X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The Ruins

I rented this on Blu-ray but it had some kind of a smudge on it that I couldn't clean , so it wouldn't play in my Panny. I returned it and had to settle for a dvd version. Basically, a half dozen young folk ( they're always young, aren't they ) while vacationing in Mexico, take a trip into the jungle to see an ancient Aztec monument called The Ruins. Things get messy, of course, and I won't divulge the source of the evil, but it has some scary moments, and just a little too much gore for my palate. I didn't recognize any of the actors, but they came off beliveable enough. The ending , though, didn't cut it for me. A little better than the average horror flick, but a little overcooked in the gore dept. I reccomend a rental first and a purchase later if you feel it is good enough to stand up to repeated viewings. I didn't.
    My Homepage!
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Oh, didn't know it came out this week. I listened to the audio book on the way back from Oklahoma and the book was very gory as well. I'll have to check it out for myself. I know in the book the gore was required for you to see the psychological break-down.

Kevin D.

Comment

• comeup
      • Jul 2005

Just finished watching it moments ago BD version scale 1-5 movie 2 1/2, picture 3, sound 2 could of used more sound affects maybe rain or something since they were in the jungle, the movie did keep me watching all the way to the end. rent first.
      Blake

Comment

• Nolan B
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2005

For me the movia wasnt scary or even that graphic if you compare it to a movie like Hostel. IMO very little was done to build the graphic scenes, and I am surprised at what happened from scene to scene with a tittle like "The Ruines". Its certainly nothing like The Decent which was 10x better.

2 out of 5 for movie
        2 out of 5 for video (BD)
        2 out of 5 for Audio

Im not picky when it comes to horror flicks. Its worth watching, but not worth buying

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Vancouver
          For me the movia wasnt scary or even that graphic if you compare it to a movie like Hostel. Its worth watching, but not worth buying
          A little too graphic for me. I avoid films like Hostel and Saw so I can't compare them to The Ruins. And yes, not worth buying IMHO.

BTW, if you own a Panasonic BD30 like I do, you will have trouble playing this disc. I first thought it was a smudge, but I understand that this film and Drill Bit Taylor ( both from Paramount ) for some reason or other will not play if a 24p signal is being sent to you 24p capable projector or tv. You have to go into the Panny menu and disable 24p. It will then play perfectly. Very strange.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Darn...added this to my Zip List because I'd heard it was smarter than the average modern horror flick. I'm not a big fan of the modern horror with it's gore for the sake of gore and lack of smart writing.
            Jason

Comment

• dave34
              • Jun 2008

I actually liked this film, there was some very graphic scenes but as far as I was concerned it was related to the story as it unfolded in reference to the characters and what they were going through. Imo it was a really smart film and worth buying, but one man's opinion doesn't mean everyone will enjoy the film. Rent it and see for yourself, if you like it enough to buy it then enjoy the hell outta it, just my thoughts.

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Sorry, my mistake... the movie I have zipped is "The Descent"

http://www.zip.ca/Browse/Title.aspx?f=titleId(143803)
                Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

That's funny... when I first saw the cover for "The Ruins", I thought it was the Descent, as it looks just the same, a lone lady covered in blood, screaming upwards.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

The Descent:

The Ruins:

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Heh, heh, probably the same illustrator with a one track mind...
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

Well, finally watched it. I agree, about a 2-3 across the board.

The book was much more psychological. Everything happened over 5-7 days, not two.

Also, the vines were not 'speed freaks' in the book. Very slow and intelligent. They could mimic voices perfectly and actually started changing things that were said to pit everyone against each other. They didn't attack anyone in the dig hole, but actually covered another hole at the bottom and tried to lure them across it with the cell phone noise.

The girl who wanted to keep cuttin the vines out was actually her boyfriend in the book. And he lived a very long time progressively cutting out more and more of himself.

Anyway, had they made it 30 minutes longer and turned it more about the break-down of the mind, it might have been better.

Kevin D.

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Chris D
                          The Descent:

The Ruins:

See, easy to get confused :lol:
                          Jason

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

Gross is all I can say:#
                            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Ovation
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

Not my cup of tea as a genre, though if I hear something exceptionally good about a particular film...

So far, not exceptional enough for me to add to my list. Anyone have any outstanding films in the genre to recommend?

Comment

• littlesaint
                                • Jul 2007

Watched this last night. I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't have high expectations, but it was pretty good. I plan on reading the book as I've read that it is even better. I thought the blonde girl (don't know the name) did a good job acting wise. I liked the alternate ending with the cemetery scene.
                                Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by littlesaint
                                  Watched this last night. I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't have high expectations, but it was pretty good. I plan on reading the book as I've read that it is even better. I thought the blonde girl (don't know the name) did a good job acting wise. I liked the alternate ending with the cemetery scene.
                                  Gross movie too much gore stupid story :scareboo:
                                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• littlesaint
                                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by wettou
                                    Gross movie too much gore stupid story :scareboo:
                                    I you stating an opinion...again...or implying that mine is not valid?

