X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gump
    • Sep 2005

Lucky #Slevin

I was in the movie store yesterday and couldn't remember the name of the DVD I was looking for...alzheimers setting in already and I'm still in my 40's.

At any rate I asked the guy working in the store to recommend a movie and without hesitation he handed me "Lucky #Slevin". I had never heard of it. He raved about it and actually said it was one of the best movies he'd seen all year. I'm not sure I'd go that far but it is very good.

The plot is OK and the script/dialogue excellent. But what makes the movie is the acting which is stellar. Bruce Willis and Morgan Freeman are great as always. Josh Hartnett and Lucy Liu are excellent. Sir Ben Kingsley does an outstanding job.

It's a thriller about a hitman so there is some extreme violence.

Pretty good movie, great script, outstanding cast.

B+ :T
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I was looking forward to this one so good to hear it's up to snuff :T Plus Lucy = yummy :P
    Jason

Comment

• nikos
      • Dec 2005

it was just ok for me....

didnt live up to my expectations.

C+
      Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• saurabh
        • Feb 2005

I presume its an action movie, Howz the SQ and PQ, does the sound make the room rumble ????
        Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• Gump
          • Sep 2005

This film probably isn't for everyone. There is some pretty harsh violence in it and it's filmed in a choppy, flash backward then back to the present ala Quentin Tarantino-ish sort of style. If you liked Pulp Fiction/Resevoir Dogs you'll probably like this movie too. (before I get lit up, I'm not saying it's as good as those movies I'm just comparing GENERAL styles). Most people either loved or hated those movies----different strokes!

Once again the story was pretty good (not necessarily great), although you do have to pay attention to the how the story unfolds or your going to be lost when they reveal the "twist" towards the end. If you have to re-fill your popcorn bowl I suggest hitting the pause button.

But the strength of the movie for me was the clever banter and dialogue between these great actors. You could tell they were really enjoying their characters and got into their roles with this script. I'll probably watch it again because I'm sure I missed a witty line or two.

PQ was OK, SQ was good. A couple of shots from a gun with a silencer attached went off and made me jump. But it's not really an "action" movie, no car chases or extended gun battles so those weren't huge issues.

Just an enjoyable well acted movie.

I'm sticking with my solid B+!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Yeah from what I've read about it, I would say it is in the Pulp Fiction mould. I plan on adding it to my collection as soon as it becomes availavle as previously viewed.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Alloroc
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

Hi,

I enjoyed this one too. Watched it with a buddy on his new system - in Stereo! (First timer - went out and got a nice Yamaha reciever and a pair of B&W 704s to get started). Anyhow - it was not one that the wife would watch - the violence was probably more Res Dogs than Pulp Fiction imo - just that bit more menacing and focused is probably the best way to put it!

Anyhow, I thought it was quite clever, but in a 'it's been done already' kind of way. Not one to buy - unless cheap but a good rental.

I'm not sure if it's been posted already and if not I'll pop it up in a seperate thread but my fav. Bruce Willis movie this year has got to be 16 Blocks. That was a great thriller....

V.
              Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Alloroc
                but my fav. Bruce Willis movie this year has got to be 16 Blocks. That was a great thriller....

V.
                Agreed, Vincent.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• fauzigarib
                  • Aug 2006

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                  Agreed, Vincent.
                  Hey, is it just me or has Willis been doing the same role since Die Hard? The same, down and out (cop / ... well, now that I think about it, there is no slash.. he almost always plays a cop!), hard on his luck, recently separated / divorced from his wife / lover, latching onto a past along with holding onto his bottle. He's sick of life, and if he had the time and was sober enough, he would blow his brains out.

Talk about type-casting...

Fauzi

Comment

• saurabh
                    • Feb 2005

Saw it, its kinda talk talk talk movie, mostly Drama and moves at a slow pace initially, not my kinda movie.
                    Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by fauzigarib
                      Hey, is it just me or has Willis been doing the same role since Die Hard? The same, down and out (cop / ... well, now that I think about it, there is no slash.. he almost always plays a cop!), hard on his luck, recently separated / divorced from his wife / lover, latching onto a past along with holding onto his bottle. He's sick of life, and if he had the time and was sober enough, he would blow his brains out.

Talk about type-casting...

Fauzi
                      Fauzi, the character Willis plays in 16 Blocks couldn't be more different than the one he played in Die Hard. In 16 Blocks the character is much more realistically conceived, and he doesn't save the world: far from it.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Just finished it, and loved it.
                        Although I called out who slevin was from the begining, they didnt give it away, you just knew..
                        B&W

Comment

• John Holmes
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I watched this over the weekend. Pretty good film. As stated, the acting in this film is very solid. With a fantastic interaction of dialogue between characters. Yes the story has been done but, it's how the story is revealed that is the fun part of this ride.
                          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by John Holmes
                            it's how the story is revealed that is the fun part of this ride.
                            Exactly :T
                            B&W

Comment

• Azeke
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2003

I agree, I enjoyed this movie, not top notch, but certainly entertaining, an acquired taste in film.

Perhaps these reviews maybe part of the Kansas City Shuffle 8) .

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"