X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

The Lakehouse

This is a movie I would place mostly in the "romance" category. Saw it yesterday in a free theater (long story) and enjoyed it. Stars Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves as two people that live in a house on a lake (didn't see that one coming, did ya?) at different times. There's a mysteriously magical mailbox that allows them to send letters to each other, even though they live at different times in history.

Part of the story/resolution I saw coming and was predictable. Part was not. As a big warning, there's plot points in the movie that you just have to accept at face value and not over-analyze, or you'll just find yourself thinking "well, there's no WAY that could happen." But... then you find yourself realizing that yes, you're watching a movie about a magical mailbox to begin with.

Whether the lead actors in the movie are compelling in the romantic role is debatable, but not horrible, I thought. Good point to the movie about "waiting for love."

Overall, I did really like the movie, was very moved by parts of it, and very much enjoyed it. Definitely worth a rental, especially with a special someone on date night.

:4: out of :5:
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I hope to rent it this weekend, Chris and watch it with my someone special. I was aware of the plot problem thing from film reviews when it was in theaters but that won't bother me.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Wife and I watched it last night. Totally agree with Chris on this one. The only thing I felt was needed was the reappearance of the dog at the conclusion. After all, the dog did play a key role in the plot.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• DelRay
        • Jun 2004

Watched it today. I liked it too. Nice movie for the wife and I. I also agree about the dog, George. Afterall, she was sort of link between the 2. :T

Comment

• Gump
          • Sep 2005

Just watched this one lastnight, man am I behind the times! Well, it was new to me!
          The only reason I'm bringing it up now is that I really enjoyed it. Anyone else that hasn't seen it and is in the mood for a romantic type of movie should give it a chance. The future/past twist makes it unique and different which I found enjoyable.

Kinda reminded me of another romantic movie, "Return to Me", that had a bit of a twist that I liked. (Starred David Duchovny, Minnie Driver, and Carroll O'Conner).

Grade: B-

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"