X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

What I've Been Watching Lately

Last night I watched SPY HARD, it's a comedy starring Leslie Neilsen and spoofs everything from James Bond to Speed. Pic quality not bad considering it's not anamorphic.

Watched recently:

HEARTBREAK RIDGE (1986)
    A terrific Clint Eastwood film.

CAST A GIANT SHADOW (1966)
    Stars Kirk Douglas with guest stars such as Frank Sinatra and John Wayne. Story is part fact part fiction and is about an American who is recruited by Israel to build an army.

LOST COMMAND ( 1966)
    Stars Anthony Quinn in a pretty good war saga set first in Indochina and later in Algeria.

IN HARM'S WAY ( 1965)
    Stars John Wayne and Kirk Douglas in a great WW 2 flick set in the pacific during and after the attack on Pearl Harbour. Directed by Otto Preminger. This is terrific stuff.

Yeah, I know... looks like I'm lost in the sixties.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Cast A Giant Shadow and In Harm's Way are two very fine movies. In fact George, now that you've brought it up, I may have to spin In Harm's Way tonight.
    :T

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• BradF
      • Nov 2003

My Darling Clementine ('46):

This is the new Fox Studio Classics' release for January. John Ford's version of events leading up to, and including, the infamous "shoot-out at the OK corral".

Some great actors at work in this one. Fonda gives an understated but brilliant performance, as per usual. Ford keeps everything moving along quite nicely. The climactic gunfight itself is beautifully directed.

A longer version, with previously deleted footage, is offered on the flip-side and helps to flesh out some key relationships. This new footage looks soft at times, but audio and video on the whole is very good. A worthy package for fans of the genre.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Brad, I really happy to hear that is being released on dvd. I only have it on vhs and play it often. Though I enjoy all the OK Corral & Wyatt Earp versions out there, My Darling Clementine was and still is my overall favorite. Probably because I was just a kid when I first saw it in the theater and it left me with a huge impression of Henry Fonda.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• BradF
          • Nov 2003

Yeah, George, this is a good one, and Fonda really is impressive here. You'll like the new DVD, I'm sure.

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

George likes almost all DVDs. :LOL:

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Oh Lex, that's just not true.

He only likes the flat, disc-like ones. :B

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

George -

"Heartbreak Ridge" is a terrific movie that is often overlooked, even by Eastwood's fans. It has elements of comedy plus a very serious underlying theme (actually several) that make it work on multiple levels. It has enough military action to make it a "macho guy" movie but enough relationship stuff to make it a passable "date movie" as well. It was reportedly filmed on a shoe string but doesn't look "cheap" at all.

The director got really good performances from the entire cast, making their stories seem real. See if you can spot the director in his cameo walk on -- oh wait a minute -- the director is also the lead. (I wonder if he gave himself directions in the mirror?) :>)

Thanks for reminding us of this one -- it's a "keeper", whatever the playback medium.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Yeah, Burke, I also feel that this is the film where ol' Clint really found his acting chops, but Oscar overlooked him until Unforgiven.

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"