X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aeromos
    • Jun 2003

Final Fantasy

I finally picked this up previously viewed. I have always been a fan of the video games so I couldn't wait to add this to my collection. The last time I had seen it was at the drive-in where some of the detail and colour was lost. Of course being at the drive-in, doesn't allow you to enjoy proper surround sound. Well I'm happy to say that I was really impressed with this DVD. The detail in animation is amazing. They utilized the same technique used to create Gollem in LOTR. The colours (Canadian spelling) were vibrant. The surrounds were used quite well and often. I have always been a fan of animation and it's exciting to see the different techniques utilized today to make films. If you're into animation, this is a must have!!

Aeromos
    Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
    My Collection
    Aeromos
    Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
    My Collection
  • Dean McManis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • May 2003

This was one of the first attempts to make a computer generated Anime movie. The movement and facial inflections are not quite right sometimes, but it was a marvelous achievement technically regardless with the level of realism that they created.

Some people who were looking for a typical action/adventure film would be disappointed with this movie which (in typical anime style) is complex, not obvious, and doesn't have a typical happy American movie ending.

But I found the theme and story interesting, and the DVD beautifully detailed, colorful, with awesome audio.

I'd say that it's a good rental for those who like thinking sci-fi movies, especially anime. And a great demo DVD to show off both audio and video aspects of home theater.

-Dean.

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Yeah, what Dean and Rand said.

This is one of those ground-breaking movies you only come across every so often. Tour de force is another good description of this film, too. There were moments when the CGI broke down a bit on the characters' facial expressions and sometimes under-exaggerated physical movments, but these were offset by other moments when (especially with the character of Dr. Sid) I literally could not tell the CGI from a real life camera shot. Couple the generally amazing level of CGI with a good story, good action and an excellent soundtrack and you've got a showpiece of a DVD.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

And I might add that this disc looks awesome on an 8 foot wide screen.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

This disc is nothing short of splendid! It has so many things right, it's is easy to overlook a few of the blemishes.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Isn't this the 2nd Final Fantasy movie to come out? I recall seeing one before, maybe 1-2 years ago. It was pretty good CGI then.

CHRIS
            Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Chris, it's the same one. Some of the DVD covers had different images on them.

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"