X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

Any Sylvain Chomet Fans?

I just finished watching my 3rd Sylvain Chomet film, "The Triplets of Belleville". In most films pictures and sound are used to tell a story. The telling of the story determines what the pictures should be and what is said and what is appropriate foley and music.

Not so in a Chomet film. The story is the background and is used to drive the sound and visuals. Images first, sound second, story line....well I guess there has to be one. His perspectives are unique his images are full and complex. There is never any real dialog just semblances of dialog. Even the sounds are unique but, you understand what is being presented.

In the "Triplets of Belleville" the movie starts out with the triplets as vaudeville singers on a t.v. screen. The next time we see them they have aged and their show is reminiscent of the stage play "Stomp". They ruffle a newspaper, stomp their feet, pluck the rack of a refrigerator, use a bicycle wheel for a vibraphone. There is a story here also, several stories within the story. Is it about a dog? A dogs dream? A grandmother and grandson watching tv? Is there really a kidnapping? I dunno doesn't even matter, it is fun.
    Last edited by Bob; 07 June 2011, 15:33 Tuesday.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Mmm, don't know about that, Bob. I'm usually open to anything unique, but I'm not sure I would like what you describe.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Bob
      • Jul 2000

Yeah, it is odd animation. You might want to look at the trailer before completely dismissing it though.

Comment

• Bob
        • Jul 2000

Hmmm, nobody at least a little intrigued by the trailer?

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

I remember wanting to see it from the Oscars, and then promptly forgot about it until now so many years later.

Thanks for posting up. Amazon had it for $7.49 and I'm on a one month Prime trial, so I'll have it Wednesday.

Thanks,

Kevin D.

Comment

• Silver1omo
            • Sep 2010

That looks interesting... Now I need to find it locally...
            Ivan.
            My Statement monitors

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"