X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

Babel

Hello All,

This is worth a rental. But we to talk about the ending.
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • saurabh
    • Feb 2005

On my list
    Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• DSGCobra
      • Feb 2003

Kinda lost with this one, watched it last night. The HD-DVD picture quality was amazing. But on to the story, this really is nothing more than a move like Crash or Grand Canyon. A story about different people lives and the strange way they connect. Will require a re-watch.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Rented from Netflix tonight. Yes, definitely inspired by Crash and Magnolia. I started out liking it a lot more than I ended up in the end. There definitely are parts that are languished and overly drawn out, although they definitely seemed to be intended that way to give a slow, emotional, "artistic" pace to the film. I did like the attempts that the movie made, mostly successful, about showing humanity and exploring the human condition. I thought the Japanese link and direct effect was much weaker, though, not up to the standards of the rest of this film, nor "Crash" or "Magnolia" that it takes after.

However, I thought this one was a bit overly political. Not overt, but present, seemingly taking a very small stance on gun control, immigration, and American foreign policy primarily. I would have liked to have seen a 100% open, honest, transparent film about humanity and life, provoking thought and introspection in viewers. I think this movie tries to be this, but yet also tries to influence viewers in a particular direction on those topics.

Like I said, I started out a lot higher on my opinion on this film, but it settled. The ending downgraded it another half star for me. I settled on :3: out of :5:.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I liked CRASH but felt it was a film I would only want to watch once so I rented it only and was glad. I think this will also be the case with Babel and got a feeling my opinion of it will be similar to Chris D's.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Ah yes... in addition to slightly expressing opinions on those political topics I mentioned, I got the suspicion that the writer/director also has a penchant for Japanese schoolgirls.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• saurabh
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
              Ah yes... in addition to slightly expressing opinions on those political topics I mentioned, I got the suspicion that the writer/director also has a penchant for Japanese schoolgirls.
              I agree with your opinion in post #4 but this has made me :rofl:
              Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"