• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Hustle and Flow

Really liked this movie!

This is a story about a pimp in inner city Nashville, who aspires to be a rapper and scraps by to pursue his dreams. Sound like a not-so-great story? It actually was very good. This movie has received a lot of good reviews out there.

Don't get me wrong, this is a dirty, gritty story about inner-city life that goes well over the wrong side of law and ethics. But what I liked about the movie is the STORY, which is focused on a man and his inspiration to improve himself. This movie could have so easily degraded into a flick designed to just expouse how bad life is in "the hood", with obligatory scenes of sex and drugs. As I mentioned, the themes are there, but the producers really never show a true drug-den scene, nor take advantage of the temptation to show the sexual actions of the character's prostitutes.

Being a middle class white guy that isn't even into rap, I really liked the movie, and liked the perspective it's told from, as well as the life, blood, sweat, and tears that the characters put into their music, which I also liked. (although not necessarily the specific lyrics, which I really can't relate to at all)

I'm going to give it :4: out of :5:
    Last edited by Chris D; 06 May 2006, 18:40 Saturday.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Ive heard good things about it, and have probably picked it up and set it back more then a few times.
    One of these days I will buy it.
    B&W

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Hustel and Flow was one of the surprises (to me) of the past year in movies. I didn't really expect to like it very much, and ended up enjoying it a lot. I concur with Chris's comments -- although the subject matter may seem rather low brow (OK, more than just "seem" -- the pimps and 'ho's depicted are not anywhere near the mainstream of society and the "work" they do on a daily basis is not classy), the underlying message is uplifting and the whole effort was amazingly well done. It was easily among the best five movies I saw last year.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• H.Donald
        • Aug 2004

My wife and I watched this movie recently...and like you guys our expectations were very low.In fact we started out by saying,we would give it a half an hour.
        But,we absolutely loved it....actually,I don't know if it's the kind of movie that is supposed to be loved.It is gritty,raw and probably far too real.Both my wife and myself have worked jobs in the inner city where I am sure some of the characters from the movie crossed our path.
        It matters not if you are,or are not,into rap music...it could have been country music for that matter.The story is the thing....

It is a story of survival,overcoming and redemption...in that regards,it reminds me of the ShawShank Redemption.

Funny,now two of my favorite movies have characters who I never thought I would be sympathetic to....inmates and pimps.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Couldn't agree more with everyone here, this is one heckuva film with some fine acting by the main character.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Nick M
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

I kinda side-stepped this one, by I might give it a shot now.
            ~Nick

Comment

• drsiebling
              • Jan 2006

I'm in total agreement. Hustle and Flow was phenominal. Terrence Howard is just a fantastic actor. It's very interesting to compare his perfomance in Crash to his performance in Hustle and Flow... he is VERY versitile.

Comment

• FlashJim
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by drsiebling
                I'm in total agreement. Hustle and Flow was phenominal. Terrence Howard is just a fantastic actor. It's very interesting to compare his perfomance in Crash to his performance in Hustle and Flow... he is VERY versitile.
                Terrence is one of my favorite actors. He's been quietly working for years. I think he's about to get absolutely huge.
                Jim

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"