X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gostan
    • May 2003

The Complete Monterey Pop Festival

I spent some browsing time at Newbury Comics and picked up a used copy (perfect condition) of Criterion's 4 disc film set. Engrossing is the least descriptive word that I can use to describe this box set.

The 1967 video quality is far better than I could imagine and I listened to the 5.1 DTS sound for my first viewing/listening and will try out the DD 5.1 later.

The initial highlights are the the strength of John Phillips of the Mamas & Papas as a leader, a surprising performance of Windy by the Association, everything by Jefferson Airplane with Grace Slick and Marty Balin making sweet music, Otis Redding with Booker T & the MG's showing that Memphis soul outdoes Motown every day of the week and Jimi Hendrix, et als.

The Jimi Hendrix and Otis Reading outtake discs are worth the price of the entire package, but the highlight of the entire show is Janis Joplin bluesing out her mantra version of Ball & Chain. I had the opportunity to see her live about 8 months later and there is no doubt that she was the best there ever was from 1967 through 1968, and this film memorializes her talent along with all of the others mentioned here and the many other performers who also performed at Monterey.

The youthfulness and talent of these performers cast on these films during that summer of love makes this for me the best live music video of all times. I cannot believe that it took me this long to own it.
    Stan
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"