X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Constantine ...

This was just okay storywise. I wasn't familiar with the Graphic Novel (?) or comic book it was based on, so I don't know how the film fares in that regard.Anyway, for those who don't know or haven't seen Constantine,he had taken his own life and was doomed to hell. But Constantine was born with these special powers to see things others can't ( demons) and so, by performing exorcisms on demon-posessed innocents, he is trying to buy his way into heaven. And the fact that he has lung cancer isn't helping things timewise. Well there is a lot of abra cadabra the had me confused at times, but ol' Constantine manages to come through in the end.
    Very good picture quality here, and a soundtrack that will have your walls shaking if you have a good subwoofer setup. I just rented and that was fine with me.

:3: out of 5.
    My Homepage!
  • Nick M
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Funny, I also just watched it.

I thought the underlying story was fantastic, as well as the casting. The directing lacked somewhat, as well as the script. The beginning had me rolling my eyes as it tore greatly from the exorcist. Oddly enough, I thought it had a top-notch ending worthy of status amongst sci-fi/action movies.

Some parts seemed unnecessary, and I found a few "Gadgets" to be kinda corny. Overall it was an enjoyable rent.

I wish it had a better director though.

:3: out of :5: (close to 3 1/2). A good action/sci-fi film. Try renting it. I'm satisfied with seeing it once though.
    ~Nick

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I totally agree with your comments, Nick.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Kingdaddy
        • Jan 2004

Too much Catholic Mythology for my taste, but still somewhat entertaining, especially his whole smoking problem.
        My Center Channel Project

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

I think George and Nicholas hit the nail on the head. Enjoyable rent but not too much more than that.

I enjoyed Hellboy better.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Totally agree with the concensus on this one.

Comment

• cinema bob
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Shane Martin
              I think George and Nicholas hit the nail on the head. Enjoyable rent but not too much more than that.

I enjoyed Hellboy better.
              yes hellboy was a far superior film. but then guillermo del toro is a very talented director. his film "the devil's backbone" is a great ghost story.

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I enjoyed it. You guys sumed it up well.
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Feb 2002

Originally posted by cinema bob
                  yes hellboy was a far superior film. but then guillermo del toro is a very talented director. his film "the devil's backbone" is a great ghost story.
                  I don't know about that....I thought Hellboy was about the same swing and a miss. Both movies warrant a part II. Hellboy had its troubles but less so than Constantine because it remained more consistent in the world it set up. Constantine's look and premise has greater "potential" than the slightly formulaic hellboy..... However Ron Perlman is the only one to play that role, he simply kicked ass in the part....

best line "Aw crap...." (over and over and... :lol: )

The exorcism didn't go far enough, was a bad ripoff of the exorcist (as mentioned) and explained zero on the mirror thing. There was actually very "little" Catholic mythology in there.... they used one part (as far as I could tell) to move the story through and that was the idea regarding suicides not being natural deaths (and that one is hotly debated in the Catholic church quite often)....the rest....<insert Christian-based religion here>
                  Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                    • Jan 2002

I was rather disappointed myself... I expected more. I almost bought it before I rented it because of the trailers it looked so interesting. It just let me down so I got this attitude about it. Still an okay movie though.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"