X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Rio Bravo in HD DVD

Watched this a few nights ago (rental). Had never seen it before but became intrigued after watching The Searchers about 10 days earlier (a Christmas present on HD DVD that I'd finally gotten around to watching). While there seems to be some controversy from nitpickers about certain restoration decisions regarding colour palettes, I have to say each of them looks spectacular when one considers their age. The Searchers looks better than Rio Bravo but neither of them is a slouch (especially the latter with a young Angie Dickensen ;x( ).

For those who've never seen old classic westerns or who've only seen them on TV with bad prints and so on, I highly recommend "the trip down memory lane" each of these provides--and in HDM if possible (both are available in HD DVD and Blu-ray). I will be adding Rio Bravo to my HDM collection at some point (haven't decided whether the case will be "red" or "blue" yet).
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I've seen Rio Bravo more times than I can count. Though it is not a favorite of mine, it is an enjoyable western. You mentioned The Searchers. I first had this on vhs tape, then laserdisc, then dvd ( 2 versions ) and now on Blu-ray. I just happened to have watched it on Blu a few nights ago and the picture quality was even better than I remembered it in the theater. This, by far, is not only one of my most favorite westerns ( 3rd after Shane and High Noon ) but it is also what I feel is the Duke's best performance, and one he should have won the oscar for, rather than his role in True Grit, though that was pretty darn good, too.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• H.T.C
      • Nov 2003

My rifle ...my pony and me.
      Robert

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

Yes, George is right about The Searchers. John Wayne is as harsh and tough as the terrain in that one. I'd also recommend The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and Red River as great John Wayne westerns.
        Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

Forgot to mention, I like Rio Bravo probably more than George does. Dean Martin, to me, does some of his finest acting there as a man struggling against being a drunk. I'm probably the only one, but I enjoyed when Ricky Nelson strapped on the guitar and sang.
          Keith

Comment

• H.T.C
            • Nov 2003

Of course,they went and did a remake with robert mitchum but left the songs out that gave a nice break from the drama.
            Robert

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Danbry39
              Forgot to mention, I like Rio Bravo probably more than George does. Dean Martin, to me, does some of his finest acting there as a man struggling against being a drunk. I'm probably the only one, but I enjoyed when Ricky Nelson strapped on the guitar and sang.
              I enjoyed that as well. Probably more now than I would have had I been a teenager at the cinema. Dean does give a pretty powerful performance.

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Rio Bravo is a favorite of mine for many reasons, Dean Martin's and Ricky Nelson's performances among them. And yes right up there with it, I also like El Dorado with Robert Mitchum, James Caan and Michele Carey (woof!). 'Course being from Texas and working cattle as a youth, you really don't have a chance NOT to like John Wayne westerns. :B

Oh, don't forget the third of the "trio", Rio Lobo.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
                  Rio Bravo 'Course being from Texas and working cattle as a youth, you really don't have a chance NOT to like John Wayne westerns.
                  ... this wannabe Texan has always loved the Duke. I like Rio Bravo better than the other two Rios likely because of Dean Martin, but you don't have to say much to encourage me to spin any one of 'em anytime I'm in the mood for a dash of Wayne.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• H.T.C
                    • Nov 2003

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                    ... this wannabe Texan has always loved the Duke. I like Rio Bravo better than the other two Rios likely because of Dean Martin, but you don't have to say much to encourage me to spin any one of 'em anytime I'm in the mood for a dash of Wayne.
                    would that include his rarely ever played and the one movie critics were not too fond off (the conqueror) ?
                    Robert

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by H.T.C
                      would that include his rarely ever played and the one movie critics were not too fond off (the conqueror) ?
                      I haven't seen it , and from what I'm told, I'm better off not seeing it.

Like every other big Hollywood star in those days, you were bound to make a clunker or two.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"