X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ht_addict
    • Dec 2002

Day After Tommorrow

Just curious if anyone has picked this up yet? I'm going to pick a copy up on Friday from a local dealer and just wanted to know how the DVD is.

ht_addict
    Last edited by ht_addict; 01 October 2004, 23:10 Friday.
  • theMaximus
    • Jul 2004

It has not been released in the U.S., yet. It will be released on Tuesday, October 5. I'm looking forward to owning it, but I'll audition it first by renting it.
    Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

It's a "must have" for me. If for no other reason than the scene showing the Americans pouring illegally over the border into Mexico :B . You may have to live in a border state to really appreciate the humor.

Seriously tho', I am looking forward to this DVD as I enjoyed the movie.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• will1066
        • Aug 2003

I know what you're talking about. :-)

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Oh yeah, this one is definitely on my list.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• ht_addict
            • Dec 2002

Got my copy and will watch it on Saturday after work. Package is cardboard outer shell with 3d image on front. Disc comes with chapter page and rebate sheet for $8/15 if you buy 2/3 movies(Dodgeball, AVP, DAT and a couple others) I'll report back after the movie to let you all know how the PQ and DTS audio are.

ht_addict

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Kevin, you already have yours? Lucky man. Looking forward to your impressions.

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

My wife and I enjoyed the movie, as well, we went to see it instead of The Manuchurian Candidate. I am looking forward to owning the DVD.

I'll await HT_Addict's review on the PQ and SQ, it certainly has tremendous potential.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• will1066
                  • Aug 2003

I feel the CG ranged from pretty darn good to kinda bad. So I wonder how this will translate to the small screen. But it was enjoyable overall.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Kevin, where the heck did you get your copy ? Not available in my neck of the woods until next week.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• DavidY
                      • Aug 2000

Wish that this was the 2 disc version which is being released in other regions.

Dave

Comment

• ht_addict
                        • Dec 2002

Well I watched the movie last night and it rocks just like it did in the cinema. PQ was fantastice on my 47" RPTV in 1080i mode(LG7832 DVD). Audio is fast and furious with all the destruction thats going in the movie. It'll definetely give your speakers a work out. Special features are limited to 2 deleted scenes(changes and extends opening scene and when Dennis Quaid throws his buddy into Wendy's to get out of the storm). There's also a commentary track and an inside look at the new Angelina Jolie/Brad Pitt movie(actually looks like it could be good). For the HT this is a must buy :T I'll post some screen shots Monday if I can.

ht_addict

Comment

• Azeke
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2003

Thanks HT_Addict for that review, you have solidified my thoughts on the PQ and SQ. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Adz
                            • Jan 2004

From Widescreen Review WebSite which gave it their highest DTS Sound rating of 5 + !!!!! :T

"This extremely fun, effective, and at many times awesome sounding soundtrack had me completely enthralled and immersed into the on-screen events from the first couple scenes of the movie. The story is sometimes iffy, but the DTS® Digital Surround™ and Dolby® Digital 5.1-channel soundtracks deliver a truly wonderful and immersive sonic listening experience throughout. This soundtrack really excels as the weather around the world worsens. And as home theatre sound afficionados well know, bad weather—when done right in the movies—equals really great sonics. A couple of main highlights of the soundtrack presentation are in spatial dimensionality and bass. Bass extension is extremely deep, powerful, and thunderous. The listening space is easily stretched and widened from this very expansive sounding sound mix. If there was only one word to define the sonic performance of this soundtrack, “immersive” certainly would be correct. Between the two sound formats, the DTS version easily delivers a much better presentation. With the DTS version, the audio is much more impactful even with the -6 dB dialnorm offset adjustment. The DTS soundtrack delivers a much fuller, detailed, and immersive (yes, there’s that word again) listening experience. This is a soundtrack where you just lose yourself in the special effects on-screen and let the audio just wash over you. It is sort of surprising how much the DTS® Digital Surround™ and Dolby® Digital 5.1-channel soundtracks on the D-VHS D-Theater format outperformed the DVD soundtracks. The DVD soundtracks performed exceptionally well, but the D-VHS soundtracks take the sonic impact up a notch. Everything is much more detailed and far-reaching sonically with much more gut impact on the D-VHS versions. There is a much better spread of audio information in the form of channel separation across the front three screen channels. The surround channels really extend the listening space as these two channels are more prominent than that found in the DVD soundtracks. LFE channel activity, like its DVD soundtrack counterparts, is deep and extremely powerful. The DTS version sounds more involving than the Dolby version, but on the D-VHS format they both excel wonderfully. (Jeffrey Kern)"
                            Adz

