Frankendella's (Cinderella's + M3N & SD270-88)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • technodanvan
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

Frankendella's (Cinderella's + M3N & SD270-88)

Don't post much here, but what with the lowered price of the Dayton SD270-88 10" subwoofer I figured I should throw it up. Plus Curt has been very helpful so I'd hate to not show off a little more of what he has done! Plus, like, Halloween and stuff. Figured the name and changes fit pretty well.

In any case, the project itself started simply because I found myself with 8 HiVi M3N drivers and a pair of Dayton 10" subs. These were all purchased around 18 months ago actually, so it's purely coincidental the subs are on sale yet again, though I initially bought them around the same price point.

In any case, I've been looking for a project to use this stuff in as the small 2-ways speakers I tried turned out near useless in my apartment, and frankly I don't remember why I purchased the subs. But I had stumbled across Curt's "Cinderella " build some time ago when I first debated the Statement Monitors a year or so ago.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CinderellaCPic-521x446.jpg Views:	2 Size:	51.8 KB ID:	944065

First thought: "God that's a goofy looking speaker"
    Second thought: "But I do have drivers that might work...if I actually knew how to adapt the design"
    Third thought: "I better get with Curt before I break something"

So the design began. The long and short of it - we decided that the M3N is probably close enough to a drop in replacement for the B3N that no crossover changes will be required until I take a listen. The low end will be changed fairly significantly though, new components all around (I can get the values to anyone interested) along with the driver wired in series. Final results will be closer to a 16 ohm load which would be pretty great for low-end gear...and I suppose my XPA-2 will handle it just fine.

So the crossovers have been sorted and parts bought, everything pretty much sitting on the coffee table awaiting assembly and initial trial this weekend. That left me with the cabinet to change up a bit. Discussion with Curt yielded two possibilities - a ~1.75 cubic foot sealed box, or a ~2.5 cubic foot cabinet ported to down to 20 Hz. Given that I owned the majority of the drivers and this is supposed to be something of a budget hobby build, I figured I should go for gold and get as much as I could out of these $20 "subs".

Ported it was! But getting 2.5 cubes wasn't easy, and involved widening and deepening the base significantly, with a slight rise in height. I also wanted to test out some ideas for bracing - not that this subwoofer should really require it, but because I wanted to see what I could do for future, more expensive builds. So I decided that the side panels for the top portion would serve as bracing for the bottom, with the port itself set between the braces in a down-firing alignment.

Unfortunately this dictated widening the top cabinet, as it was a 3" port (nearly 3.5" OD). This actually worked out well, as the wider top portion meshed well with the larger lower portion. I has seen this done before by another fine gentleman of this site that apparently worked out well with a decent edge put on it. It also ended up with some nice 'shoulders' of sorts that I think work out pretty well. It's closer to a 2.2-2.3 cube enclosure as well, so I will experiment with thicker foam on the sides and lightly stuff the box to start off.

In any case - too many words, not enough pictures.

Images not available

Haven't attached the back portion yet as I didn't have time, but that should work out well for various reasons....mostly because I still haven't determined where I'm putting the crossovers yet. Have a couple ideas though so hopefully once they're together I'll be able to finish that out. Need to get the bottom put on too, with some form of riser or feet for the port to breathe.

In any case, I've got a lot of work to do yet, but a lot of the heavy stuff is done and out of the way. After spending a few days working with MDF my nose is finally starting to get cleared up - next time I'm going to nix the dust mask and grab a P95!
    Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 15:06 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image links
    - Danny
  • Undefinition
    • Dec 2006

OH MY GOD!!! You must love cutting holes! It's impeccable; it looks like a connect 4 game board. Everything in a 5 mile radius must be covered in MDF dust!

But seriously, it looks great so far. Wanna build my cabs for me?
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
    Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• technodanvan
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Undefinition
      OH MY GOD!!! You must love cutting holes! It's impeccable; it looks like a connect 4 game board. Everything in a 5 mile radius must be covered in MDF dust!

But seriously, it looks great so far. Wanna build my cabs for me?
      Haha...I seem to have some weirdness when it comes to speaker internals. I really like the inside to look nice and organized for some reason, then get lazy on the outside!

But yeah, I did that with a drill press and a forstner bit - I never would have tried it with a router! Still took around 90 minutes or so for all ~150+ holes, then rounded them all off on a table router.

Because they look better that way.

I'm considering using some eDead from Elemental Designs on the interior panels all around. I've never used it before, but I've always wanted to try some of their products since I went to college all of an hour or two away from them. Plus eDead goes with the whole Halloween coincidence thing, right?

