X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Blood Diamond

If you've been putting off seeing this because you don't like DeCaprio, then I urge you to give it a spin because he really makes this film work. This is an excellent movie about diamonds and how they fuel the civil wars in Africa. This one will leave you thinking long after the credits fade. Powerful stuff and topnotch acting by all involved.

:4:
    My Homepage!
  • riceaterslc
    • Aug 2006

i agree! leo isn't really my favorite but his performance was a positive surprise. not to mention a very real and troubling plot...
    chris

Comment

• DSGCobra
      • Feb 2003

looking forward to this but waiting until May 22nd for the HD release.

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Yup, I agree. He did an excellent job in this movie. The movie was pretty good. I recommend it as a purchase.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by audioqueso
          I recommend it as a purchase.
          I'll second that :T
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Already on my Netflix list.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• saurabh
              • Feb 2005

I rented it but will not buy, since I dont think I would see it again.
              Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Watched it tonight and a solid 4 stars.

Great movie, deffinatly not a movie for kids.
                B&W

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Every once in a while, a film comes along that deals with human/political issues that just don't get the media coverage they deserve, and aren’t getting the attention from major world powers with the ability to effect change. Not to necessarily focus on the African continent, but 'Hotel Rwanda', is another example.

I have never been a fan of DiCaprio, but his last two, ‘The Departed’ and this one, have made me believe he may be developing into a true artist of his trade.

IMHO, this is Hollywood at its best. And hopefully, by its popularity, will bring such issues to the forefront of conversations, media attention, and most importantly, action, to quell such human atrocity that is too often denied, ignored, and swept under the table by First World nations in the pursuit of economic gain.

FIVE very big STARS.
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• greenhorn
                    • Feb 2007

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, but at some points it's a tough movie to watch. I'm not a big fan of violent movies, but in this one the violence is not just gratuitous, it's historical to a degree. I am now a big fan of Leo DiCaprio. It's been building for some time and in this movie I thought he was outstanding.

Samurai Dog's Opinion … Rent = Yes (A Must See)

Samurai Dog's Opinion … Purchase = Yes if your down with a (at times) heavy and violent movie.

Comment

• Danbry39
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by wkhanna

I have never been a fan of DiCaprio, but his last two, ‘The Departed’ and this one, have made me believe he may be developing into a true artist of his trade.

FIVE very big STARS.
                      Same here, but that's changing.

Haven't seen this one yet, but it's definitely on my list of movies to see.

Thanks for the reviews.

I heard the African actor is superb...true?
                      Keith

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Danbry39
                        Keith, I haven't seen Blood Diamond yet, but Djimon Hounsou is IMHO one of the better actors in cinema today. He's been nominated for two Oscars that I remember, and you probably know him as Juba, Maximus' one friend in Gladiator, or as Cinque, the leader of the mutiny/rebellion in Amistad, or as the leader of the hunting team (I don't remember his character's name :?? ) in The Island, or maybe as Midnight in Constantine. He keeps showing up in movies I enjoy, in roles I enjoy.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• WillyD
                          • Feb 2006

I saw this a while back, and I really enjoyed myself. Good flick! :T

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

Definitely superb. In fact he really steals the film.
                            My Homepage!

Comment

• gross30
                              • Jun 2005

Watched the movie last night, and it was very good. The acting was very good, and the story just as good. Kept you viewing throughout. Sure opens ones eyes on some of the problems in the world. :4:

Comment

• wkhanna
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                                I could not agree more, George!
                                I meant to mention this in my first post, but got sidetracked by my surprise of DeCaprio’s work.

Oscar quality, without a question.

One of the best performances I have seen in ages, IMHO. I hope he gets some good offers from this, cuz I want to see much more of him in quality films.
                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Danbry39
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Sep 2002

Just finished the film earlier this afternoon and have to agree with the general consensus. Djimon Hounsou is stunningly good, as stated and Leonardo adds another impressive role to his building resume. Also, Jennifer Connelly is establishing herself more and more as one of our best...imo.

The film itself depressed me much in the same way as The Killing Fields did when I first saw that. Just can't believe the horror that so many have to sadly live with as part of their existence, especially being pretty much powerless to protect your family. I count my blessings.
                                  Keith

Comment

• Club1820
                                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                                    He does a great job in every role I have seen him in.
                                    Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Club1820
                                      • Jan 2006

Just finished the film earlier this afternoon and have to agree with the general consensus. Djimon Hounsou is stunningly good, as stated and Leonardo adds another impressive role to his building resume. Also, Jennifer Connelly is establishing herself more and more as one of our best...imo.

The film itself depressed me much in the same way as The Killing Fields did when I first saw that. Just can't believe the horror that so many have to sadly live with as part of their existence, especially being pretty much powerless to protect your family. I count my blessings.
                                      I actually feel about the movie the way Jennifer Connelly's character describes her writing about the African Wars in the film. People will read it (see the movie), think about the situation, - and then move on. I just hope they really are banning these diamonds. Lord knows we wont stop buying them.
                                      Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• wkhanna
                                        • Jan 2006

The problem is knowing what diamonds come form this type of source. Debeers ultimately handles nearly every diamond that hits the retail market. You may be able get some sort of certificate that authenticates the diamond you purchase, but who has oversight of the source?
                                        You guessed it. Nobody but DeBeers, AFAIK.
                                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• DSGCobra
                                          • Feb 2003

Finally released on HD-DVD today, blind buy for me. Finished watching it a little while ago. Was completely blown away one of the better movies I have seen in a while. Well worth the wait for the HD-DVD the Dolby true HD and PQ was nothing short of amazing. With each new HD or Blu-ray they seem to out due themselves every time these new formats are amazing. I also must say I am more and more impressed with my new toy (Anthem D2) every day. ;x(

Comment

• Ovation
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Sep 2004

This is a powerful film and I intend to use excerpts from it in my Modern World History class when we get to contemporary Africa.

Comment

• cobbpa
                                              • Apr 2005

I'll also throw in that I loved this movie. For a while, I was questioning where it was going, what's the point, is this just one of those snapshot type movies (like Babel) that doesn't really find resolution...then the duo took off into the jungle. Man, those last 40 or so minutes are absolutely gripping! I haven't been that pulled into a movie in a long time.

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Dec 2005

Finally watched this last night on bluray. It was a powerful, hard hitting movie but with a great story. Without getting all sanctimonious, I've been to both Liberia and Sierra Leone in the past couple of years, and both are and not to put too fine a point on it, wrecked.

DiCaprio's accent was spot on with plenty of South African / Zimbabwean slang - I heard him say 'izzit' a couple of times - subtle but very smart! That might mean nothing to most, but it shows how much the guy practiced the accent.

A very good movie and while hard to watch at times, a realistic representation to the horror and corruption that exists in Africa.

BTW, there was a great selection of extras on the BDDVD.
                                                Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"