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

WHERE ARE YOU GUYS GETTING THIS DVD? It's official release date has been pushed back to October 12th. C'mon gang, give. . . . :drool:

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2001

Yeah give us the lowdown !
                                My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                  • Sep 2001

Maybe the advance looks are the result of prescience or time travel, like with the Lord of the Rings: Return of the King Speical Extended Edition DVD which already has 24 "reviews" on Amazon, even though it will not be released until December 14th. :>) ROTK Reviews

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• ht_addict
                                    • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                                    Maybe the advance looks are the result of prescience or time travel, like with the Lord of the Rings: Return of the King Speical Extended Edition DVD which already has 24 "reviews" on Amazon, even though it will not be released until December 14th. :>) ROTK Reviews
                                    This should satisfy your mistrust in my authenticity.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

• David Meek
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

All right Kevin, your friendly Moderator (me) is getting antsy. :B

WHERE'D YA GET THE FRIGGIN' DVD?????? :hb Tell me! Tell me now or there'll be serious disciplinary measures taken. :smackbutt:

(BTW, this is all in fun)

P.S. It's not that we distrust your authenticity, we're just getting pissy because you've got it and we don't.

Comment

• Brandon B
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jun 2001

You can have it the day after tomorrow David.

:rofl: :rofl:

BB

Comment

• Marcel54
                                          • Jan 2004

In Europe the DVD is already available and we (my wife and I) watched it yesterday. We enjoyed it, nice sound and vision and a bit meager story. But what amazes us every time is the following. The whole world is falling to pieces ( the cyclones above Europe and Siberia were bigger then over the States) but only the problems in the USA were shown (even Canada was left out). Talking about a small view on the world and this is evident in much more movies (if necessary I can prove it).

I'm not trying to start a political debate (although I prefer Kerry as many Europeans do) but what I would like is for "Hollywood" to broaden there perspective.

Marcel

Comment

• ht_addict
                                            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Marcel54
                                            In Europe the DVD is already available and we (my wife and I) watched it yesterday. We enjoyed it, nice sound and vision and a bit meager story. But what amazes us every time is the following. The whole world is falling to pieces ( the cyclones above Europe and Siberia were bigger then over the States) but only the problems in the USA were shown (even Canada was left out). Talking about a small view on the world and this is evident in much more movies (if necessary I can prove it).

I'm not trying to start a political debate (although I prefer Kerry as many Europeans do) but what I would like is for "Hollywood" to broaden there perspective.

Marcel
                                            Unfortunately your talking about probably the largest viewing market in the world when it comes to movies. When your budget for movies is $100mil+, studio's are thinking more of the bottom line than prespective. Though if they showed a little more of France being destroyed you may have gotten a few more Americans to the movie :rofl:

I would like to let you guys know where I got it, but at the same time I don't want to get the dealer in trouble or lose my source for movies early. You do pay $4-5 more than you would at Futureshop or BB who discount their movies when they first come out. For US shoppers having it shipped to them would be $4-5US more than you could get it when it comes out.

ht_addict

Comment

• David Meek
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

Hey, are you kidding? We love the French. French wine. French cheese. French loudspeakers (well some of them). French cuisine. French toast. French fries. Mr. French. See?

Although you do make a valid point Marcel. I mean we couldn't even leave a perfectly exciting wartime story alone - just HAD to fiddle with the Enigma story in U-571. Go figure.