In any case, thanks for the comments! I'd be happy to work on some cabs for you sometime, but I imagine the shipping wouldn't be too hot while I'm still in AZ! I'm actually from Iowa, so maybe someday I'll get back to the green.

Depending on how these sound I may have to make a handful of your 'Overnight Sensations' to go along with them!
      - Danny

Comment

• evilskillit
        • Oct 2008

Good thing you took some pics, it'd be sad for that beautiful internal bracing to go unseen. I have a feeling these are going to be fantastic, keep us posted.

Comment

• Curt C
          • Feb 2005

Wow! well turned out enclosures. Nice work! No doubt there is a little Transylvanian mad scientest blood in you somewhere...

Click image for larger version

Name:	madscientestpic.jpg
Views:	1902
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	855445
          Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 15:06 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location
          Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• technodanvan
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

Not sure about 'Transylvanian Mad Scientist', but I think there are more than a few people who would call me 'moderately insane engineer guy'!

It amazes me how I can go on such spurts of production then allow any and all ambition to dwindle away to nothing for extended periods, only to come roaring back.

From what I can tell, this is not isolated to me.

Anywho, I have a lot of time off for Christmas/New Year's so FINALLY put together the crossovers. And because keeping the internals 'pretty' is so dang important to me, I went ahead and sleeved all the cables going in there.

Because why not, right?

I'm hoping to take some vacation in late January/early February to finish the boxes, but we'll see how that ambition thing is working for me come that time.

Image not available
            Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 15:07 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image link
            - Danny

Comment

• dawg1161
              • May 2006

Just wondering if you are in Az or Ia ?
              Those are wonderful cabinets...............................

John.

Comment

• technodanvan
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by dawg1161
                Just wondering if you are in Az or Ia ?
                Those are wonderful cabinets...............................

John.
                Thanks!

I'm in Arizona right now...but I pay taxes in Iowa.

Probably should remove Ames from the profile, but I'd be either there, Ankeny, or Des Moines if/when I ever get to go back.
                - Danny

Comment

• technodanvan
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2009

After months of waiting I have finally been able to put together some rather crude drawings to show the dimensions I used. I cannot stress enough that I design and build things at the same time, none of this pre-engineering stuff that makes life so much easier.

In any case, if anyone has a desire to put these together let me know if you have questions. My boxes are not yet complete, so neither are the drawings. However, it should get you the information you need.

I think.

In any case I still have not been able to break away from work so these sit in the exact same state they did months ago. I'm trying to gather all necessary parts so I can take a 4 day weekend and finish off the building process here in the next month or so.

The crossovers are largely unchanged, but I'll post what Curt recommended to me via PM.

Originally posted by Curt C
                  Danny,

I did some box modeling of the SD270A today, simulating the voice coils in series, parallel, and a single vc, and compared them to the response and sensitivity of the original DC200 used in the Cinderella’s.

Paralleling the vc’s made the SD270 6dB more sensitive than the DC200, and there is no way to make the M3M’s sensitivity match that. The single vc model required a room sized enclosure, so I threw that possibility out. That left the series connection of the voice coils…

The series connection provided the required sensitivity to match the mids, and models to provide an f3 in the mid 50’s in 1.75 cu. Ft. sealed. An additional 10 Hz extension could be gained with a 2.5 cu. Ft. vented enclosure tuned to 20 Hz -But you have a 3” x 17” port to try and hide somewhere… -I suppose you could run it vertical externally up and behind the mid/tweeter enclosure, -But using the vent opening as an ash tray might be too tempting for some. ;^) –You could put an elbow on it for rear firing, however, and to make it less tempting…

Consequently I suggest the series vc connection in a 1.75 ft^3 sealed enclosure. You can expect about 105 dB max SPL at Xmax.

Now, the 16 ohm woofer load will be easy on the amplifier, but unfortunately this requires the values to change on the woofer crossover:

L1011 will increase to around 7.0 to 7.5 mH –the Erse 18 laminated core inductor will work well. Or hook up your 2 3.7mH in series if you’ve already purchased them.

1021 and C1041 will be 33 uF (NPE’s will be fine)

R1041 will increase to 16 ohms.

Let me know what you think.
                  I opted for the ported variant of course, but I'm trying to get as much for my money as possible with these. I doubt they'll replace my current towers, but I had the parts and needed to do something with them. I'll probably work on some larger towers this summer, but this keeps me from spending money. Sort of.

Anywho, just give me a holler if you have any questions. I have .pdf versions of the scans so if that would work better for you please feel free to PM me your email address, the file size is too large to post here.

(Yes, that is engineer's handwriting...I'm sorry ops: )

Image not available

Image not available

Image not available
                  Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 15:07 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image links
                  - Danny

Comment

• dawg1161
                    • May 2006

Thank You Dan.

John.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"