X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bent
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2003

Yup, that's right. I'll lift with my knees and walk on my hands, LOL.

I think I'll take heed from your mentioning how "challenging" it is to mount a driver like this in a cutout... I'm going to see if I can mount it on the front baffle first, then screw/glue it down.

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

I tell yah, my arms were sore supporting the 1203 from underneath while trying to get it positioned. I had my arm in the port hole supporting the sub from underneath, it was hard on the arms.

In the sealed units I can see it being hard on the finger tips :B
      Bing

Comment

• Bent
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2003

Well, I got the beast today - this driver is nothing like I imagined, I had no idea that it was made of that much metal... I stepped on our shipping scale and weighed myself at 225 pounds, then I carried the un-crated driver onto the scale, it and myself said 265 pounds. (thats 40 pounds of metal/magnet/rubber/foam and paper.)
        I was a tad worried about a foam surround being robust enough to hold up to the abuse it would be subjected to, but this surround seems to be much more than just a simple foam surround - it's incredibly thick, at least to my untrained eye, and quite stiff to boot!
        The driver's stylish edge gasket was slightly damaged (pinched thru in one spot by trhe baskets' edge), but I'm sure that with the weight of this driver, I'd have gotten frustrated trying to utilize the rubber and wind up destroying it anyway, so no foul - I'll just run it Nekkid in it's box/enclosure, I intended to counter-sink the driver anyways.

I'm more than happy with how this unit appears, I can understand why it can put up with 1kw (or better), it's is very solid in every respect.

Thanks a million Kyle, I appreciate the effort and your patience.
        Last edited by Bent; 03 November 2004, 09:12 Wednesday.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

People are always impressed at first sight of these drivers, and their performance doesn't disappoint either ..... :B

It's too bad they're going to disappear, since for the money there's nothing even close to what they offer.... :cry:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Kyle Richardson
            • Aug 2000

It's too bad they're going to disappear, since for the money there's nothing even close to what they offer....
            I know, I know. I'm checking into what I can do and what feasible options are open. Nothing will be done within the next month or two but possibly within 6 months? We'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

That's great news Kyle :T

Comment

• Bing Fung
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

Hey Guys, I'm thinking I should buy another 1203 so I can maybe make a pair of smalled sealed or ported boxes with 2 x1203's. However the 1503 is only $20 bucks more. Should I get a 1503 and run a 15 and a 12 at the same time? Are there issues with running dissimular subs?

I was thinking 2 x 1203's would be more flexible in placement because I could build smaller boxes for them than 1 x 15.
                Bing

Comment

• Kyle Richardson
                  • Aug 2000

I, personally, wouldnt run two different drivers in different enclosures. The frequency responses will be different and will make integrating them into the system much, much harder. If you go with multiple subs, I'd go with the same drivers in the same enclosure alignments so the frequency response is the same and then all you have to worry about is placement and crossover issues.

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I second Kyle's advise.

If you want more output; either duplicate your existing box, or put the 1203 box in the kitchen, and build a monster ported box using the 1503. Power it with a strapped Crown K2 and, and, and, ....... :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Bing Fung
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2000

I think you guys misunderstood..

I stated I was thinking of getting another BP1203 so I could make a matching Pair of subs. Either each in a ported enclosure, or each in a sealed enclosure.

My question was the 15" is only a few dollars more, so would it be better to run matched subs 2 x 12 (in separate boxes) or 1 x 12 in a separate box and 1 x 15 in a separate box.

I was worried the dissimular subs would not sound, or be harder to set up over a pair of matched subs (All separate enclosures :wink: ).

Mmmmm.... Strapped K2 :T :drool:
                      Bing

Comment

• Kyle Richardson
                        • Aug 2000

Yep, we understood what you meant the first time

It would still be better to run 2 of the same driver, either together in the same enclosure or in separate enclosures, rather than run 1 12" and 1 15" in separate enclosures.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Aug 2000

Right, you are Kyle, Thanks :T

I have all the bass I need for my room and Application now, however I was just planning for the future with excess at the ready :B :B
                          Bing

Comment

• Bent
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2003

I've actually heard of folks (well, ok - one folk) having success with just that, a pair of radically different subs in radically different locations - like one sub up front but off to the side a bit to give the room the full impact that a large well powered sub can provide, and a different smaller sub (crossed over even lower, but run harder) immediately beside or adjacent the primary seating area to give the "'ol pantlegs a flutter"... I don't know if this is an acoustically accurate method - not likely, but it's what works for him to make him happy.
                            I guess we all get out of this hobby what we want, but it need not be what the next guy wants, or likes - for that matter. And that IS what matters. I say all the more power to them - if they truly do enjoy such things.
                            YMMV.

