X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Spartan

I was in Best Buy rooting around and came across this DVD again. I picked it up primarily because I like Val Kilmer and David Mamet and figured that they could make a pretty good movie together. The premise is that Kilmer (who has put on a few pounds) is a veteran Secret Service agent. He's a self-confessed "worker bee" and isn't interested in the bigger picture. He's called in when a VERY important daughter is snatched. Once on the assignment things start to get confusing. . . .

It definitely feels like a Mamet - very spare in dialog with the occasional odd little phrases that seem to be "insider speak" which give the film a sense of truism, but can leave the casual viewer wonder what that last line meant. You don't get to know the characters very well - what you see is what you get for the most part. Although, there is a little character building done with Spartan and one other person. Good action sequences abound - quick and violent without a lot of windup or winding down. PQ is pretty good, not great - like the soundtrack. Dialog is clean (thank goodness) so understanding the Mametisms is fairly easy - deciphering them may not be.

Overall, it's a decent enough effort, although the end felt a touch rushed. Summing it up, if you liked Ronin the chances are good you'll like Spartan (a Ronin-lite if you will). I give it :3: out of :5:
    Last edited by David Meek; 31 August 2004, 10:46 Tuesday. Reason: spelling

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • theMaximus
    • Jul 2004

I thought this movie was pretty well done. Dialogues are short and to the point and does require some getting used to. Plot is fast moving and interesting. I'm not sure if this is worth owning, but it is definitely worth rental.
    Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I rented this awhile back. It seems moviegoers either love Mamet or hate him. I really like his work and enjoyed Spartan but didn't like it as much as some of his other films such as HEIST. My all time Mamet favorite has to be GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS.
      My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"