• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick M
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Crash

Rented it.

Incredible film. Fantastic casting, music, cinematography, you name it. Not much else to say except that it's a must rent, and I plan to buy it.

:4: out of :5: ... very close to 4.5

A tie with Cinderella Man for my two favorite films of the year thus far.
    ~Nick
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I've been waiting for this one, but I wasn't aware it had been released as yet.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Not really familiar with this one.... have I been under a rock and not even known...? :scratchhead:

Well I guess with a review like that I'll have to find out what it's all about!
      Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

Crash is a sociological movie that involves race as a backdrop. Don't go into this expecting an action movie or for that matter a brain dump. You'll be drastically dissapointed if that's the case. This really is a thinking mans film with incredible performances. I plan to rent it but these were the comments I was shared by my friends whom have seen the movie.

It wasn't a huge hit so I can see how folks might have missed this one. This is not a typical mainstream type film. It came out around Mid May.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

It's definitely on my "must see" list. I'm going to rent it and if I feel it has a high re-watchability quotient for me, I will buy it. They don't make enough of this type of film anymore.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Watched it last night. This is one powerful film. It doesn't have a plot in the normal sense, rather a story thread that connects a group of characters with several incidents. Sort of like a bunch of slice of life episodes. As Shane mentioned, race plays a large role, as does irony and pathos. This is the kind of film that should get Oscar recognition, but probably won't. The stars that are in this film such as Sandra Bullock, Don Cheadle, Matt Dillon, Ryan Philippe, etc., were not in this for the money because this is obviously a small film with a small budget. No doubt it was the opportunity to sink their teeth into strong material that attracted them. In fact, if you blink too often, you may even miss Sandra Bullock. But what little we do see of her is powerful.

I rented this, but like Nick, I really feel I would like to watch this again, so I just may buy it. Top notch PQ and excellent soundtrack with music that really fits the mood of the film. :5: out of 5 and I don't hand out perfect scores that often.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• ht_addict
              • Dec 2002

Just watched this one today after having it sit downstairs for over a week. Thanks god for BB no late fee's. Excellent movie. Definetly worth the purchase. For all you canucks, Blockbuster has it for $17.99, and if your an awards member you get another $1 off.

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

I concur a very powerful and emotional film, 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. I really felt for the characters in this one. I'll have to purchase this one for my library.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

Rented & watched this last night and was very moved by it. It left me wondering and thinking about a lot of things.

At times I thought some of the chance encounters were a bit contrived, however it was necessary, I suppose, to weave the lives and present the thought provoking aspects the Film was aiming at.

Sandra's performance was excellent, and so believable. I actually had to see and play the lock scene over at the end, as well as a few others.

I found this movie very compelling. I was always excited to see where each segment would take us, or how it would all play out.

:4:
                  Bing

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

I rented it this weekend. I liked it! Reminded me a lot of "Magnolia", the way it weaves characters' lives in and out together.

Definitely hit on some powerful subject matter, and the one very crucial scene towards the end with the store owner and locksmith got me in tears.

For me, I'm glad I didn't buy it, but it was ABSOLUTELY worth the rental and seeing. Would have been worth seeing in the theaters, too.
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                      • Jan 2002

Wow!... I guess I'll be the odd man out here. I rented and watched this movie by myself a week or so ago, which I'm sorta glad I did because I don't know if I would want my family watching it. While it had its interesting scenes and a fine cast, for the most part it was depressing to me. I honestly believe the writer/director may have been trying to provoke racism with this movie. It was if we have no idea of what goes on in the world and most assuredly it is not this way everywhere. Otherwise, I'm not sure what the plot was... or maybe I'm just that ignorant.

It will certainly be one I'll forget about very quickly.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

No, Sonnie, you're not ignorant. This kind of movie isn't the normal so-called "plot" type of film. It is all about character, and cause and effect that create a few happenings that tie all the characters together. I call them slice of life films . As for the director "trying to provoke racism": I think he was just showing life as it is, unfortunately. It may not be that way everywhere, but I certainly have seen enough of it during my 69 years on this ol' planet. And I would certainly agree that this is not a family type film.
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                          • Jan 2002

I guess I've had a sheltered life in these little small towns I've always lived in. After all this movie was filmed in a big city where I suppose there would be more of these types of racial events going on. He zeroed in on them well.

