X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dean McManis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • May 2003

The Butterfly Effect

I just rented this and watched The Butterfly Effect last night.
    I've read mixed reviews and expected the worst, but I was pleasantly surprised. 8)

Yet, I can easily see how some people would not like it.

Like some of the better time-shifting films, you have to do a LOT of thinking to follow the alternate time threads and how everything is affected.
    It's NOT a fun/funny/adventure movie like Back to the Future at all, and felt closer to Memento to me (in it's film noir story presentation).

I had never seen Aston Kutcher before, so I didn't have any notions of him other than in this character, and I thought that he did a good job, like the other actors.

I saw the Director's cut, which had a not-too-happy ending. I am curious to see the alternate endings now.

I may end up buying this DVD used from blockbuster, but I'd say that that for most people it's safer to rent it if you didn't see the movie in the theater.

-Dean.
  • keenan
    • Jul 2004

I found this movie to be more interesting than I thought it would be also. I agree with your comments about Aston Kutcher as well along with the performances by the children especially the little girl's brother. The audio effects during the time shifts was attention grabbing too.

Need to watch the theatrical version tonite...

Jim

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

There was no way, after the reviews, that I was going to watch this DVD. Recently, though, I've read some posts where people really liked it. It definitely is on my "to rent" list now. Perhaps, as early as the next few days.
      Keith

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Me too, Keith. At first, just because Kutcher was in it, I wasn't interested but now, yeah I'll give it a watch.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Me three. Wasn't going to watch because of Kutcher, but I will try a rental now.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

I saw it....

I liked it !

AT the half way mark this is what your face will look like though :blink:

:lol:

but I am sure you guys'll figure it out :roll: :B

:
            Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Thoughtful review, Dean.

I picked it up this weekend for my trip next week, reading between the lines of some reviews, and hoping it might be as you perceived it. Glad to hear your inputs.

Bam, sometimes I really like movies that you have to think about or watch a couple of times through to really get everything going on- sounds like this could be one of those.

Regards,

Jon
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

Watched it today. First off, I was fascinated by the character Tommy. Every scene he was in held my attention in a very absolute sense. Evan's spike haired roommate also was quite an interesting character.

As to the movie itself, I enjoyed it, but, like Dean, can easily imagine someone not liking the movie. It sure was a heck of a lot better Secret Window in my book. To me, the first third or so of the movie, the foundation, was by far the most interesting. The last two thirds is a bit stretched out for my tastes.
                Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2002

Hey, I wanted to put something in spoiler blocks. Does the new software not allow it?
                  Keith

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Keith, yeah it does. [ spoiler ] text [ /spoiler] will do it. Just omit the spaces between the brackets and the word "spoiler". See below:

just testing this thang

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Danbry39
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Sep 2002

Thank you David. The spoiler isn't directly about the movie, but might still give away too much.

Anyone ever read Ray Bradbury's "The Sound of Thunder"? It has a similar theme and one that I've heard rumors is in the process of being made into a film. If you recall, the Simpson's episode where Homer is sent back in time when trying to fix a toaster, that's loosely based on the Bradbury story.
                      Keith

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                        • Jan 2004

I love the paradox of having the power to change things but the end result will even out to the same, and it looked like they were going there but then...

Well I liked it anyway, but I still believe in the theory that the best way to change an event or those around us, is by changing ourselves and our reactions to others, and this basically did this with the added twist of the power to go back and learn from your mistakes.

But a true paradox is unsolvable, and they (IMO) should have went for that angle, kind a like a Time Machine, 12 Monkeys, T3 thing, except without the futuristic stuff.
                        My Center Channel Project

Comment

• NMyTree
                          • May 2004

I bought it late last week, and watched it on Sunday.

I really enjoyed the movie, I was very happy that I purchased , instead of renting. I was wondering how Kutcher would perform in this role, being familiar with his character on "The 70's Show".

I thought he did a good job. Pleasantly surprised ......I was :B

I'm a huge fan of Sci-Fi....Horror......Supernatural.....and so forth, so I suspend any thoughts of comparing and analyzing a movie's relevance to reality...as we so far know it.

Give me a good story.....good acting.....good production.....and I'm a happy camper :B

If it's a stretch.........oh well. For the most part these type of movies aren't carrying the "Based On A True Story" or "Based On Actual Events" Clamier.
                          Tony

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

I finally watched this last Sunday night at home. Watched the Directors cut version, though I don't know how that differs from the "Theatrical".

This is the kind of movie Hollywood doesn't make very often (at least not the Director's cut), not a "normal" happy ending kind of thing, but an overall plot line that is similar to a lot of the better Sci Fi I read back in the 60's and 70's. Stuff intended to be thought provoking, not to have a "normal" plot line. Well done overall; pretty gritty in places.

Two thumbs up.

~Jon
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                            Obi-Wan
                            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"