X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zephyrtear
    • Oct 2010

Statement crossover components question

Hello!
    I am planning on building a pair of statement monitors and a center channel in the beginning of next year and i have a question about the components in the crossover.

Since i live in Brazil and am traveling to the US in Jan, i will already have to bring all the speakers plus im bringing an onkyo 708 :T . I researched the best components around here in Brazil so that maybe i wouldnt have to buy them in the US and here is my doubt.

The description of the components i received from the best supplier here are the following.

Inductors

With 1% accuracy, wound on CNC machines;
    Varnished in the end of the process, delivered with tinned terminals already;
    Encapsulated in square plastic spool;
    Any value of micro-or milli Henry and quantities chosen by the user;
    Wire gauge can also be chosen from 22 to 14AWG wires;

Capacitors
    In polypropylene film,
    1.5 to 50uF capacitance in steps of 0.5 uF
    Tolerance 2%.
    Working Voltage 250VAC, Special divisors.
    Encapsulated in cylindrical plastic "mug"(not sure what this means hehe), with 10cm flexible wires terminal ]

Would it be ok if i bought the materials for the crossover in Brazil given these parameters or should i just go ahead and buy the original BOM ones when i go to the US?
  • 5th element
    Supreme Being Moderator
    • Sep 2009

Those sound fine, do you know if the inductors are cored and if so what core they use?
    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• zephyrtear
      • Oct 2010

hmm good question... I will have to ask the supplier again.

But by fine do you mean they are alright or good/just as good as the dayton and jantzen ones?

Comment

• Phil82
        • Sep 2010

The real issue is with the inductors DCR (DC Resistance).
        you have to match them as close as possible to the original DCR values.

Capacitors are no problem.

Comment

• zephyrtear
          • Oct 2010

thanks for the replies!! i ended up deciding to get the components in the US tho!

I do have a few more questions... I will be buying everything for one pair of monitors this weekend since my dad is going to miami in a week therefore he can bring the parts for me.

Upon looking at the parts in ERSE from the latest BOM a few problems arose:

1. The 8.2 uF ERSE caps are Backordered, Would it be ok to get the Dayton ones from the old BOM instead?

2. The 50 uF ERSE caps from the BOM are actually 51 uF in the website, they dont have 50 uF. Should i go with the 51 uF?? Is it a typo from the BOM? I checked PE from the old BOM and the Dayton was also 51 uF with the BOM saying 50...

3. The .25 mH 20 gauge ERSE inductor are backordered as well. Can i go with the Jantzen one from the old BOM?

I appreciate the help!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by zephyrtear
            thanks for the replies!! i ended up deciding to get the components in the US tho!

I do have a few more questions... I will be buying everything for one pair of monitors this weekend since my dad is going to miami in a week therefore he can bring the parts for me.

Upon looking at the parts in ERSE from the latest BOM a few problems arose:

1. The 8.2 uF ERSE caps are Backordered, Would it be ok to get the Dayton ones from the old BOM instead?

2. The 50 uF ERSE caps from the BOM are actually 51 uF in the website, they dont have 50 uF. Should i go with the 51 uF?? Is it a typo from the BOM? I checked PE from the old BOM and the Dayton was also 51 uF with the BOM saying 50...

3. The .25 mH 20 gauge ERSE inductor are backordered as well. Can i go with the Jantzen one from the old BOM?

I appreciate the help!
            You can order everything from the old BOM. The reason for the updated one was to save a few bucks. Often, the exact value isn't available so one that's very close works fine. No worries!

However, DCR on the inductors is pretty important that it be very close.

EDIT: I should clarify that any brand parts can be used in the crossovers. The BOM's are just for your convenience and to point you to where you can find appropriate values. If you have a different brand part that is comparable in quality and value, you can expect the speaker to sound the same as with the parts off the BOM's.

Jim

Comment

• zephyrtear
              • Oct 2010

Thank you for clarifying this for me Jim!!

Comment

• zephyrtear
                • Oct 2010

Hi guys!

I have an issue, the BOM inductor is Backordered. Is could i switch to this inductor instead? I dont know if the DCR is similar on both. The guys from Parts Express said it wouldnt change much, only a difference of 1 db . Is this true?

Can i order this instead?

BOM inductor

New Inductor

Thank you so much!!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by zephyrtear
                  Hi guys!

I have an issue, the BOM inductor is Backordered. Is could i switch to this inductor instead? I dont know if the DCR is similar on both. The guys from Parts Express said it wouldnt change much, only a difference of 1 db . Is this true?

Can i order this instead?

BOM inductor

New Inductor

Thank you so much!!
                  This INDUCTOR is certainly an option but PE's shows it'll be back in stock it two days.

Jim

Comment

• Face
                    • Mar 2007

These guys may have it in stock: http://www.zalytron.com/

Have you tried Erse themselves? http://www.erseaudio.com/Products/Su.../ESQ55-14-7000
                    SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"