X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

CARLITO'S WAY - Rise To Power

Rented this over the weekend. Don't recall seeing it listed at any of the theaters in these parts back when it had its theaterical release so I guess it didn't do that well boxoffice-wise. As for me, well I thought it was pretty well done for a prequel. Jay Hernandez plays the younger Carlito, and though he is no Al Pacino, he does do a pretty good job with the character.

The story reflects Carlito's beginnings as he claws his way to the top of the gangster heap in Harlem. You like Carlito, but even though it is only touched on briefly, this guy made it on the backs of all those poor dope addicts, so you can like him but also be apalled at how he made his living.

It's a typical gangster film so violence is plenty and sometimes graphic. Pdiddy plays a kingpin ( he is a pretty good actor) and Mario Peebles is one of Carlito's partners in crime. Burt Young is a nasty Mafia daddy and he is downright scary when he goes from being kind and friendly to a point where he jams a gun up your nose.

It doesn't quite come across as well as the original Carlito's Way, but all in all it was a decent evening's entertainment if you like this type of film.

:3: out of five.
    My Homepage!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hmmm, a "package buy" with the new release of Carlito's Way: SE? Hmmm.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

I seen the trailer for this in the Interpreter DVD I rented last night. It was the first I had heard of it.

I was pumped after seeing the trailer.... I don;t remeber the original that well, however I have always been excited with ganster flicks.
      Bing

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"