X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Take Shelter (2011)

I found this film quite disturbing, so much so that I considered turning it off half way through, but it was so compelling that I had to continue watching it until the end.

The lead character Curtis, who is a good solid working man with a loving family, starts having terrible nightmares that include a ferocious storm where it rains oil and various people attacking him and his family. In response to these nightmares he builds an elaborate storm shelter in his garden. Everyone thinks he's crazy, but is he? Perhaps he is a prophet who is accurately predicting an impending cataclysmic event? Perhaps the film is simply depicting what it's like to go insane? Perhaps the film has no meaning at all and director Jeff Nichols is just messing with our heads so that simple folk like me go to bed feeling disturbed?

You watch the film and tell me.

Nigel.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Don't think that title is available at my local ma and pa video outlet. I'll check it out, though, the next time I'm there.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

I saw the trailer for this film and it looks interesting. I may check this one out!.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Finally watched Take Shelter this weekend. 9.5/10.

Visceral, touching, uncomfortable, real and impeccably acted. I can not overstate that enough, the two leads do phenomenal work.

Probably one of the best films in the last ~10 years IMO.

Watch it.

Jason

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Ok I'm in !!.
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"