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

Still have to watch this.... It's sitting at home, now I just need the time!
                            Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Sonnie Parker
                              I guess I've had a sheltered life in these little small towns I've always lived in. After all this movie was filmed in a big city where I suppose there would be more of these types of racial events going on. He zeroed in on them well.
                              Yeah, the larger the population, the more likely racism will occur, that's for sure. I lived in large population cities the first half of my life and in smaller communities from there on in. Today I live in an area made up of 5 towns with a population of about 40,000 and there isn't much in the way of racial problems, thank God.
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Now that's interesting. I'd have said it the other way around George. Maybe it's a geographic issue, but (IMO) Houston's one of the more un-racial cities around. The racial percentages for whites, blacks, Hispanics, Eurasians, etc are much more evenly distributed here than in most places. But, a few of the small towns - especially to the East of us - are STILL very racially divided. Sorry, I took us further OT.

Back to the movies....

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2001

There's probably some differences between the US and Canadian big cities, but in Canada, at least, there is a lot of racial stuff going on in places like Toronto, Vancouver, Halifax, etc., and much of it is visible in the police ranks, which is really a shame. In smaller communities, at least in Nova Scotia, you see very little obvious racism, but it still lurks there.
                                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                    • Jan 2002

I've never lived anywhere that racism was as evident as it was in Crash. Sure, I know individuals who are prejudice and racist, but it is not near as blatant as the movie would have you think.

We all get along really well in the small towns I am associated with, being Luverne and Troy and several of the other small towns in southeast Alabama. We have our typical occasional big scene of something wierd happening, but it's not too often, thankfully.

Comment

• Nick M
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2004

I found LA to be the worst place I visited in the continental US. Towards the end of my daylong visit, I stopped for gas and saw a screaming match between a southeast asian guy and an Indian lady running the place. Both were screaming in different languages... :rofl: I didn't speak either language, but I could tell some of those words weren't nice ones! :B

Thankfully I was paying via debit card, and just left (making sure the transaction went through so I wouldn't get shot up by the cops!).. looking for Interstate 10 to get the %$#@ out of that city. It's the nastiest sprawl I've ever been too. With the nearly unchecked illegal immigration from all over the world, diversity of people (and languages), heat/smog, and LAPD I can easily see why the place is the way it is.

To me this film was about the underlying humanity that supersedes all of our differences. It was both depressing and uplifting for me, even humorous in a few spots.
                                      ~Nick

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                        • Jan 2002

You know... I may not forget this film as quick as I thought I would... lol

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Sonnie Parker
                                          You know... I may not forget this film as quick as I thought I would... lol
                                          Maybe not, Sonnie, my son.
                                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Foxman
                                            • Jan 2003

This was my first Netflix viewing and it sort of reminded me of Grand Canyon. I prefered that movie to comparing it to Magnolia which I thought was horrible.

This is one of the more powerful movies I have seen in a while. The scene that the Iraqi has his confrontation resulted in me jumping and squeeling like a little girl.

Fabulous movie.

My wife doesnt like movies like this but she gave it a 3 out of 5, I am giving 5 of 5. :T
                                            IMO

My Movies
                                            Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• H.Donald
                                              • Aug 2004

I watched it recently also...and yes,it stayed with me for a while.As a movie 5 stars...and I also found it pretty true to life.I have lived in the big city and now in a small town....the people portrayed in the film,I have met all of them.Not on the same day,but they are everywhere....the good ones and the not so good ones.

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                                                • May 2004

Say it last night. Not bad, but did not stay with me as much as I thought it would. It seemed as thought the scenes wer smashed together to try to make a point that became cliche. The racist cop is forced to redeem himself in a situation of unbelievable odds. The non-racist cop immediatly gets the racist fear and acts impulsivly. etc... Too perfect and predictable IMHO. Acting was very good.

I felt Magnolia was a better film with even better acting.

Comment

• aud19
                                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2003

Good movie, definitely did what it set out to do :E :T

The most impactful scene for me was probably the one with the locksmith, his daughter and the shop owner. I'm sure you know what scene I'm talking about! I was near yelling at the TV! :lol: That and the scene with Don Cheadle and his mother at then end

Great movie though 4.5 out of 5. Haspretty good PQ/SQ too
                                                  Jason

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"