(there goes all of my credibilty...) :T

Comment

• Bing Fung
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ThomasW
                              put the 1203 box in the kitchen, and build a monster ported box using the 1503. Power it with a strapped Crown K2 and, and, and, ....... :B
                              Thomas, are you serious about putting the 1203 in the kitchen and building a 15"? Why the kitchen? :lol:

Ben, like I should bolt the BP 1203 to the back of my sofa, like in car audio, and then build a ported 15" monster huh :W
                              Bing

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Why the kitchen?
                                Doesn't everyone need a good sub in their kitchen? I guess I need to label the jokes ......:wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                  Doesn't everyone need a good sub in their kitchen? I guess I need to label the jokes ......:wink:
                                  :laughat: :laughat: :laughat:

Thats what I thought, but you never can be sure with you Thomas... I though it could have been one of those great Audioworx secret tweaks :W
                                  Bing

Comment

• Bent
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Sep 2003

OK guys it's me again, since I'm getting closer to building...

I needed to confirm some measurements of the AS-15,
                                    are the internal measurements 15" wide X 32-3/4" deep X 26" high? (assuming all double layered 3/4" mdf, excepting the front which is 3 layers)

As soon as I get delivery confirmation and operation confirmation of my video switcher - which will fund my amp purchase, I'll start building the enclosure.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                      • Aug 2000

Bent,

I'm on vacation this week, so I'll review those files tomorrow AM for you, and post them. I'm in vacation mode this evening, and it's too much work for now! :lol:

~Jon
                                      the AudioWorx
                                      Natalie P
                                      M8ta
                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                      Modula MT XE
                                      Modula Xtreme
                                      Isiris
                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                      Minerva Monitor
                                      Calliope
                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                      Obi-Wan
                                      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                      Modula PWB
                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bent
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Sep 2003

no problemo, the part I'm unclear about is whether the tripled front panel (front baffle) has all three sections cut to the same size so it all fits on the end, or does a portion of it (the inner panel) fit inside the box? This is where the photos were unclear, as it looks to me like when viewing the exterior of the un-veneered finished box that the front panel only has two layers - which makes me think the inner panel is hiding inside the lip of the box. If this is not the case, if all end panels on the front and rear are all of the same dimensions, and all are stacked on the outside lip then construction won't be nearly as tough as I'd thought.

enjoy your holiday.

Comment

• ekkoville
                                          • Aug 2004

Hey, I am as much of a newbie on DIY as there is.....I would like to start sometime but for now I will read and watch as much as possible. But I am thinking, Bent, that wouldn't the construction be best if the front baffle and rear panel were cut to the exact internal dimension of the box, thus wrapping both front and rear with sides, top and bottom. Maybe this is bad technique? But whether the front is two or three layers would make the cuts the same. I also seems like building a box around the front and rear would yeild a more accurate assebly than trying to fit baffles and panels into an opening, maybe this the way you guys do it. I am trying to learn alot here......

Erik

Comment

• ThomasW
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Ben,

In the picture below the front baffle is 2 layers of 3/4". You can see that it's inside the top and bottom pieces

Click image for larger version

Name:	RawBoxWithBraces.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	943292

The third layer 'caps' the entire front baffle

Name:	FrontAssyParts.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	943293

If you look at the picture you can see the final piece sits outside all the others

Name:	SideViewTestFit.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	943294

Finally, this is just how I assembled it. It doesn't matter how it is constructed as long as you keep the same dimensions.
                                            Last edited by theSven; 27 June 2023, 21:30 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Bent
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Sep 2003

I got it now, thanks much for the reply.

Comment

• Bent
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Sep 2003

Does anybody here know when Adire's ADA 1200 plate amp will be available for general purchase? (I missed the pre-sale of the first batch, and am eagerly awaiting full production run availability)

I found out today that the local high school just got a CNC router at their woodshop - they typically don't sherge labour for shop tools use, just material costs. :tup

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2002

CNC router
                                                  That's fine for production work but, for a one-off, it takes as much time to program the router as to just do it by hand.

Edit: and that assumes you know how to program the router (kinda like learning a new CAD program). Add a couple of months if you don't.

Comment

• Bent
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Sep 2003

Yup, but these kids are always needing something "extra" to do, it keeps them from hanging around outside around the back of the school and smoking them funny cigarrettes, LOL.

Actually, it sounds like the instructors would love to delve into some home theater projects... I'm going to make some phone calls as soon as I get my plate amp.

