X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Morally confused.....

I think this forum is the most appropriate place for this question but if not, Mods please let me know.

Ok, so a buddy of mine returned from a trip to Hong Kong and presented me with a stack of ripped DVDs - Movies and TV shows. Some of which have not even made the big screen yet and/or finished the run on TV in the US.

Movies like Jarhead, Munich, Chicken Little, Good Night and Good Luck, The Matador, King Kong to name a few and wait for it, the entire 2nd season of Lost - all of them, even the ones that have not yet aired in the US.

Christ knows how they were originally obtained, and I can assure you I'm not one for pirated media - I do enjoy the pleasure of owning the original..... But these, I'm informed by my less scrupulous chum are all perfect - He's a HT geek too so he'd know. Not handycam copies from a cinema. Perfect, pirate copies from pre-release DVDs or what ever. He bought them for 50c a disk. 8O

I'm really, really tempted to watch, particulary Lost - we're only on episode 4 of season 2 here right now......

I need some advise! I know it's theft. It still doesn't remove the temptation....

V.
    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Vincent, I understand about the temptation as I'm into home theater so that I can enjoy the movies I love in a high quality format. It's having the movies that make this fun. Many other DVD'ers probably feel the urge too, but DON'T DO IT.

I'm firmly in the zero-tolerance anti-piracy camp for many reasons. One big one being that we constantly have to endure new transmission formats (DVI, HDMI, etc.) because the studios insist upon them to fight piracy. Each new format forces our existing equipment into obsolescence, forcing us to pony up even more money for the latest hardware so that we can enjoy the highest quality images and sound. There are other reasons just as important but that one really chaps me. Grrrrr.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Oscar Wilde said "the best way to do away with temptaion is to yield to it". But he never met the RIAA and the MPAA or their Irish equivalents. Have you considered taking up skeet? That'd be a legal way to use those disks (at a properly licensed range, of course.) :>)

Each new format forces our existing equipment into obsolescence, forcing us to pony up even more money for the latest hardware so that we can enjoy the highest quality images and sound.
      That's a major risk of being a pioneer, or an early Pioneer owner, huh, David?

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Vincent, I wholeheartedly agree with Tex Meek and Burke Strickland. Please don't do anything to encourage pirating. No matter how you look at it, or what you tell yourself, it is outright theft.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Alloroc
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
          Vincent, I wholeheartedly agree with Tex Meek and Burke Strickland. Please don't do anything to encourage pirating. No matter how you look at it, or what you tell yourself, it is outright theft.
          Disks gone. Handed back. Funny thing is, I'm with you guys. I'm always the first one discourage piracy - in any form, but I can promise you this, when you're presented with a huge stack of disks like that and there's stuff there that's not even out, it really does mess with you - 40 days and 40 nights territory with Old Nick poking you in the eye with a copy of Syriana :evil: ...

Anyhow, safe from further acts of moral turpitude, I wait with anticipation for all movies mentioned.....

Thanks to all.
          Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

Resistance to temptation is a strength one can not undervalue.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Good for you, Vincent. :T
              My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

All right, Vincent! :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
                  • Aug 2004

Those disk from HK or China suck anyways, just a waste of $$$$ and your time, when it says DTS on the cover it actually was ripped to a 2 channel mode, so they could save the space but still why would i wan't to hear a Chinese pirate laughing while I watch and the video quality just plain sucks.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"