Anway, back OT: It's good to hear positive reviews on this one. I had hopes.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jan 2001

Kevin, I can appreciate why you don't want to name the source. When Walmart first started carrying new release dvds, they would often have them on display and available a week or more before the official release date. Seems one of the local dvd rental/sales outlets reported Walmart and all of a sudden you couldn't get them early anymore.
                                                My Homepage!

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
                                                  • Aug 2004

This movie is perfect on DTS.

Comment

• Azeke
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2003

Here is a review that I found very fulfilling :T :

The Day After Tomorrow

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• David Meek
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

Buwahahahahaha! (in best Dogbert voice) Picking it up on the way home tonight! :banana:

Comment

• Chris D
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Dec 2000

Holy crap, people, I wasn't even going to bother seeing this movie. I'm not into the hippie environmentalist "the world is going to explode tomorrow" stuff. But this has got to be some sort of great flick the way y'all are talking. I'll see if I can watch it one way or another.
                                                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• ht_addict
                                                          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
                                                          Holy crap, people, I wasn't even going to bother seeing this movie. I'm not into the hippie environmentalist "the world is going to explode tomorrow" stuff. But this has got to be some sort of great flick the way y'all are talking. I'll see if I can watch it one way or another.
                                                          It isn't a great flick. Its a good popcorn flick. Just check your brain at the door before watching.

ht_addict

Comment

• David Meek
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Aug 2000

Hey Chris, don't worry. Us hippie environmentalists checked and you are flying one of the "earth friendly" low-emission C-17s. :B

This is a very good popcorn flick IMO, and yes some scenes will leave you going :wtf: if you think about it too deeply. So don't. Suspend yo' disbelief and enjoy.

P.S. I picked my copy up on the way home, but as usual, things came up and prevented a viewing. Maybe tomorrow night. . . sigh.

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Sep 2002

Well, originally, I would have said "no way am I buying it", but after hearing all of you, guess what? Can't wait to watch it this weekend and it will definitely be DTS. :B
                                                              Keith

Comment

• Prozakk
                                                                • Jul 2004

While at WallyWorld, wife asked: you wanna buy it?
                                                                I stated: I sold my subs & my SVS PB2Ultra hasn't arrived yet.
                                                                She said nothing. She knows no sub=no movie watching!

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                                                                  Former Moderator
                                                                  • Jan 2002

Just Finished watching the movie and IT ROCKS BIG TIME!!! no swearing, audio transfer awsome, CGIs not bad, storyline....well kept and presented. A sure addition to my library.

Your SUBS will get a workout people.............TURN IT UP!!!!!!!!!!!! :T :T
                                                                  CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Uncle Clive
                                                                    Just Finished watching the movie and IT ROCKS BIG TIME!!! no swearing, audio transfer awsome, CGIs not bad, storyline....well kept and presented. A sure addition to my library.

Goody, goody. My subs can't wait. But I won't be watching until this weekend. DTS, of course.
                                                                    My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Prozakk
                                                                      While at WallyWorld, wife asked: you wanna buy it?
                                                                      I stated: I sold my subs & my SVS PB2Ultra hasn't arrived yet.
                                                                      She said nothing. She knows no sub=no movie watching!
                                                                      WHAT? WHAT? Awww now you've gone and done it. Never, I repeat never say no to an opportunity to purchase electronics or media when it presents itself. You've now set a precedent it will take years to break.

P.S. Couldn't you just have it ready for the time your sub shows up? :scratchhead:

Comment

• Azeke
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Uncle Clive

Indeed, this movie is a sub and surround gem, just finished turning it up :T . I'm off today and everyone is out of the house.

Uncle Clive there is one scene that contains profanity, which is spoken by the Vice President (B.S.), but no other in the movie. I watched it to see if my nine year old (going on 99), could view this movie without profanity, needless to say I will mute this portion of the movie.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Prozakk
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by David Meek
                                                                          WHAT? WHAT? Awww now you've gone and done it. Never, I repeat never say no to an opportunity to purchase electronics or media when it presents itself. You've now set a precedent it will take years to break.

