X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

In case anyone missed it, Lucas' mildly modernized version of his first feature is being shown in theaters this weekend, and available on DVD next Tues, 9/14.

I think he gave everyone hair.

BB
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Brandon
    In case anyone missed it, Lucas' mildly modernized version of his first feature
    Lucas + feature = "modernized"

Sigh. :duh:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Sorry, couldn't resist. : THX 1138 was an entertaining little thing. It'll be interesting to see his "latest" take on it.
      Last edited by David Meek; 15 September 2004, 13:30 Wednesday.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Will there be guest appearances by any of the Star Wars folk ?
        My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Hmmm, looked up a bit more info on this. It's a widescreen version (I've only seen the P&S one) that's been digitally restored and lost (edited out) footage has been put back in. Sounds REALLY interesting.

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

He has "enhanced" it much like the trilogy which I will not name in hopes we don't get into that again.

However, it appears to be mostly imagery, expanding some shots, and some scenes with new shots to fill out the pacing where it suffered from a lack of pacing, but couldn't be helped to the cost of effects back then.

And everyone has hair now.

Kidding.

I got the 2 disk version. Report back after this weekend.

BB

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Brandon
              And everyone has hair now.

Kidding.
              :alol:

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

I watched it tonight, which is the first time i've ever seen this movie. I was expecting another 1984-influenced "Brazil" movie, without the Terry Gilliam slant to it. It was to a bit of a degree, but not too bad. A decent sci-fi flick, but nothing overwhelming. Parts were actually really good, like the driving chase scenes. The picture quality was excellent, considering the source!

I had heard that Lucas made this movie during film school, but obviously this wasn't the case. It was much more professional and larger-budget than that.

Funny, I kept picking out things that influenced Star Wars later, mostly sound effects. Some light saber-type stuff, whooshing vehicles, radio transmissions, robotic voices, etc. Definitely Lucas stuff.
                Last edited by Chris D; 04 October 2004, 04:55 Monday.
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

I finished the THX 1138 2-disc DVD set this weekend, watching the extras. WOW! VERY informative, and not just about this particular movie. Specifically, there is a featurette about the history and beginnings of George Lucas and ALL of the American Zoetrope studios. I had no idea of the fascinating story there, showing the intimately intertwined histories of George Lucas, Martin Scorcese, Francis Ford Coppola, Steven Spielberg, and many others. This is something every film afficienado should see. If you're interested in more than just flashy movies, and like to get into how a film is made and the director's and writers' intents, this is for you. Highly recommended!
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris
                    Specifically, there is a featurette about the history and beginnings of George Lucas and ALL of the American Zoetrope studios.
                    Now that sounds like an interesting "extra". Thanks for the heads-up Chris. :yesnod:

Comment

• Brandon B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2001

STILL haven't managed to watch this yet. *sigh*

FTR, he made a version of it at USC. Coppola had him remake it as a full motion picture (a decision which cost him).

BB

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

both versions are on the DVD, FWIW. I guess since I'm younger (30) I don't appreciate as much the "breakthrough" films of the late 60's and early 70's. I thought THX was decent, but in general stuff from those few years that's heralded as being groundbreaking like 1138, Easy Rider, etc (along with some books viewed the same way from that time, like Catcher in the Rye and Stranger in a Strange Land) I just don't find wholly compelling and understandable.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jun 2001

Forgot to mention, I did get around to watching this about a month ago.

Have to say all the enhancements had a positive effect on the movie. It has been cleaned to near sterility like star wars, and so the CGI and other "meddling" blends in well. And since none of it has any bearing on character or dialog, but is rather confined to expanding shots and environments and smoothing pacing, it's all good IMO.

Didn't remember (or likely even know in the first place) score was Lalo Schifrin. Interestingly, the "feel" of the whole audio track is very similar to Star Wars. I wonder if it was always so, or if the remixing for this release ended up with Mr. Burtt's influence causing the similarity. If not, would suggest Lucas himself gives a lot of direction of the audio, i.e. choice of sound types, style of mixing.

Anyone else (of the few of you who watched this ) have a comment?

BB

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Hmmm... well, the sound effects sure had a lot of similarities to SW. Several of them were reminiscent of a light saber, or Land Speeder, or whatever. As far as the score itself, I didn't notice anything, but I'll take a note the next time I watch through the flick.
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jun 2001

Yeah, the sound effects are what I specifically meant. OK, so not just me.

BB

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"