X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Brazil (1985)

Terry Gilliam, who is probably best known for his acting role in the Monty Python TV series, directed this sci-fi drama comedy satire about an oppressive bureaucratic future world that is strangely similar to the world we live in today. It’s a bizarre blend of George Orwell’s 1984 and Pythonesque British humour.

For those of you who follow the War On Terror and the workings of the NSA, or even regular folks who might wear tennis shoes or an occasional python boot, this is essential viewing.

Nigel.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Yeah, Nigel. I watch it every so often.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Yup. I've owned the Criterion DVD set for maybe a dozen years now. It was quite the landmark movie, obviously heavily influenced by 1984, THX 1138, and others. And then went on to influence others, including the Matrix. Even Gilliam's own later "12 Monkeys", still one of my all-time favorite films. There's some good extra material in the complete set. I just watched it again about a month ago. Gilliam is very strange sometimes, but this was a very good movie.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

One of my all-time favorites.
        I should give it watch as I have not seen it many, many years.
        I am sure it will be quite nice on my current system compared to the old VHS & square CRT I first saw it on.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"