X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

The Fighter

If you didn't get to the theater to see this great fight movie get your hands on the DVD as soon as possible. I can't emphasize enough how incredible the acting is in this film.

If you saw it at the theater or if this is your first viewing, watch the bonus material on the making of first. It allows you to really see how all the actors and actresses in this film absolutely nailed their characters. Especially Christian Bale. Dickey Ward's very kinetic movements, facial tics, speech patterns are very distinct. I don't know any other actor that could have played him better than Christian. Personally, I think that being nominated for best supporting actor was wrong. The story is about both brothers and he and Mark Wahlberg had equal rolls and screen time. He should have been nominated for best actor.

Also, the bonus section will give you a glimpse at how incredible Mark Wahlberg's life story is. How dedicated he was to making this film and how he could possibly be the smartest actor in Hollywood. By the way, he also absolutely nailed his character. But, I would say that it was easier for him because his life is so similar to Dicky Ward. He grew up in a similar neighborhood and already had the right accent.

Story wise, it is so well done that it feels like you are watching a documentary. I especially liked that they didn't use any glamorous actresses. They used women that looked like the women from that neighborhood and time. The only fight film that I would consider in "The Fighter"'s league would be the documentary of the all time heavy weight fight of the century, "When We Were Kings".
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Thanks, Bob. I didn't see this at the theater but I do intend to rent it soon.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Is it another formulaic fight film where he struggles and struggles and then finally wins at the end?
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Bob
        • Jul 2000

Is it another formulaic fight film where he struggles and struggles and then finally wins at the end?
        Nope, it is a true story and the struggle is within the family. It is a actor driven drama. If your favorite type of movie's are like Transformers or Sucker Punch you may not like it.

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

I grew up about 15 miles from Lowell, MA (in southern NH, but my town in many ways resembles Lowell). I knew people like those in the film and grew up in a similar neighbourhood. I can thus vouch for the film's authenticity of tone and character. A film worth seeing.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"