X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mazuly
    • Feb 2003

Lost in Translation

What a wonderful movie. Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson were fantastic and the story was really good. The story was simple, moving, funny and romantic and the scenery and the photography of this movie was excellent. The PQ was not bad (not the best I have seen, but very good) and it also has a DTS track which was very good. I will have to buy this one. A keeper for me.

Thanks,
    Maziar
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

This is Miss Coppola's second flick. I liked The Virgin Suicides and I am sure I will like Lost In Translation..

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• mazuly
      • Feb 2003

So nobody else has any comments on this movie? Miss Coppola even got an Oscar for it for original screen play.

I thought I would get more comments on this since on another forum we are on page 6 or 7! Interestingly the comments are I hate or loved this movie and that is almost 50/50.

Anyway, I thought I bump this thread again since, for me, this was one of the best movies I say this year.

Thanks,
      Maziar

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Anything with Bill Murray in it is worth a look, having Ms. Coppola as the director is only a positive and the story sounds like a good one. I'll definitely be seeing this film at some point in the near future.

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Yeah, I plan to rent it soon myself.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

I liked it a fair bit, but it holds the attraction to me of "american in japan" humor, as I go there periodically and live the hotel life (like next monday for instance).

Of my coworkers, a few have hated it, proclaiming it mind numbingly slow moving. I've encountered about 2 to 1 positive to negative opinions.

BB

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

My co-workers that have seen it all said its B O R I N G. I've yet to see it but i'll likely wait till its on the dish or rent it

Comment

• Dr C
                • Feb 2003

Afraid I have to disagree with you Maziar but I have to echo Andrew's colleagues in that this flick is extremely slow moving to the point of being boring.

Call me dense or insensitive but 1 hr into the show and I was wondering where the plot was leading to :? That's generally a bad sign and the ending was like a damp squib. Not only that but I was also wondering what the 2 main characters hoped to achieve. If it was a simple friendship, then this would not be worth exploring in a movie. Unfortunately it was so simple as to be nondescript. With both married, one would expect some sexual tension to build up between them but this was not used.

On the plus side, the photography was excellent. Many folks who have never gone to Japan or exeprienced Japanese eccentricities would also find this picture amusing (trust me it is an accurate potrayal and to advance in Japan, one has to appreciate this). The highlight of the film was when Bill Murray's character goes on a Japanese talk show :LOL:

Both Bill M and Scarlett J acted out their characters extremely well but there was nothing much to build on.

My recommendation is to rent it ... but don't go out of your way if you missed it.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Watched it last night and pretty much have to agree with Dr. C. I couldn't sit through this twice so I too suggest a rental first before you buy.

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Mazuly,

I have yet to see this film. I promise to give my opinion once I do. :LOL:

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• mazuly
                      • Feb 2003

2 strikes and no pass yet

DrC

I agree the movie was a little slow, but I think that was on purpose. That was the best way to show the characters boredom in Japan. Also unlike you, I did find a lot of sexual tensions between the characters specially the scene toward the end in the elevator.

I understand that some people will just not like this movie, and no it will not make you insensitive . It is just that you weather like or dislike this movie and there is no in between.

Thanks,
                      Maziar

Comment

• ht_addict
                        • Dec 2002

Action movies will always be first in my choice to watch but with the Wife Factor you have too once in a while get a chick flick or drama. Lost in Translation was an enjoyable movie to watch. Well worth a purchase to add to a collection.

ht_addict

Comment

• Bam!
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2004

Hey guys!

I have to admit.....boring would be up there on my list.....slow moving story. If I had to describe it like design...it had very clean lines no clutter and I wish I could have seen more symmetryl!
                          She has something about her!

6/10 for me.

I might add I rented this movie cause I saw the post here....

Bye!

Bam!
                          Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Dean McManis
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • May 2003

This movie is definitely on my rental list.

We shall see how it goes.

-Dean.

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Bam!, you're 6' 10"? 8O :B

David - HTGuide flunky
                              Our "Theater"
                              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bam!
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2004

David!

I always enjoy your humour dude....why don`t you come down to TTP I never see you there or have I not noticed you ops:

Take care bud!

Bam!
                                Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• John Holmes
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Well, I guess I'm on the "Liked it" side of the fence. I didn't find it slow. I thought it to be dialog driven and as such, you don't get much more. Solid acting (by the two lead actors). Decent story. But I think maybe it's directing could have been better.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Jariten
                                    • Jun 2000

Actually... a lot of Japanese were offended by this movie...
                                    VERY few theaters showed it here in Tokyo...

The problem is....Japanese are like that ..or worse....and they don't like it to have it shown OUTSIDE of their country...

Many other things happen here..that I will not mention...-_-;;;

6 years is plenty...at least Audio/Video equipment is plentiful... :B

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"