X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Nebraska

Filmed in black & white, this film is a gourmet meal for the eyes.
    In much the same way as colorizing an Ansel Adams landscape would remove the heart of the art, so too, this film just had to be in made in B&W.
    From a cinematographic standpoint alone, this movie is spectacular.

The plot is mixed & flirts multiple genres from black comedy to heart-wrenching drama.
    I must add the disclaimer that I am simply a huge fan of Bruce Dern, so my proclivity to favor this work is biased.
    But Bruce holds forth by any standard, his character endearing itself in short order from his pure innocence to his unyielding perseverance.
    All the performances are exemplary & the script is pure genius.
    One of most enjoyable we have seen in ages.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

I'll be watching this one soon and ring in my comments. Plus if all else fails, it's a great test of your TV's contrast settings and black levels right!!??. :lol:
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

I spun this on DVD yesterday and I agree with Bill on all fronts!. I will say however that this film is not for everyone. It's slow and could be described by some as 'Boring' if you insist on a movie that delivers excitement and 'pop'.

As well, I would not watch this movie in a tired state. I was able to watch this in the morning so I was fresh and was able to accept and follow it's rather slow start. By the time I finished watching this, I was really impressed at the whole thing.......A fantastic glimpse into rural America and it's sensibilities. The relationship between the father and son and how it develops in this film is super well done. The scene that sticks to me is where the old man enters into his childhood home and walks through it's abandoned corridors. I think we would all like to walk into the house of our youth and reminisce .......but in this case, it being abandoned made it haunting to say the least.

The ending of this film is touching to say the least.....that's all I'll say on that.

I give this one 8/10 stars (oh ya and....the black levels on my TV are well adjusted!!)
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I am sincerely happy to hear you enjoyed this film, Dan!
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

It's obviously a character driven film. It's definitely on my viewing list.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

I watched this film earlier this evening. I thought it was wonderful. I laughed out loud on a number of occasions. At other times it made me quite sad. All of us can identify with one or more of the characters. There were times when I didn't know whether I was the father or the son. Once or twice I felt I was the mother!

It's a huge relief to me that Hollywood can make real films about ordinary people when they want to. It will probably lose money.

Footnote: the father is played by Bruce Dern. I grew up in the 1960s seeing Bruce Dern play the bad guy in TV westerns such as Rawhide, Gunsmoke, Wagon Train and Bonanza. I was surprised and very pleased to see that he is still acting in films all these years later.

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"