X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Movie ships

Sorta OT, but this weekend went down to San Diego Harbor Maritime museum. They had the HMS Surprise, the ship which was the main location for Master & Commander, on display, as well as the Lady Washington, which was fitted out as the Interceptor in Pirates OTC, available for short cruises and a mock cannon battle with another sailing ship. Kinda cool.

BB
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Now THAT's cool! :T

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Oh to live in California... 8)

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

I'm in a very small minority (of one, near as I can tell), but I'd actually trade weather with you George.

BB

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Today it's about 27 degrees Farenheit and it's snowing. Are you sure you'd really want to trade weather ?

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

Yep, love to trade. I was born in MA and spent a chunk of childhood in Arlington, VA. Not up to Canada winters, but I have had enough stinking sunny hot days to last me the rest of my life. I like cold.

Running my air conditioning on Thanksgiving and Christmas pisses me off. Having ants invade my house just because IT'S COOLER INDSIDE or to find water pisses me off. Being able to fry an egg on the roof of a white car pisses me off. Having to give up part of the woodshop, I mean garage, because my wife and kid will burn themselves on the car seats in the summer if it is parked in the driveway pisses me off. Forget to run your sprinklers for a week? Your lawn just died.

Now I've gone way off topic. To return to a bit more on topic, was kind of depressing watching the extras on Pirates where they show the ride through of the attraction back when it opened compared to the state my fine employer has let it get to now. Actually, that probably a good way to start a rant too.

How about them patriots?

BB

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

Brandon --

I hope you get your wish to live in the climate you really enjoy. It is unfortunate for people to hate the area they live in, regardless of climate. The simple answer of course is to move. But I realize that actually doing it isn't all that simple, even if you detest many things about the current situation.

OTOH, I am already living where I want to be. When I was a kid in Minnesota, I thought surviving extreme cold was human kind's natural condition and slogging through snow drifts taller than me was the way it was supposed to be.. But since I have a choice now as an adult, anyplace north of the 70 degree isotherm is too darned cold. :>)

Houston may be hot in the summer, but that is what air conditioning is for. I really LIKE being able to go outside in January and feel comfortable in shirtsleeves, and if we get precipitation, it is rain, not snow. (If I want to see snow at Christmas, I can always play a movie.) :>) I've often thought about where else I'd want to live and after sorting through all the factors, I haven't yet found a better place. (Of course, if the "right" job offer came along, I'd consider it, even if it were not in Houston. After all, San Antonio and Austin are nice, too.) :>)

Burke

PS -- one of my high school classmates used to be manager of a maritime museum in San Diego. Have no idea if any of the vessels on display there were ever in any movies, but the climate sure is different from Minnesota. ;>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Burke Said, " If I want to see snow at Christmas, I can always play a movie."

Heh Heh, when I want to see sunshine during the winter I can always play a movie. A recent one, set in Florida ( Out Of Time ) realley warmed the cockles of my heart. :LOL:

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"