X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Being Julia

This film isn't for everyone, that's for sure. If you don't like the work of W. Somerset Maugham you probably won't like Being Julia because the movie is based on his 1937 novel " Theatre". For those who do like semi-classical literature, and can identify somewhat with what live theater is all about ( I did some live theater in my mid-twenties), this is an excellent film.

Julia Lambert ( Anette Bening) is an excellent actress but at the age of 45 she is bored with her marriage, the stage and her life in general. When a young American takes an interest in her and professes his love, her zest for life is renewed. But her new found love turns into a disaster when her young American lover starts to show interest in a beautiful up and coming actress. When the young actress is given a part in Julia's new play she becomes a threat to Julia's career. But Julia is no pushover and how she resolves her problems with this cunning young actress is a surprise best left to those who really want to see this film.

The acting , writing and direction is all top notch, and the music is right out of the thirties.

:45:
    My Homepage!
  • Patt
    • Feb 2005

Sounds interesting George......I'll see if I can find it next time out.
    ......Pat

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"