X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sithlord
    • Aug 2004

Aladdin DVD Region 4

I hope someone else can ease my suffering. I watched Aladdin with the enhanced mix and the dialogue comes out of all three front speakers. I called J.B Hi (where I bought it from) and the manager owns the Region 1 and he said it's the same on his copy. When you select the normal mix though the dialogue only comes from the centre channel which is correct,so whats up with the enhanced mix?? I have read every review that I could find on the net and nobody is complaining about it not even Widescreen.com and they pick up on most things. Has anyone else noticed this issue with their copy? I would be interested in your thoughts.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Simon, is the dialog directional? I mean when someone on the left side of the picture speaks, does the dialog come out of the left speaker only? Or, is the dialog for that character coming out of all three (L/C/R) speakers at the same time?

I remember coming across a thread (or threads) several months back on another DVD with directional dialog. Some liked it and some didn't. Unfortunately, I don't remember any more details.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

I recall seeing a little negative reaction to the "enhanced" mix where they complained bgoth about this and the vocals on the songs being spread out to the surrounds. I have not watched my copy yet, but will chime back in once I have.

BB

Comment

• Sithlord
        • Aug 2004

David if that was the case then all would be well. The dialogue comes from the front 3 channels at the same time. I have recieved an e-mail back from a site that reviewed the disc (region 4) and they also agree, but they believe it is intentional and theres nothing wrong with the mix. To me it just sounds wrong (enhanced mix) and the theatrical mix sounds like all movies should sound in regards to the dialogue being centered. If this is indeed on purpose then I guess thats what we get stuck with. :roll:

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

That's interesting. Disney's surround mix on the Lion King was very nice. I don't recall any problems with channel dispersion on LK. I would imagine that they used the same process (or refined it a bit) with Aladdin, if it is offered as an option.
          Last edited by Chris D; 26 October 2004, 14:25 Tuesday.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Yuck. Just thinking about it, that doesn't work for me. Voices are a point source - unless it's a PA system. : Having dialog come from a 6-foot wide area will be most distracting and unnatural.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

I haven't had a chance to view a copy but the response was that the Enhanced Mix was not preferred over the normal 5.1 mix. Hopefully soon I can confirm that with my own ears.

Comment

• Sithlord
                • Aug 2004

When I first tried the movie watching the start I didn't pick the problem. It was until I sat to one side of the room that it was apparant that the dialog was coming from the front speakers. The reviewer also said that it's lower in the front channels, but I would have to disagree it's the same volume to me. I'm very surprised that no other reviewer has mentioned it very odd and some have said that the dialog is warm,natural and very clear :roll: Yeah thats because it's coming from all fronts. Looking forward to hearing your opinions after you have watched it.

Just recieved another response to an e-mail I sent to another reviewer, and he said pretty much the same thing as the other guy. It was done to make the soundtrack sound more open and that the dialog is lower in the front L&R speakers compared to the centre. He agreed that the original mix sounded better with the dialog being centered. I guess it is now up to personal choice. I'm just glad it's not a pressing error.
                Last edited by Sithlord; 27 October 2004, 06:22 Wednesday.

Comment

• Nick M
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

This being my favorite Disney Film, I just purchased the Region 1 Special Edition.

Personally I like the vocals in the Disney Enhanced DD 5.1 Soundtrack. From what I can tell, its not like you have 1 channel playing out of all three front speakers. When someone in a large hall is speaking, you should hear a little bit of resonance to the sides of the central voice, and even a hint in the surrounds. I think this enhances the soundstage dramatically, and makes the center channel dissapear better. I tried using different pre/pro effects to do this artifically, but it ruins the imaging, its something that has to be done when its mixed.

Anyhoo, I loved this movie when I first saw it (Iago is great) and finally found it at the store. A must have for any animation fan.

:4: out of :5:
                  ~Nick

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"