P.S. Couldn't you just have it ready for the time your sub shows up? :scratchhead:
                                                                          She later said: "next time we go, you're getting it!" "Stop pouting, your sub will be here soon enough!"

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Sep 2002
                                                                            • 1584

Watched it tonight as well. Yes, a lot of bass rumble. Yes, the surrounds were used beautifully. Yes, I'm going to very much appreciate that I can lie down tonight in a warm room in a soft bed. Glad I bought it. My youngest daughter has decided she needs to watch some sitcoms before going to sleep after the film.
                                                                            Keith

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Aug 2000
                                                                              • 8938

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Arman
                                                                              there is one scene that contains profanity, which is spoken by the Vice President
                                                                              Well, THAT's true to form!!! ops: :

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 8938

#40
                                                                                I finally got to watch TDAT last night. It was as enjoyable this time as it was in the theater. I did notice one thing and wanted to see if you saw it also: To me, the entire film looked darker than it did in the theater. Not Dark City dark, but definitely darker than I remember it at the theater.
                                                                                .

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                                  Moderator
                                                                                  • Sep 2001
                                                                                  • 3161

#41
                                                                                  It isn't a great flick. Its a good popcorn flick. Just check your brain at the door before watching.
                                                                                  While "The Day After Tomorrow" has some plot holes the size of the gap in the ozone layer over the South Pole, if "Titanic" earned eleven Academy Awards by combining stupendous special effects with a sappy, melodramatic "human interest story" that strains credulity, then this one should be on its way to Oscar glory. :>)

Actually, I felt the acting in "Day After Tomorrow" was BETTER than that of "Titanic". Plus we didn't have to listen to Celine Dion caterwauling "My Heart Will Go On" even one time. ("The Day After Tomorrow" deserves bonus points on that score alone.) :>) I really like "The Day After Tomorrow" and in the future will undoubtedly watch the world freezing over a lot more often than I'll endure the boat sinking. :>)

Burke

PS -- Reports that "The Day After Tommorow" has a great soundtrack are true. The surround effects are truly immersive and the bass is "shake your foundation" awesome.

Comment

• aud19
                                                                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Aug 2003
                                                                                    • 16706

#42
                                                                                    :laughat: :roflmao: Aaaah Burke strikes again! :B

The DUMBEST hole I found was that the people in the library had a fire going, hence there should have been smoke coming out of a chimney outside right....? Ya think his dad might have ssen that from a distance..? At least as they came upon the building and thought to himself hey we should check in that area of the building...? :roll: Oh well, it was fun and it was loud :T :lol:

Jason
                                                                                    Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Dec 2000
                                                                                      • 16877

#43
                                                                                      Why the spoiler text, Burke? Does that give away something?
                                                                                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                                                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Azeke
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2003
                                                                                        • 2123

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by aud19
                                                                                        :laughat: :roflmao: Aaaah Burke strikes again! :B

The DUMBEST hole I found was that the people in the library had a fire going, hence there should have been smoke coming out of a chimney outside right....? Ya think his dad might have ssen that from a distance..? At least as they came upon the building and thought to himself hey we should check in that area of the building...? :roll: Oh well, it was fun and it was loud :T :lol:

Jason
                                                                                        Jason, maybe the smoke froze :rofl:

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                                          Moderator
                                                                                          • Sep 2001
                                                                                          • 3161

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by Chris Dotur
                                                                                          Why the spoiler text, Burke? Does that give away something?
                                                                                          Yes. It gives away that I agree that the soundtrack is especially good. :>)

The spolier is kind of an inside joke. It plays against some people's expectations that I might play devil's advocate and be critical of the soundtrack that everyone else seems to like, hearing deficiencies that someone else didn't notice and comment on. I'm saving that for my mini-review of Eric Clapton's "One More Car One More Rider" in another thread.

Burke

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"