X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PoorboyMike
    • Oct 2005

Dust cap for 1503

So I bought a 1503 from a guy and his kids had pushed in the dustcap. I knew this before I paid him and it wasn't a big deal because he said he would fix it. Well, he ordered the biggest dust cap the PE had (turns out it was 5") and it's not big enough. He called some more places and the biggest he could find is 5.5" and this beast needs a 6".

The easy question would be, does anyone know where I can get a 6" dust cap?

The harder question: if one is not available, how about one made out of aluminium? This would add some weight to the woofer, but would this really be a bad thing? Adding about 200g to the woofer would bring the the f3 down to the low 30 range in a 2ft cubed sealed box. Are there any disadvantages to doing something like this?

To put it into perspective, I'm getting this thing for $120 shipped. I could just get my money back, but where else could I get that kind of performance for close to that price? I already have the amp, eq, misc. hardware, stuffing, and lumber to build this thing. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
  • PoorboyMike
    • Oct 2005

Now that I think about it, Bent, what did you do with your 1503? If it's posible to get the dust cap off it without wrecking it, would you be willing to sell it?

Am I being a complete cheap skate here or what? :B

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

Pull it out. Make a hook out of a pin or whatever and pop it out. Then seal the hole with a dab of glue.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Dennis H
        Pull it out. Make a hook out of a pin or whatever and pop it out. Then seal the hole with a dab of glue.
        I don't even have the woofer yet. The guy I bought it from apparently already cut the old one off. From the picture I saw, the entire thing was caved in. I'm sure it would have been OK as is, but he told me he would replace it if I wanted him to, and I told him to go ahead and do it. And now that it's cut off, he cant find one big enough.

Comment

• Bent
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2003

PBM, I still have my '1503, it's sitting in a box in my garage...
          it doesn't exibit the noise/rattle problem when tested in a vertical orientation, so guess what I'm thinking...
          2.5 cubic foot sealed downfiring with another ADA 1200 utilizing the built in L-R transform cct (but this is down the road a ways - I'm going to do a left/center/right DIY next, and there are three candidates, Jon's Extrema MTM, GrahamT's original Extremis with the deep box, or Exodus Audio/Adire's KIT 2641/KIT LCR...)
          But first I have to move, build a house and start up a new home theater .
          There will soon be a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors(V2) and a CC-350(V2) for sale to help fund the aforementioned projects.

I really don't think the dustcap will come off that easy anyways - at least not without destroying the cap...

Are you going to treat it with the "wet look" goop?

Comment

• PoorboyMike
            • Oct 2005

Yeah, I'm going to order the wet look as soon as I figure out what full range driver to buy. I can't stand it when shipping costs more than the product so I decided to do something about it and order more stuff. lol

And for anyone looing for dust caps, I just recieved a 6.5" cap from this place: http://www.SpeakerRepair.com/

It's only paper so I definately want to coat it to match the look of the cone. It was a little less than $10 shipped if anyone is interested.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"