X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Amelia's a good watch

AMELIA is more than a film about the courageous and adventurous Amelia Earhart and her conquest of the skies, mostly it is a compelling portrait of the woman herself, warts and all. Hilary Swank makes you believe she is Amelia in the flesh, and Richard Gere is believable as George Putnam, the husband and the man who, during the early rocky years of their marriage, helps make Amelia's conquests possible, and eventually wins her heart.

The Blu-ray transfer is gorgeous with breathtaking aerial cinematography, and the audio is there when it has to be. The wife and I both enjoyed this film and highly recommend a viewing. :T
    My Homepage!
  • David G
    • Jan 2005

Thanks George, sounds like my kind of movie.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Huh... it only looked so-so to me. And I had heard several critics say that the on-screen romance between Gere and Swank (sounds like a legal firm) wasn't very believable.

I'll give it a chance if you say so, though, George!
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
        Huh... it only looked so-so to me. And I had heard several critics say that the on-screen romance between Gere and Swank (sounds like a legal firm) wasn't very believable.
        Only looked so-so ? My BenQ 1080p projecting on a 7 foot wide screen made me feel at times that I was up there with Amelia.

The on-screen romance was believable in that it was a rather rocky union of the two . She was a free spirit and made that clear when he proposed to her, and she was actually unfaithful to him, probably through most of their marriage.

Anyway, what do the critics know ??? :P
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

I think he was using the work "looked" in the sense of "the previews of the film looked so-so (uninspiring)" rather than the picture quality was deficient. That's how I read his comment.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
            I think he was using the work "looked" in the sense of "the previews of the film looked so-so (uninspiring)" rather than the picture quality was deficient. That's how I read his comment.
            You're probably correct. As for the film itself, I thought it was handled pretty well. I didn't know much about the personal side of Amelia Earhart and felt the movie presented a flesh and blood look at the woman. And Swank is a terrific actress.
            My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"