X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

ULTRAMAN-Live Action

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000FKO42K/ref=dp_image_text_0/104-4932042-9975148?ie=UTF8&n=130&s=dvd

I cannot believe it has finally made it to the US.

This 3 disc box set, contains the first 20 episodes of the original 1966 live action tv show. Re-mastered with stereo and very good color saturation. The video of each disc, looks just as I recall the tv series looking when presented in the 60's. Which was/is good. Of course, the difference being, in 1966 my family's 19 or 25 inch console RCA could not allow me to see the flaws that my current 2005 56" HDTV RCA can! :B The sound is bad. There is audible noise and 1second drop outs of audio here and there. Also, it switches from english to japanese for brief instances without warning.

The first set I purchased gave me a major dissapointment right from the start. Disc one would not load in my DVD player. Disc 2 and 3 played fine. After I exchanged sets, the new disc played fine.

None the less, this has be a long time coming. And I for one am very glad that the wait is over. I can live with the sub-par sound. I just hope they get it right down the road.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

Hmm...wonder if there is a Jonny Sokko DVD out there...

NetFlix doesn't have it as of yet.

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

When I go to Tokyo (several times a year) and am on the prowl for Godzilla toys for the kid, I always end up finding 20-30X as much Ultraman stuff. They have a Bandai toy of every monster he ever fought, and his 30 some odd member extended ultra family. Brings back memories.

Also, he's featured at the Bandai museum over there, along with Gundam and Godzilla stuff. Got some pix from it when the family came over on spring break.

BB
      Attached Files

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Wow Ultraman, nice find John. Boy are we time stamping ourselves.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I missed out on this one. Not familiar with it at all. :nonod:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by junior77blue
            Hmm...wonder if there is a Jonny Sokko DVD out there...

NetFlix doesn't have it as of yet.
            I too am waiting for Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot. As well a a few others from that era. But, at the rate it took them to get something as popular a Ultraman to us, I feel I'll be dead and buried before it happens. :B

Azeke,

Thank you sir. I was shocked to see it on the shelf in Wal-Mart two days ago as, I wasn't suppose to be in the electronics section anyway. :rofl: Btw, wally world has the highest price I've seen for it. I got mine from Best Buys for quite a bit less but, it's even cheaper online. I just couldn't wait another day to get it in my home.

Brandon B,

That is really cool! I'm sure you have a blast browsing all the cool stuff. Your children are lucky to have you as a father in more ways than one. :T

David,

How could you have missed the Ultraman era??? Speed Racer would play just after it in my area. Well, it was broadcasted through TBS so maybe it was more regional then. I know that the east coast was flooded with it. Netflix has it so, maybe you could find it as a rental somewhere (don't know if you are with netflix).
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Brandon B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2001

And don't forget Marine Boy and Kimba, and Tobor the 8 man. All Japanese influence on my childhood.

BB

Comment

• Alaric
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Ultraman?Kimba?Speed Racer? Oh , Dear God-I'M OLD!!!!! :thud: Those shows really bring back the memories.....if my memory still worked.......
                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                Schiit Modi 3
                Marantz CD5005
                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• ifeliciano
                  • Aug 2006

OMG....Not old....Mature ! :B

Comment

• june
                    • Feb 2005

Prince Planet?

Hello All,

Anyone remember "PRINCE PLANET?" Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
                    June
                    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Azeke
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by june
                      Hello All,

Anyone remember "PRINCE PLANET?" Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
                      June,

You mean Prince Planet" aka Usei Shonen Papi (Planet Boy Papi) in Japan.

Nope, never heard of it, .

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• John Holmes
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Brandon B
                        And don't forget Marine Boy and Kimba, and Tobor the 8 man. All Japanese influence on my childhood.

BB
                        Ah yes, I recall all of them. Marine Boy is one that a lot of people don't know about from that time period. It was one of my favorites. The Space Giants, Johnny Cypher in Dimension Zero. And don't even get me started on Kimba...when the big rave was going on about "The Lion King" I had to laugh since, I was watching it 30 some yrs before!!! :B

ifeliciano,

Cool site! I recall most of the shows on that list.

june,

I most certainly remember Prince Planet! He was Part of the line-up that was shown on the "Wee Willie Webber Show" on channel 17 in Philadelphia. If memory serves, Astro Boy, Marine Boy, Ultraman, Speed Racer, Kimba, The Space Giants (Who can forget Gam the rocket boy) and Tobor the 8th Man were part of that block of after school programs. Boy...those were the days.

And yes, we are all telling our true age in this thread! :lol: :thanku:

Comment

• june
                          • Feb 2005

WOW!

The Wee Willie Webber Show. We are getting old.
                          June
                          "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Brandon B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jun 2001

Of those, I have only bought Speed Racer on DVD, so far three sets. My kid loves them as much as me. He recently used his own money to buy this.

BB

Comment

• wkhanna
                              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

OK. I’ll fess up. I too, have two Speed Racer DVD’s, and a Speed Racer tie my daughter gave to me for X-mas years ago that I actually wear.

And yes, we used to play Ultra Man in the back yard.

God it feels so good to come clean!

Come to think about it, this site is saving me a bundle on therapy sessions $$!$!!$!$!
                              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Brandon B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jun 2001

OK some fun background I learned recently. In Japan, the show was called mah ha go go, and Speed's name was Go Mifune. Hence the "G" on his shirt. Go is also the Japanese word for "5". His dad's shop was Mifune Motors. Hence the M on the Mach 5's hood. The initial on trixie's shirt was also for her first name, but I have forgotten her name already (see the age thread in After Midnight forum for why ).

BB

Comment

• John Holmes
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

You know Brandon, I kid you not, I have always wondered about those exact questions you just answered!!! Nice to have the info after all these years. 8)

Now, if someone could just answer why Ultraman (who has all this super power and strength) can't fight for more than 20 seconds before his warning light begins to blink? I would be in hog heaven. :B :rofl:

Comment

• Brandon B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jun 2001

BTW, the fifth and final release of Speed Racer DVD sets is slated for Halloween release for under $20. Completes te series on DVD.

BB

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"