Comment

• Bent
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Sep 2003

things are looking up (and down)
                                                      The up part...
                                                      I found a local supplier of the 6" flared ports in Steinbach, and the wharehouser says stock is available in Canada, and the amps should be in Bob's (Creativesound) hands on the week of the 22nd.
                                                      8)

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

Really? Who carries them in Steinbach...and for what purpose?

Comment

• Bent
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Sep 2003

Sound Advice is an authorised distributor of JestarCanada Products - the licenced Canadianwharehouser of PNP Aeroports.

THey are confirming pricing as we speak.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Aug 2000

Let us know what that price turns out to be.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2000

As I understand it the 6" PNP ports have been out of production for quite sometime.

If these guys actually have some in stock, please find out how many they have.

Thanks
                                                              Thomas

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Bent
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Sep 2003

I'm still waiting,
                                                                the wholesaler (who I spoke to yesterday on the phone indicated stock was available, but couldn't sell to the public) was to call the dealer yesterday with all the numbers. THey hadn't called by the end of the business day, and were based in Montreal - so time zones come into effect, they prolly closed up shop at the equivalent of 4:0 P.M central and won't open till Monday.

Comment

• Bent
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Sep 2003

Well, further to my discussion yesterday - the local dealer decides he can still find these 6 inch flares for an even better price... (although he didn't seem to have a price???)
                                                                  He said he'll have an answer at the end of the day.

The end of the day came, and no answer... as I wait patientley. :Z
                                                                  (Newfoam hasn't had stock in the 6" flares for months).

I just know I'm going to have to roll a DIY solution to these flares yet. :cry:

but on the plus side, I found lots of tubing with the pre-requisite 5.75 ID. :T

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Aug 2000

The usual retail is $50US/pr.

If they do have them available, I'd be interested in getting several pair (3 or 4) . Perhaps that can assist your local dealer with his special pricing.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Bent
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2003

Thomas, I've questioned the dealer on a "bulk rate" already, with the lack of feedback about the product, I'm starting to question the integrity of the supplier, in spite of the fact that they specifically stated that the product was availabkle in Canada. I'll keep everyone up to date as it unfolds.

Comment

• Bent
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2003

Well, still no word on the flares...
                                                                        They said they expect to know by friday - I'll check in with an update for the weekend.

I'm also awaiting notification on the ADA 1200, as I'm stuck on the availability of the two band Para-EQ (which may or may not do it for me, but at least it can be defeated if I opt to use a BFD)

Can someone explain to me how the dual crossovers work? Do they cascade so that I can dial in a specific order x-over frequency, and also utilize a steeper slope at a different frequency? (My AV Receiver already has selectable crossover frequencies for each set of speakers, but does this cascadable X-over on the ADA 1200 allow more flexibility, or would I likely not need it?)

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                          • 16507

Ben if you don't want to wait any longer for the ADA's the 1000 watt amp from PE is onsale...and would be cheap enough to let you also get the BFD from Rick I think.

1000 watt Plate Amp

Comment

• Bent
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Sep 2003
                                                                            • 1570

ANdrew, that is a sweet price - but after a recent incident getting a product from the US, I'll stick to Canadian re-sellers
                                                                            No, it wasn't Kyle, I'm having trouble with Federal Trade Networks (FedEx) and a collection issue.

Comment

• Bent
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Sep 2003
                                                                              • 1570

#83
                                                                              message deleted 'cause it was in bad taste... :

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 16507

#84
                                                                                message deleted 'cause it was in bad taste...
                                                                                Still thinking about that leg in CSI: Miami? :eating:

Comment

• Bent
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2003
                                                                                  • 1570

#85
                                                                                  LOL @ Anderw,
                                                                                  I actually missed CSI Miami last night (even though I like watching in HD).

No, I mentioned something about the port flares - needless to say, I'll likely be getting them from another dealer, there are 5 sets left in the country.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Aug 2000
                                                                                    • 10934

#86
                                                                                    Ben,

Would you post or email info as to who has them?

I could really use some more of these......... :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Bent
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Sep 2003
                                                                                      • 1570

#87
                                                                                      I sure will, but only after I get my set - I'm sure you understand. :W

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Aug 2000
                                                                                        • 10934

#88
                                                                                        Why don't you just email me with the details when you're all set.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Bent
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2003
                                                                                          • 1570

#89
                                                                                          No problem, I'll send the e-mail soon as my order is processed.
                                                                                          (thanks, this is looking really really good.)
                                                                                          Can I tell the dealer to expect a call from someone named Thomas?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                                            • 10934

#90
                                                                                            Yes.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            😀
                                                                                            😂
                                                                                            🥰
                                                                                            😘
                                                                                            🤢
                                                                                            😎
                                                                                            😞
                                                                                            😡
                                                                                            👍
                                                                                            👎
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"