The Raven--Nevermore?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004
    • 2204

    #1

    The Raven--Nevermore?

    Pulled one off the as yet (far too large) unopened pile last night. The Raven, with John Cusack and Brendan Gleeson, from 2011. Bought it during my local video store's periodic very low priced used disc sales (cost was less than a rental). Directed by the same guy who did V for Vendetta, which I really liked, starring one of my favourite actors (Cusack--though recent career choices have not been among his best) and based on elements (mostly fictional, but not all) of one of my favourite American poets, I figured I'd enjoy it.

    Well, I didn't hate it (and it did have Alice Eve to look at) but I was disappointed, considering the talent involved. The look and "feel" of the film is well done--a believable recreation of mid-19th century Baltimore as viewed by Edgar Allan Poe--but the story lacks coherence. There are good moments but transitions from one to the other are not as well-developed as they could have been. I don't mind that I bought it, considering its price, but I would not recommend buying it for more than 5$ at most. It is more properly a rental/streaming title (though its heavy use of dark scenes might make a streaming version look considerably worse than the disc), and probably only for fans of gothic tales set in the 19th century. You won't likely feel your time was wasted watching it, but you should feel no great need to make any detours to view it. It's not essential viewing by any stretch.

Related Topics

Collapse

  • Foxman
    Netflix to start streaming
    by Foxman
    NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Online movie rental service Netflix introduced a new feature Tuesday to allow customers to watch movies and television series on their personal computers and said it will make the new feature available to its subscribers in a phased rollout during the next six months.
    ...
    16 January 2007, 13:28 Tuesday
  • Andrew Pratt
    Rental windows....here we go again
    by Andrew Pratt
    YET EVEN as DVD surges, it is on a different economic path than video, and one that is fraught with dangerous unknowns.
    Where video enriched Hollywood through rental fees and sales, the hottest action in DVD right now is in sales. Chains like Wal-Mart Stores Inc., Target Corp. and Best...
    05 February 2002, 14:43 Tuesday
  • Kevin P
    Need a new BD player with streaming (Amazon Prime, Hulu etc). and component video
    by Kevin P
    Although my 9 year old Sony BDP-S570 still works flawlessly, it's obsolete... as in more and more streaming services don't work on it. Amazon Prime Video is scheduled to end support for my player in late September. It also doesn't support Hulu at all, and with the Orville moving there for season 3,...
    17 August 2019, 20:46 Saturday
  • Sasha99
    Cp 800 usb & streaming is coming
    by Sasha99
    Good evening everyone

    I would like to share with Classe community what I have seen on Montreal Audio show last weekend.
    First of all, USB @ 24/192 is ready to go.
    Streaming over ethernet connection is ready as well.
    It is all part of the same (new) board.
    ...
    25 March 2013, 19:25 Monday
  • ravilious
    Streaming music player - fast forward
    by ravilious
    Hello

    I am new to streaming music and are currently auditioning a music fidelity clic 1 player. I have played music back from a variety of sources and while is sounds great I have one big issue. If I am playing a file/track off a memory stick or network while it is possible to pause...
    22 January 2014, 02:09 Wednesday
  • Loading...
  • No more items.
Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

    Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

    Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"