X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

DECEPTION is deceptive

With Hugh Jackman and Ewan McGregor heading up this cast, I thought it would be an outright winner. Alas, such was not the case. McGregor is an accountant who lives a boring life. Jackman's character enters McGregor's life and he finds himself involved in several sexual encounters. But one woman, Michelle Williams, gets under his skin and he falls in love. But then everything begins to fall apart as deception becomes apparent, leading to a violent conclusion.

The plot sounds good, and things worked for the first hour, but after that it ran out of steam and led to an ending that was a bit ridiculous. I'm not recommending you not see this. If you like the actors you will probably not be too unhappy with the film. You just may end up, like me, expecting more than what you got.

:2:

A note on the picture quality. I rented it on Blu-ray and found it less than appealing. Actually, this type of film, which is often shot in low light and indoors, really doesn't benefit much from a high def transfer. A standard dvd would probably look just fine. In fact, all high def did for this film is draw attention to Ewan McGregor's moles and pimples, the latter of which the makeup artist should have paid more attention.
    My Homepage!
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I figure if a film is out on video that, despite its cast, I've never heard of until I walk into the video store, it's not likely to be all that great (I've been wrong on occasion about films like this, but not often). Usually, they get a rental from me, if at all, when they are no longer "new releases" (and, consequently, cheap to rent). This sounds like that kind of movie to me.

Besides, I've amassed quite a list of recent BDs in my collection that warrant my attention--How The West Was Won, the Godfather trilogy and Reservoir Dogs, to name but a few.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
      I figure if a film is out on video that, despite its cast, I've never heard of until I walk into the video store, it's not likely to be all that great (I've been wrong on occasion about films like this, but not often). Usually, they get a rental from me, if at all, when they are no longer "new releases" (and, consequently, cheap to rent). This sounds like that kind of movie to me.
      I have found that some under promoted, or films with short theatrical runs, can be little jewels. An example of this is a little film entitled In Bruges. Unfortunately, Deception was not one of those little jewels.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
        I have found that some under promoted, or films with short theatrical runs, can be little jewels. An example of this is a little film entitled In Bruges. Unfortunately, Deception was not one of those little jewels.
        True, which is why I made room for exceptions. But I've seen a few too many such films, with names that are (or once were) bankable--Cuba Gooding Jr. and Wesley Snipes come to mind (even one or two with Morgan Freeman--who, while good himself, cannot always rescue a bad picture)--to be too adventurous with such films, unless recommended by someone whose tastes I trust (like yours).

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Cuba Gooding Jr. and Snipes seemed to have drifted to very low levels in their desire to remain active actors. These are " for the money " roles that are B or even C class films that were destined to go straight to video. A shame because both were pretty good actors, and probably could still be if they had decent material to work with.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

Thanks George as always, taking one for the team!
            -Chuck

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"