X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Cabin In The Woods

This is one strange horror movie. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I liked it. One thing I do know. I wouldn't want to watch it again.
    My Homepage!
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

George, I think I can agree with your sentiments.

During the first two acts, I hated it and hated that it was our movie for the night. Then the final act occurred and I started to question whether I really hated the first two.

Without giving out any spoilers, I think they should have made a Clue type maneuver and had multiple versions of the movie released randomly to different theaters, all with a different 'choice'.

Or perhaps having the twist not peppered throughout the film, just revealed in the third act. The comic relief took away from the horror of it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• technodanvan
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

I happened to see this last night and really ended up enjoying it a lot. The only problem I had was that I liked pretty much every character in the movie, which differed from the average horror movie in the I'm always hoping for a particular character to die. Very upset when that doesn't happen - I think it was Jessica Biel in one of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remakes that really irked me.

I should point out I tend to be a fan of Joss Whedon so maybe I just like humor mixed in with movies, regardless of the genre itself.

Anyway, I liked it and will probably watch it again.

Originally posted by Kevin D
      Without giving out any spoilers, I think they should have made a Clue type maneuver and had multiple versions of the movie released randomly to different theaters, all with a different 'choice'.
      The girlfriend mentioned this exact same thing. It would have been a lot of extra filming but it would have been a pretty awesome feature to have on disc.
      - Danny

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Yeah, this one didn't look very important to me, but interesting enough that I'll watch it when it comes to TV or something.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Dmantis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2004

I'm gonna watch it as it looks interesting enough.

Comment

• june
            • Feb 2005

hello all,

glad it was a $1.50 rental from Redbox! It was horrible.
            June
            "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

I actually rented this tonight from Blockbuster. To start, I echo George's thoughts. It's not a straightforward movie in ANY sense.

But in the end, I have to say I like this movie. DEFINITELY a fresh idea, which I appreciate more than anything. How many times has the traditional horror film been made? So many times, that it was new and refreshing when the "horror twist" films came out, that spoofed and twisted the tiresome horror formulas. This movie, though, turns it all on its ear and reaches a whole new level of plot layers below plot.

Not a perfect movie in any way. I'm not a horror fan by any means--and if I were, I honestly don't know if that would mean that I would like this movie even more, or even less. But I appreciated what Joss Whedon did to the film.

:3: out of :5: for me. I'm actually watching some special features now to pick up on some nuances. Worth a watch, but like George said, not something I want to watch again.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"