Available on Netflix (in Canada, at any rate) and various other media, TURN is a series (four seasons) set during the American Revolution. As I have been prepping a fall course on US History to Reconstruction, I have been looking for suitable excerpts to illustrate various aspects of the colonial/revolutionary period. TURN is about a spy ring operating for Washington and is generally quite well done. Like all such historical presentations, strict accuracy is, at times, sacrificed for drama, but it is done so judiciously and without any significant deviation from the broad historical record. The acting is excellent in almost every case, the attention to period detail is rigorous and I recommend it to anyone looking for a more satisfying (and nuanced) look at the period than what is on offer in The Patriot. Along with the HBO John Adams series, TURN provides a good sample of the period.
TURN--entertaining colonial American history series
Collapse
Related Topics
Collapse
-
by OvationJust watched a couple of historical feature films for work purposes. I often use films in my history classes to illustrate various ideas and make the students practice critical viewing skills (similar to critical reading and thinking skills applied to more traditional source material). I want them to...-
Channel: DVD Director
16 April 2020, 00:01 Thursday -
-
by David MeekHere's a list of most of the DVD's being released this coming Tuesday - August 10th. NOTE: Some of these may be re-releases.
360 VM: The Standard
Abbott & Costello Show, The: #11
Abbott & Costello Show, The: #12
Abbott & Costello Show, The: #13...-
Channel: DVD Director
-
-
by jimmyp58Thought I'd start a fun one regarding some of the tv moments most memorable to you. Some might be funny, some graphic and sad, some that are of historical significance (good or bad), and some that might have great meaning to some but are truly oblivious to others. This might be fun too for folks all... -
by madmac
American Sniper
I spun this BD the other day in a series of 3 films that I rented (see other two reviews listed here). This is a very good, well done film! This movie is more about the emotional toll that going to war and shooting people has on people than the war itself....-
Channel: DVD Director
-
-
I think there needs to be a sticky thread showing this history of the 800 series pricing. Now I dont remember or have all the models/prices/dates so feel free to contribute. If I am wrong, feel free to correct me. I will start with the Nautilus series.
B&W Nautilus
...-
Channel: Club B & W Speakers
-
- Loading...
- No more items.
