X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

ANCHORMAN ... hmmm....

Right from the beginning, I have been a big Saturday Night Live fan and am always interested in the careers of the players after they leave the show and try their hand at films. The latest departee is Will Farrell. Now I'll be honest, I have always found Will's humor to be hit or miss on SNL, and this seems to be carrying over into his films, at least in the case of ANCHORMAN, which, for me, was a miss.
    The premise held promise: The once male dominated world of tv news and Anchormen is threatened by the emergence of female newscasters. But Farrel, who co-wrote the screenplay, didn't seem to know whether this should be 90 minutes of smart comedy or 90 minutes of silliness. Unfortunately the latter prevailed and because of this the film falls flat on its kisser. At times it even tries to emulate Monty Python and fails miserably. So unless you are a hardcore Farrell fan, you may want to try a rental first. It isn't a complete write-off. There were a few moments of genuine humor. But it just could have been so much better.

:1: and mostly because of a gorgeous, sexy Christina Applegate.
    My Homepage!
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Will Farrel is mostly "miss" rather than "hit" most of the time, (a major exception being the surprisingly affecting "Elf" where his relentless silliness actually worked for the character he played), so if "a gorgeous, sexy Christina Applegate" wasn't enough to get "Anchorman" TWO stars, then it probably isn't even worth a rental.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

OK, ALRIGHT , Burke, I give :2: because of Christina. :W
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Nick M
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Rented It.

I think Will Ferrell is fantastic in skits and improv, but so far hasn't hit me big with any of his films. While I thought the movie was terrible, the 1/2hr worth of bloopers in the special features section was side-splitting. I think Will Ferrell is a very funny guy, but no director has used him yet correctly.

:15: out of :5:
        ~Nick

Comment

• Sarahbee
          • Jun 2005

Rented this over the weekend...I love Will Ferrell but my love for him didn't save the movie. We actually stopped watching it the first time but picked it up again and got through it. It had a few funny moments, most of all the line that he got fired for reading off of the teleprompter But overall, it felt like a very long SNL skit. Will can do better!
          "We have so much time and so little to do. Strike that, reverse it." - Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

I love his stuff on SNL. I think his SNL movies are better than a lot of the one's he's doing now. A Night At The Roxybury, Superstar, and The Ladies' Man those are hilarious. After SNL he had some good stuff, but his newer stuff is ehhh. Zoolander (Happy.. happy... happy lol) was great, Elf was.. ok, and Old School was just ok. Anchorman had it's moments, but wasn't up to par. Starsky and Hutch sucked. I don't want to see Kicking & Screaming or Bewitched.
            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"