X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cobbpa
    • Apr 2005

Brick

Anyone else tried out this modern day, high school-based noir-type film? I really enjoyed it. It took me a while to understand each character's motivation (some don't fit into place until the end) and, as any review notes, the logistics & vocabularies of the characters seem a bit unrealistic, but that didn't keep me from loving it. I gave it a full 5 stars on Netflix, but that only came after watching it twice and being able to absorb how things were influenced the story.
  • WillyD
    • Feb 2006

Yeah, I thought it was garbage.

Glad you liked it though.

Comment

• cobbpa
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by WillyD
      Yeah, I thought it was garbage.

Glad you liked it though.
      Ha..same as one of my friends. Was it the overall concept & language that ruined it for you? Kinda curious

Comment

• WillyD
        • Feb 2006

I think it because I couldn't take it seriously. I definitely enjoy film noir, but this film just didn't do it for me. I felt nothing for any of the characters, which isn't a good thing. I also struggled to take the characters/plot seriously.

I wish I could think of something better to say, but it was a few weeks ago when I watched it, and I didn't exactly try to remember why I didn't like it. If I could describe it in one word though, it would be pretentious (which is not surprisingly, used by many in reviews).

Did that make any sense? I think if I was 15 again, I'd probably love it.

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

I got this from Netflix this week, and gave it a spin.

I don’t know how many of you get to really talk to highschool kids these days, but when I do, I am bowled over with how much more they know about how the world actually works than we did when I was their age. We were idealist and a bit naive, but many of the kids I talk to are realist, cynical and diversely well read. So for me, the complexity and vocabulary were not all that far fetched. The slang on the other hand, required two viewings, as did rooting out some of plots finer details and character development.

Definitely a noir sleuth, characters were raw with realistic emotion and motive-driven. Edited with a timing that gave a sense of realism, in the same way ‘Blue Velvet’ made you feel like lived through the film and didn’t just spend time watching it. Acting was superb, and sound editing was noticeably involving and at the same time transparent.

I’m sure this is not the type of film most would enjoy, but for me, it’s a four and halfer.
          I’ll pick it up used, the first time I see it.
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
            • Aug 2001

We watched this quite a while ago, I found it silly. The main kid's jive-talkin' sounded dopey, and the scene where that guy's gimping across the parking lot for a full minute had me howling.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"