• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Upside Down

Anybody seen this yet?
    My brother gave it a 'thumbs up' for an intriguing concept with an engaging plot.
    Not too many good sci-fi offerings of late, a genre that I love, this one is on my list.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Saw the case at the local video store and was intrigued, but haven't gotten around to renting it yet. Was planning to do so upon returning from our annual camping trip.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I'll probably rent it eventually.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

This is the one I am really excited to see when it is released on DVD.
        & this one, if I can find it a local rental store.

We watch so few movies any more that I dropped my Netflix account.
        The only bad part is, they always had most all the Indi & foreign films The Wife & typically are interested in.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

Originally posted by wkhanna
          Saw the case at the local video store ...
          Wow. You still have a local video store that rents movies? Around here, it seems almost all titles of any interest these days have to be rented or purchased over the internet. (Although like you, I don't watch enough movies any more to justify a Netflix account.)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Absolutely! I regularly use our Blockbuster, and they don't seem to be hurting for business.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Bill, you're getting me excited.

Nigel.

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                Wow. You still have a local video store that rents movies? Around here, it seems almost all titles of any interest these days have to be rented or purchased over the internet. (Although like you, I don't watch enough movies any more to justify a Netflix account.)
                There are two within walking distance and three more within a 10 min. drive. I know they've been disappearing but in my area, we're not lacking for them yet. Most of them belong to the same chain (Videotron), which is also the local cable provider. They have deep pockets, so I doubt they will disappear in the short term. They've even introduced "Netflix-like" programmes--you can pay a flat fee per month and rent as many films from the non-new releases as you want, with no set return limits (want the movie for three weeks, go ahead). New releases are available to you for a minimum of three days and, within a couple of weeks, for seven days. And lots and lots of Blu-ray, even in the older catalogue titles.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

There's three mom and pop outlets locally. One is quite large and competed well with Blockbuster before they closed here. I will likely find the two titles Bill is referring to locally.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                    • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Peter Sobczynski in the Chicago Sun-Times
                    Simply put, this is one of the craziest films to come along in a while and I can confidently say that anyone who sees it will either hail it is some kind of crackpot masterpiece or dismiss it as one of the silliest damn things they've ever seen.
                    That's enough for me to want to see "Upside Down" even if it did only garner 28% favorable notices from critics on Rotten Tomatoes.

But even though "Upside Down" sounds like it should be fun to watch at least once, I won't be renting it from a local video store. The "mom & pops" are gone, and Blockbuster is down to 15 stores in the entire Houston area after seeming to have had one on every street corner at its peak about 10 years ago (almost as ubiquitous back then as Starbucks) and none of the remaining ones are convenient to where I live.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"