X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

WE ARE MARSHALL quite moving...

I love football films and have quite a few in my dvd collection, including this latest one starring Matthew McConaughey. Now this one actually had me teary eyed at times, probably because it is based on a true story.

For those who are not familiar with this movie, it concerns the trials and tribulations of a head coach ( McConaughey) trying to re-build a football team at Marshall University after the entire team and coaching staff are killed in a 1970 plane crash. He enlists the aid of a former assistant coach ( who wasn't on the plane that night ) played by Matthew Fox. Supporting roles include Davis Straithern as the University president and Ian McShane as the head honcho on the university board, and also the father of one of the popular players who was killed.

There are scenes in this film that are absolutely gut-wrenching, and there are scenes that make you want to cheer out loud. There isn't a lot of football because most of the attention is given over to finding players and rebuilding the team, and characterization, but when the camera is on the game, the picture and the audio rocks.

Highly recommended. :T
    My Homepage!
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

Thanks George - keep those reviews coming.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Huh... I had heard that it was only so-so. Good to hear!
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Thanks, George!
        I forgot about this one, and my wife loves stuff that is based on true stories.
        I just put in my Netflix queue
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"