X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

MUD is damn good cinema

Two Southern boys in their early teens, Ellis and Neckbone, come upon a desperate fugitive ( Matthew McConaughey ) hiding out on an island in the Mississippi River. He has killed a man in Texas who had hurt a girl ( Reese Witherspoon ) he professes to love and asks the boys for help. They agree and thus begins a little bit of a fairy tale, a little bit of coming of age, and a whole lot of a drama about adults, warts and all. As characters develop, the storyline becomes layered and the drama builds to a violent climax. The film runs a little over two hours but I was hooked all the way.

An outstanding performance by McConaughey, and by the young actor ( Tye Sheridan ) who portrayed 14 year old Ellis, as well as good performances in smaller roles by Reese Witherspoon, Sam Shepard ( Mud's father figure ), and Sarah Paulsen and Ray McKinnon as Ellis's troubled parents. The film was written and directed by Jeff Nichols, who was new to me. I must say, this guy has a future in filmmaking.

I wouldn't recommend this as family fare as things get pretty violent toward the end. I feel it is more suited to those of us who love character driven dramas. If that's you, then you owe it to yourself to see this one soon. :5:
    My Homepage!
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Cool, George. I just looked up Mud again on Rotten Tomatoes, and it's at 98% fresh. I wasn't paying attention to this one, but I'll definitely give it a rent.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Yeah hearing and reading lots of good things about this one. It's on my list
      Jason

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Will be adding this to the list as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

McConaughey apparently received a standing ovation , at the Toronto International Film Festival, for his performance in Dallas Buyers Club. He's really stretching his acting chops by taking on really different roles involving complicated characters. I got a feeling an Oscar isn't far off.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Finally watched this last night and agree, great movie. Nicely layered story and great acting.

Totally agree on Tye Sheridan's job here. As good as McConaughey is (he is), Tye was the stand out for me, just an excellent, honest performance. He nails the "cool" exterior of a teenage boy dealing with numerous complex themes/relationships and the broiling emotion lying just under the surface that boils over when pushed.

Solid 8/10 IMO :T
            Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Yeah, Jason, the kid was really really good.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Rented this, thought it was nice. I agree that the lead kid did an excellent job. I also appreciated how the setting was portrayed, on the river. Definitely a life different from what I'm used to.

Wasn't overwhelmed, but it was a good rental.
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

I had this puppy sitting on my coffee table (rented it from my library) but never got around to seeing it. Well, I can see that it was my loss to not watch it. Next time I go the library I'll rent it again Mr. George!!.
                  Dan Madden :T

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                    McConaughey apparently received a standing ovation , at the Toronto International Film Festival, for his performance in Dallas Buyers Club. I got a feeling an Oscar isn't far off.
                    Every now and then I get it right.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

I finally spun this movie yesterday and George is right.....this is damn good cinema!. I loved the two boys characters, their sensibilities, and thought back and was reminded to what it was like when I was that age. McConaughey also does a wonderful job in this film as the rogue, wanted man. And I will say this.......I worried for these boys throughout this movie.....I really worried for them!.

This film is a solid 8/10 from my point of view!.
                      Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"