X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The Women is...

... a woman's movie. Not a man in sight. Seriously. I managed to suffer through this for my wife's sake, but you couldn't pay me enough to sit through it again. :Z
    My Homepage!
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

No eye candy? It's pretty well understood with my wife that when we watch a 'chick flick' (her words, incidentally), I will be looking for eye candy AND pointing it out (those are the "terms"). She is free to do the same when she joins me for a more "male-dominated" (in terms of actors on screen) film and frequently does so. Makes it possible for me to make it through most 'chick flicks'.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

That's a sensible arrangement, Ovation. As for The Women, there is no real eye candy. Anette Benning looks good for her age, but Meg Ryan no longer has that "cute girl next door " look. She's had work done on her face and really screwed her looks. Especially her lips.

As for the movie itself, I was curious enough to rent and watch it with my wife. I was vaguely aware of the 1939 original, and the fact that it was a play written by Claire Luce Booth. But, really, it was just so much "womanly" throughout that I dozed off a few times. If you've ever had to be in the same house when a baby shower is going on, then you'll know what I talking about.

Oh, there was one highlight. Bette Midler had a cameo appearance and as always she was a hoot.
      My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"