Clear All
  • JOY DIVISION
    • Aug 2004

Motorcycle Diaries

This is one great movie!!!
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I'm not familiar with this film, Fred. Tell me something about it. I'm curious.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
      • Aug 2004

It's a story about Che Guevara that happened in the 50's who goes on a road trip with a friend on a motorcycle to journey Latin America. It's a perfect story, I thought Che was a real radical man but watching this flick gave me a different idea of what his principles where? George, make this film a must when it comes out next week.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Thanks, looks like something I'd like. I'll keep an eye out for it.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
          • Aug 2004

Let me know what you think when you watch it, i didn't want to give away the story.

Comment

• Frustrated
            • Jan 2005

Che

Originally posted by JOY DIVISION
            It's a story about Che Guevara that happened in the 50's who goes on a road trip with a friend on a motorcycle to journey Latin America. It's a perfect story, I thought Che was a real radical man but watching this flick gave me a different idea of what his principles where? George, make this film a must when it comes out next week.
            The Motorcycle Diaries is grossly inaccurate. Che is one of my idols, and I've read alot about him. Most of what is discribed in the motocycle diaries never happened. He and his best friend did take a trip through Latin America, but not on an Indian motorcycle. Che was a child of privilege growing up in Argentina, and got to experience first hand what wretched poverty can do to an entire country like Chile. The seeds of his revolutionary ideas were sown there.He then met Castro in Mexico in 1955, and then on to Cuba to topple the tyranical Batista government in 1959.

A movie about Che's life will be coming out in the near future starring Benicio Del Torro (probably in late 2005, early 2006). Che was a man of the people, and that's why he was so loved, but he could also be ruthless and naive. His legacy still lives on to this day.

PS: I consider Che one of my idols but I am NOT a communist

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Will do, Fred.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
                • Aug 2004

It's a Norton 500 not an Indian?

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by JOY DIVISION
                  It's a Norton 500 not an Indian?
                  Wow, a Norton, I remember those bikes, British I believe. I new someone who owned an Norton 800 Commando, wow does that bring back memories.

I digress, now back to the movie.

Azeke

Comment

• Nick M
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Interesting info frustrated.

I too have been waiting to see this film. I will have to look into Che's younger years so I can compare truth to fiction in the film.
                    ~Nick

Comment

• Danbry39
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Sep 2002

Wow, a Norton, I remember those bikes, British I believe. I new someone who owned an Norton 800 Commando, wow does that bring back memories.
                      I used to own a Commando about a million years ago. It was faaaaaassssssssstttttt!!!

About the movie at hand, I have no doubt that it strays quite a bit from historical accuracy, but I personally won't let that deter me from seeing something I'll probably enjoy. Same thing goes for movies like Hidalgo and Return to Neverland.

I've been patiently waiting for this film's release on DVD for a while now.
                      Keith

Comment

• Frustrated
                        • Jan 2005

I stand corrected. It was a Norton, not an Indian. I'll stil wait wait for the movie about his life starring Benicio Del Torro.

Nick, if you're interested in learning more about Che there is a great book called:CompaNero The life and death of Che Guevara Written by Jorge G. CastaNeda

Comment

• Dr C
                          • Feb 2003

The Motorcycle Diaries is quite an interesting story about 2 doctors who go on the road trip from Argentina round the west coast of South America. It's not a kind of show you want to show off your HT with but the story line is quite compelling and aims to champion the cause of the common folk; especially the exploited Indians and the sick (lepers).

Very early on you sense the character of the 2 - one of them idealistic and the other more down to earth. As the story develops, you see the changes that transformed one of them from a foolish romantic to become a champion of the people.

It blew my mind to find out in the end that this was the infamous "Che Guevara". Didn't know much about the guy till this film and while it may be inaccurate, the story in the film is nothing to be ashamed about - if anything it shows his tender side. What's were the parts that were inaccurate?

Comment

• Marta
                            • Feb 2005

The film is based on Guevara's journals and a book written by Alberto Granado (who was at the trip). So, I do the same question: "What's were the parts that were inaccurate?"

Sorry about my bad English.

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Hi Marta, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

Please don't apologize for your English. It is certainly MUCH better than my (or most others') Portuguese! How is life in Brazil?

Frustrated/Larry, can you elaborate on the inaccuracies? I'm curious, too.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Frustrated
                                • Jan 2005

Che

David you asked me to elaborate so I will. Most of the trip was NOT done on the back of a motorcycle. It's true Che and his best friend did make the trip, but it turned out to be everything but joyous. Che and his best friend weren't just doctors. They were also cops, teachers, farmers, and much more. Che did document his experience in a diary, but most of it was about the suffering of the people he encountered, and how no one cared about them. He saw first hand the rift between 2 socities: the ulta poor peasants who had next to nothing, and the ultra rich who were corrupt, and had everything. This picture is a romanticized hollywood road movie. Seeing what he saw made him furious, and he decided to try to change the world. I can't help but admire that. The seeds of La Revolution were sown there. That didn't show up in the movie either.

Comment

• Marta
                                  • Feb 2005

Hi David!!

Well, life in Brazil is like always: a lot of misery , a lot of riches... and of course, a lot of hope!!!

Comment

• Nick M
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2004

Rented It.

It was enjoyable. I'm not up on my history with Che as Frustrated is, so I didn't have anything to reference to. The story and flow was great. The thing I most enjoyed was the emphasis on the adventure itself, and not so much as a plot that built to an ending. This is what roadtrips are all about... not the starting or ending point, but the miles between.

Well done as far as a story goes. I plan to buy it.

:4: out of :5:
                                    ~Nick

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"