having BD capability in the not to distant future. Eric
                                                                                It is a $27K, movie and music server the blu ray will go for $4,000!!! The margins are over 50 points!! :E

Comment

• style
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Feb 2006
                                                                                  • 1562

Ssp800

Ji,

In Switzerland the marketing man from BWGroup have me said that the SSP800 in juni will be available with the extraordinary dual DSP, and much more.
                                                                                  At the first time with "norma" decoding DD and DTS but where buy now the SSP800 have later free the update for the DTS Master,DD Plus,...l

Will be like having a technology (chips) compression version zip
                                                                                  As computers .... without any data loss.....

Sure the great pre/pro today available.

Omar

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2006
                                                                                    • 3389

Omar

This interesting if the new chip comes out in June, why launch the product in May and then have the unit upgraded! I would rather wait until the Classé SSP-800 is fully upgraded!

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2007
                                                                                      • 1532

I think he meant that the SSP-800 will be available in June in Switzerland and the upgrade will be later. Classe has not set a date for the DSP upgrade.

Eric

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2006
                                                                                        • 3389

Well that makes more sense,

Classé had mentioned that when they launch the SSP-800 they would be very clear on the date and price or the upgrade so we won't have any surprises. I have not seen anything official yet.

Comment

• Minardi2
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • May 2007
                                                                                          • 63

Have these plans changed given the dealer announcement you were privy too? :W
                                                                                          They may have changed, but not due to the announcement. At the moment I may be replacing my 15 year old Nissan with something a bit more fun, shall we say. So that would preclude any possible HT purchases for a bit.

When the time comes I will still do my best to get all the gear home for a demo.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                                            • 3139

Classé had mentioned that when they launch the SSP-800 they would be very clear on the date and price or the upgrade so we won't have any surprises. I have not seen anything official yet.
                                                                                            Correction. Classé said they would have a definitive decision on whether the upgrade board would be forthcoming or not and its cost. This was officially confirmed with the dealer announcement. The only time frame that Classé could commit to regarding the availability of the upgrade board (at launch time) was for some time later in the year (at best). People that were on the fence regarding the upgrade and supported formats no longer need be.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"