If you have an opinion, that's fine, but so do I, so if you please show some respect to others.
                                    Santino

Comment

• wettou
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • May 2006

Originally posted by littlesaint
                                      I you stating an opinion...again...or implying that mine is not valid? If you have an opinion, that's fine, but so do I, so if you please show some respect to others.
                                      My appologies I didn't mean to offend you

Comment

• Hdale85
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

I found it to be interesting and the gore really wasn't that bad at all. It was much worse in other movies I've seen that weren't even horror films. It was a somewhat new approach and was rather creative. My biggest complaint is I wanted to know more of what was going on. Thats a lot of my problems with horror movies is its all killing and scares and stuff but you don't find out what caused this or whats actually going on a lot.

Comment

• comeup
                                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                          I found it to be interesting and the gore really wasn't that bad at all. It was much worse in other movies I've seen that weren't even horror films. It was a somewhat new approach and was rather creative. My biggest complaint is I wanted to know more of what was going on. Thats a lot of my problems with horror movies is its all killing and scares and stuff but you don't find out what caused this or whats actually going on a lot.
                                          I agree where did the vines come from and why? was it the spirits from all the souls splattered there that created the vines? does the book tell you more?
                                          Blake

Comment

• Hdale85
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2006

I haven't read the book. Hard to find time for books I should try to though.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Nov 2004

This was a pretty funny movie. The lady made a commment "why is it always college kids in these types of movies?" It made the movie funnier. Because they lack common sense compared to anyone older or younger. Younger kids wouldn't (couldn't go), older adults wouldn't have bothered without being properly prepared. Or they would have burned the *****(antagonist) from the beginning or thrown ***** at the other antagonists.

They was only one part that was suprising. The rest was just gore gore gore. But it was funny. I'm glad I watched it for kicks. I'm glad I didn't buy it.
                                              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jan 2006

Hey I'm of the college age and even when I was younger I was never like these college kids you see in the movies.

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                  • Jul 2007

I think it's pretty easy to find a lack of common sense in people of all ages. Just watch your local news. :B
                                                  Santino

Comment

• Mike B
                                                    • Aug 2008

The book was good. Haven't seen the movie. After reading the book, I thought "this would be a great low budget movie"

You know, 1 basic scene.

Great theme, all the white men die and the indians live.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Mike B
                                                      :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
                                                      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Mike B
                                                        • Aug 2008

OK.

I finally watched about 10 minutes of this one and turned it off before I puked.

Pablo was Greek. He didn't speak ANY English.
                                                        Nobody threw vine at the Mayans.
                                                        The Mayans did not shoot their own child.
                                                        The "mound" was just that. A friggin' dirt hill, not some temple with steps.

Last time I waste any effort on another hollywood "ruination" of a good book.

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                          • Jul 2007

OK.

I finally watched about 10 minutes of this one and turned it off before I puked.

Pablo was Greek. He didn't speak ANY English.
                                                          Nobody threw vine at the Mayans.
                                                          The Mayans did not shoot their own child.
                                                          The "mound" was just that. A friggin' dirt hill, not some temple with steps.

Last time I waste any effort on another hollywood "ruination" of a good book.
                                                          If you base the quality or enjoyment of a film on the book it is adapted from, more often than not, you are going to be very disappointed.
                                                          Santino

Comment

• H.T.C
                                                            • Nov 2003

There is point that a person(s) would have to like horror or scifi horror movies to begin with or they would lose interest and start criticizing the film and find no entertainment value at all.

Here is good example: george likes his western movies but others may not and as soon as 7 shots ring out of a six shooter they are going to try to discover every little fault or mistake that was made in the production of the picture .

Sometimes you just have to let your mind go and relax and enjoy the show unless of course the feature is really awful but in the case of horror films being a fan makes it easier to enjoy.

It can be a bit disappointing if the film never tells the background of events or where the entities came from or how.
                                                            Robert

Comment

• Mike B
                                                              • Aug 2008

Yes, I find that usually the case.

A book really needs a mini series to do it justice. 2 hours just doesn't cover 700 pages.

Comment

• Russ L
                                                                • Jul 2006

The book was good. Haven't seen the movie. After reading the book, I thought "this would be a great low budget movie"

You know, 1 basic scene.

"Custer's Last Stand II"?
                                                                Russ

Comment

Working...
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"