X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Wicker Man, The Sentinel, and Akeelah

These were the three films I rented for this three day weekend.

I'll start with the Sentinel. This film didn't really do it for me. It's okay, but I didn't get nearly as much of a rise out of it as I do from the series 24, although Kiefer Sutherland plays a similar type role to that series. Just seemed kind of typical of the political suspense genre and I was bored with the feigned passion between Michael Douglas and Kim Basinger.

I got The Wicker Man because all the reviews I read and heard said it was a weak remake of the original. Only after watching the extra (very recommended, but only after watching the film) documenting such things as the extraordinary problems the original had with release and distribution did I understand how I missed it first time around. This isn't the type horror/suspense movie for those looking for a lot of blood, gore, and pop out of the shadows terror, but rather a surrealistic, nightmarish visit to an island ruled by pagan ritual and immersed in fertility rites. More eerie in effect, but I thought it was a one-of-a-kind and excellent cinematic experience. Christopher Lee believed in the film so much that he waived his salary and, at a much later time, proclaimed it the best film he'd ever been in, although I'm not sure if that statement was made before his involvement in The Lord of the Rings. Oh, and it contains more than a fair share of nudity.

Akeelah and the Bee is just a wonderful family film. My wife and I just sat there replaying certain scenes over and over. It's about a girl from South Central LA entering the national spelling bee competition. Yeah, I know the subject matter doesn't sound all that interesting, but, what can I say, this film brought as big a smile to my face as any DVD I've watched all summer. It reunites Laurence Fishburne and Angela Bassett for the first time since What's Love Got To Do With It, but Keke Palmer, who plays the part of the 11 year old Akeelah steals the show. Excellent acting all around and characters that have real depth to them. Like Wicker Man, you get the feeling that it is a labor of love type thing.
    Keith
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Keith , the remake of the original 1974 Wicker Man is still in theaters. Did you mean to say you went to see the remake at the theater, rather than renting the dvd ?

Anyway, it would be pretty hard to beat the original so I don't expect I will see the remake when it does come to dvd.

Re: The Sentinel. I was looking forward to seeing it, but after your comments I'm not sure if I will even bother to rent now.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

Definitely the original.

As for The Sentinel, it's okay, but it would have been no great loss to never have seen it.

Now, as for the other two movies, I would have missed out on something to have never viewed them.
      Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Watched The Sentinel over the weekend. I actually enjoyed it, but it is one of those films that after seeing it once you wouldn't enjoy it a second time around.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

Glad you enjoyed it, George. It might have been a case of too high expectations on my part or, maybe, comparing it too much to...I'm forgetting the name...the movie where Clint Eastwood was assigned to protect the president, which I loved.
          Keith

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Danbry39
            Glad you enjoyed it, George. It might have been a case of too high expectations on my part or, maybe, comparing it too much to...I'm forgetting the name...the movie where Clint Eastwood was assigned to protect the president, which I loved.
            In the Line of Fire
            Danish

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

Ding, ding, ding...................

And we got a winner.

Danke, dyazdani. I, for the life of me, couldn't remember...
              Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Yes, Keith, In The Line Of Fire was top notch, and one I have watched many times. That in itself is the difference between it and The Sentinel. One is rewatchable, the other isn't.
                My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"