• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

One from the bargain bin...

THE BIG EASY

I got this at Wallyworld for $6.88. It wasn't anamorphic and the transfer was probably the same one used for the vhs tape and the laserdisc, so it wasn't the best, folks, but adequate; as was the soundtrack. No 5.1 here and no LF.

For those who haven't seen it, Dennis Quaid plays a New Orleans detective in a corrupt police department. Ellen Barkin is a prosecutor with the district attorney's office and is sent to Quaid's department to get to the bottom of a series of murders with local cops as suspects. Dennis turns his charm on Ellen and they get tight, but she has a job to do and because he has falen for her, Dennis sees the light and helps her to solve things. A really entertaining film from 1986, with foot stomping Cajun music, and some music from the charts of that particular time. A good film at a bargain price.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • BradF
    • Nov 2003

I think that's a fair price for that one. I've seen it on-line for a whole lot more.

Ellen Barkin was a hot property there for a few years. I remember her best for Sea Of Love with DeNiro. She was maybe just a notch below Sharon Stone, Theresa Russell and Kathleen Turner in the steamy femme fatale category... they were all kind of interchangeable.

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I too enjoyed this film. I haven't seen it in yrs. Thanks for reminding me George!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Brad, yeah Barkin was definitely hot in Sea Of Love. I think you meant Pacino as her co-star. As for Ellen, if you haven't seen her as the trailer trash mother of Kirsten Dunst in DROP DEAD GORGEOUS, you are missing a hilarious performance. I felt she stole this one.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• BradF
          • Nov 2003

Yep, thanks George, definitely Pacino... sorry about that Al.

For some reason, I don't think I've ever seen any of Barkin's later movies. I did catch a little bit of Drop Dead Gorgeous on TV a while ago, but I must have missed her in it. She's always reminded me of one of the old school B-girls... haven't seen her in a comedy.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"