X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • littlesaint
    • Jul 2007

30 Days of Night

A little conflicted on this one. For the first 1:30, this is one of the better vampire horror films I've seen. It's the ending that bothers me. It pretty much follows the comic that the film is based. The problem is that while it works in the comic, it fails miserably in the film. It comes off as a deus ex machina. Maybe there were to many re-writes or edits, and it just didn't develop properly. Entertaining none the less. If you enjoy the genre I recommend at least a rental. And if you do enjoy the film, I recommend reading some of the other offerings by the original creator, Steve Niles
    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I enjoyed this movie very much actually. I thought it was definitely one of the best vampire movies I've seen and the ending was quite emotional I thought and was very decent. I will say that the whole middle of the movie your expecting something huge to happen and nothing really does but its still a great movie.

Comment

• littlesaint
      • Jul 2007

Good to hear. I think I may be a bit biased in my opinion of the ending since I've read the source material. I think there could have been a bit more character and plot development there. However, absent of the source material, it does work within the film, and the last shot actually could setup the story that continues beyond the film.
      Santino

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Yes I could definitely see a second movie.

My friend who's a Horror film buff actually rented this and loved it so much that he's buying it on Blu-Ray. I may do the same haven't decided yet.

Comment

• H.T.C
          • Nov 2003

I have not seen it but know someone that did in the theater and liked it.

At least its not based on a videogame.
          Robert

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

I've always been a sucker for well done vampire flicks. I've read mostly good about this one so I went ahead and bought it on Blu.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

I don't think you'll be disappointed at all George.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Dougie085
                I don't think you'll be disappointed at all George.
                And I haven't read the source material, so I won't be disappointed there, either. Looking forward to watching this.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• june
                  • Feb 2005

hello all,

just watched the blu-ray version of this film. george, i love vampire films also. but i frackin hated the end.
                  June
                  "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Why can't horror and what not films be emotional without people saying they suck

Comment

• littlesaint
                      • Jul 2007

It wasn't the "emotion" of the ending that I didn't like. Anne Rice is one of my favorite authors (before she found Jesus) and her Vampire series is very emotional. Here, the end seemed rushed, as I said, like a deus ex machina. It is true to the original story, but I have to believe there's a better cut of the last 30 minutes somewhere.
                      Santino

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Watched it last night and quite enjoyed it. The ending didn't bother me. Now, if you have this on Blu-ray, here's a warning about the audio. Be v-e-r-y careful. There is a high volume on this disc and you could easily blow your sub or any of your other speakers if you have your volume set at reference. My volume is usually around -12, but I had to take this down to -30, and even then the walls were shaking.

All in all, I'm glad I bought it. Certianly one of the types I would watch again.
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Glad you enjoyed it George I had rented it but I think I will pick it up on Blu-Ray it was a great movie.

Comment

• Miroku
                            • Jul 2004

I got this on blu ray as well. I thought it was quite enjoyable. The soundtrack wasnt as dynamic as I was hoping for. Everything was pretty loud and clear and sounded nice, but when big things happened like car crashes and explosions, they werent any louder than other, less impactful things. The bass was pretty nice for sure.

I liked the concept and the twist at the end was cool. :T

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Miroku
                              The soundtrack wasnt as dynamic as I was hoping for. :T
                              I was referring more to the volume sound mix for the Blu-ray transfer. It is extremely high and dangerous for anyone who usually listens at reference settings on their receiver.
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• RobP
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

my wife picked this one up last week, cant wait to see it, I love vampire films.
                                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Miroku
                                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                                  I was referring more to the volume sound mix for the Blu-ray transfer. It is extremely high and dangerous for anyone who usually listens at reference settings on their receiver.
                                  I agree George. I think the sound mix on this disc has fallen victim to the recent trend of making everything really loud, instead of making things dynamic as they should be. There was a Rolling Stone article recently about the death of high fidelity, due to people only listening to music on ipods and crappy computer speakers so sound engineers are forced to make everything loud and exciting sounding.

Here's a link to that article, its a pretty good read.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

I went ahead and grabbed it on Blu-Ray today. Diana hasn't seen it yet probably watch it tonight or tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"