What do Peter Frampton and Resident Evil Have in Common?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adz
    • Jan 2004

What do Peter Frampton and Resident Evil Have in Common?

I find myself always in search of that truly reference sound quality DVD. Even if I may not be particularly interested in the subject matter, I can find myself sitting there in my free time watching it over and over because it sounds sooo damn good - I guess that's some sort of sickness - if someone has a name for it (without being sarcastic, funny is ok), I'd like to know.

Anyone, I did a search on a DVD Website setting their highest sound quality rating as my only search parameter - it turned up about 65 DVDs (not surprisingly almost all were DTS 6.1 or DDEX). Two I was not familar with which I'd like to know if anyone has heard is Peter Frampton-Live in Detroit, and Resident Evil (Superbit Version). I am familar with Resident Evil in general, but not the Superbit version. Again, not a Peter Frampton fan, per se, but the actual review is so 'over the top' impressive that it has me extremely interested (although I say this with some apprehension as the review is from June 2000).

Thanks,
    Last edited by Adz; 26 February 2005, 16:56 Saturday.
    Adz
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I own the regular DD 5.1 dvd of RESIDENT EVIL. I imagine the Superbit version with its DTS track would certainly be better.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• NMyTree
      • May 2004

" What do Peter Frampton and Resident Evil Have in Common? "

Frampton looks like a zombie, and Resident Evil has a whole bunch of the undead? :B
      Tony

Comment

• Bob D207
        • Jun 2001

I also was so impressed with the Frampton reviews that i picked it up and what an awesome disc. I had no idea what a great guitarist he is plus his band is tight - excellent blues and the keybords are exceptional

Comment

• Adz
          • Jan 2004

I can report back that the Frampton DTS DVD Concert is very good, but Clapton's concert DVD is still at least one notch better and remains the reigning concert DTS DVD in my opinion.

Now Resident Evil (DTS Superbit) is another story. First off, it is a very exciting movie from beginning to end. But and I'm sure most know, that is one of the most intense surround sound movies I have ever listened to. And I've tried to seek them all out. I''ll go so far as to easily put it up there with the top 5 movies on my list and is one of the better if not best Superbit sonic presentations there is. From beginning to end, there is unbelieveable aggressive use of the surrounds and the LFE effects do not quit -- similar to Daredevil DTS, in just simple dialogue the background contains the rumbling foreboding effects that you feel not necessarily hear (I can't wait until my dual 18" inch subs are completed - this will be my first movie I put in for sure). Even if you are running your speakers as large - watch out but its worth it !! I switched to small and noticed a more than noticeable drop off in all around sonic intensity. I think that's it for now!
          Adz

Comment

• Dean McManis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • May 2003

I had first seen the Peter Frampton concert as one of the early HDTV broadcasts (in DD 5.1), and it looked excellent and sounded very good.
            So with a quality HD master, I figured that the DVD would be great too, and it was.

Interestingly, I setup the DVD to play simultaneously with the HD broadcast and compared the two (A/B). Predictably, the HD video was better quality, but the DVD was still very good looking. However, it did surprise me how I could clearly hear the improved audio quality on the DVD.

I have about a dozen concert videos on DVD and it's amazing the variation in both picture and sound quality from disc to disc, with some being real stinkers (VHS mastered, mono). But the Frampton concert DVD is one of the best ones that I have. :T

I haven't seen Resident Evil, so I can't comment about it.

Comment

• Adz
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dean McManis
              I have about a dozen concert videos on DVD and it's amazing the variation in both picture and sound quality from disc to disc, with some being real stinkers (VHS mastered, mono). But the Frampton concert DVD is one of the best ones that I have. :T
              Isn't it amazing though? -- There are rows and rows of concert videos out there on DVD on the shelves - post DTS/DD 5.1 era, and literally only a handful sound good (most of those recorded in DTS like the Eagles, Frampton, Clapton; AC/DC, Cyndi Lauper and James Taylor are also exceptional). Why can't they all sound as good? Is it simply the cost to get to reference quality level that is too prohibitive for some productions??? Very depressing.
              Adz

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"